The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

I think the problem about episode VII is the impact the Movies had on my childhood. They were my childhood. I even adored the prequels. And I know no matter how good the rest are, I will inevitably end up disappointing.

But hey, maybe you guys are right. Maybe I should remain optimistic.

That isn't the topic at hand. The topic at hand is the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney. My preference would be for Star Wars to remain dead. But my preference would be for them to Pixar Star Wars rather than do a brooding update. Star Wars was made for a tween audience. Nolan is too dark, Whedon is acceptable but does leave his fingerprints all over anything he writes and Abrams AFAIK doesn't write anyway just produces/directs.

I don't really care who directs something, it's the same as saying 'OMG we could have Andrew Garfield as older Luke yay!' If it's going to happen I would much rather discuss who could write the script. Out of your three Whedon is the only possible option. Nolan is too adult/mopey unless we are suddenly rebooting for a different demographic to the originals (which I personally think would be a dick move).

I'm not a huge fan of the Nolan Batmans, but I don't think having him at the helm would be a bad move. The prequels are very kids oriented. The original three are more adult than those. Making the last three a darker tale seems to complete that trend if they go that way. I'm not saying they will do it or they should do it, but I do think it would fit thematically.

It would also fit because the original fans of Star Wars are no longer tweens. If you wanted to appeal to the Star Wars audience (I would say this most drastically hits the current age market of 25-40 year olds) the films need to be fit to do so.

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,"

Yeah, Ok.. you haven't been saying that for the last 10 years, Disney drops 4b into your lap and suddenly your tune is changed.

Thank Fuck. Disney can't do worse than Episodes 1-2, 3 was alright in the sense that this shit was finally over. I'll go see Ep 7, Disney hasn't shit the bed on anything in the last 15 years.

Really? I'm sorry, but I've heard some bad reviews from some of their films... Cars 2, for example.

Why wouldn't this be good news? Disney clearly had a plan for Marvel and successfully pulled off the definitive comic book movie by giving the fans exactly what they wanted.

Star Wars has been in a ditch since 97 and though some people take the pissyness about the special editions and the prequels too far, now that the franchise is out of Lucas's hands, we can get the first real new idea for Star Wars on the big screen since Jedi. If you think Disney is going to piss that away, you're insane. I am 100% for this... okay 99% since Disney is still evil, but I don't see how this is guaranteed to suck as so many of you are acting like.

• Like 14

Fuck anything about Lucas doing it for money - you think Lucas actually needs money? That he doesn't have enough to sustain himself and likely generation of his family at this point? That's complete and utter bullshit. I did some reading a few months back thankfully, and I came to find out that basically yeah - Lucas wasn't entirely sure what he was going to do with the franchise. There's a good chance he saw what Disney did with Marvel indeed - and thought it to be a good decision.

• Like 1

They only have to make a better film than Revenge of the Sith.

Give me a few weeks and I could pen a better Star Wars film than Revenge of the Sith. They'd have to really try to fuck it up.

Just leave Damon Lindelof out of it and it'll be fine.

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,"

Yeah, Ok.. you haven't been saying that for the last 10 years, Disney drops 4b into your lap and suddenly your tune is changed.

Thank Fuck. Disney can't do worse than Episodes 1-2, 3 was alright in the sense that this shit was finally over. I'll go see Ep 7, Disney hasn't shit the bed on anything in the last 15 years.

Really? I'm sorry, but I've heard some bad reviews from some of their films... Cars 2, for example.

I liked Cars 2, I think critics just fancied hitting Pixar for making something that wasn't absolutely perfect for once.

I think the problem about episode VII is the impact the Movies had on my childhood. They were my childhood. I even adored the prequels. And I know no matter how good the rest are, I will inevitably end up disappointing.

(Not really calling you yourself out for this post, more for the thought that tends to stem from this attitude.)

Man, I hate this attitude so much. You see it a lot with Star Wars fans -- the fact that Lucas had the gall to make new Star Wars movies ruins their childhood. No. Someone making new movies based on a thing you like does not invalidate your childhood. They are helping make someone else's. Quom (I think) said it best, these are movies for kids. If adults can find something they like in it too, awesome, it did better than it had to. But I also have spoken to a lot of kids who really like the prequels because that's the Star Wars that they grew up on. And, in a few years there will be a new batch and that's awesome for those kids.

• Like 4

That isn't the topic at hand. The topic at hand is the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney. My preference would be for Star Wars to remain dead. But my preference would be for them to Pixar Star Wars rather than do a brooding update. Star Wars was made for a tween audience. Nolan is too dark, Whedon is acceptable but does leave his fingerprints all over anything he writes and Abrams AFAIK doesn't write anyway just produces/directs.

I don't really care who directs something, it's the same as saying 'OMG we could have Andrew Garfield as older Luke yay!' If it's going to happen I would much rather discuss who could write the script. Out of your three Whedon is the only possible option. Nolan is too adult/mopey unless we are suddenly rebooting for a different demographic to the originals (which I personally think would be a dick move).

I'm not a huge fan of the Nolan Batmans, but I don't think having him at the helm would be a bad move. The prequels are very kids oriented. The original three are more adult than those. Making the last three a darker tale seems to complete that trend if they go that way. I'm not saying they will do it or they should do it, but I do think it would fit thematically.

The original three films really aren't all that "adult-oriented". Empire Strikes Back, to an extent, is more "adult", but the prequels really aren't any more kid-oriented than the originals were, overall. The main market for Star Wars now, though, is younger - the Clone Wars cartoon, and the merchandising machine that comes with that. To do a "grown up" series of movies now would be terrible business - because adults are going to go and see a new Star Wars movie regardless, but you can't cut off a good half or more of the existing fanbase by making it unsuitable for them.

Ultimately, though, the existence of new Star Wars movies doesn't invalidate what you liked about the old ones. It just means there will be more shit ones. And, Lucas or no Lucas, I have low, low expectations.

Taking the franchise out of the hands of George Lucas and giving it to someone who genuinely cares about that universe is surely a good thing?

Whether that last part will happen is yet to be seen, I know, but I have faith in Disney. They turned Marvel Studios around with that mentality.

Taking the franchise out of the hands of George Lucas and giving it to someone who genuinely cares about that universe is surely a good thing?

It's not "out of the hands of George Lucas", though. He's still a "creative consultant", and he's been "retiring" since Return Of The Jedi. He'll be involved. Maybe not as strongly, but he will be.

But all the "expanded universe" Star Wars stuff is awful, so I have no real desire to see Star Wars in the hands of someone who "genuinely cares", because it'll be the same old crap again anyway. Future Star Wars films are just un-necessary, and only save to clutter things up.

The worst thing about the prequels for me, more than the horrendous storytelling, lack of pacing, fucking Podracing, shallow characters, racism and continuity errors by the dozen, was that they had to make everything connect together. So you get stupid things like Yoda hanging out with Chewbacca, like Boba fucking Fett being hugely important because he's got a fanwank following now, rather than being the bog-standard baddy he was in the original trilogy with ten words of dialogue across two movies yet somehow getting a fanbase, or - worst of all - Anakin Skywalker building C3PO.

It just completely ruins the main appeal of the original trilogy - that it feels like it exists in a larger, wider world, where all sorts of things are going on all the time, and turns it into a silly little story someone thought up. The escapism is gone when you make that world smaller by design.

• Like 3

The only objection I would have to another Star Wars is that it would pretty much have to be animated because nobody should ever play Han Solo except Harrison Ford.

Well, that, and Solo's kids never make an appearance because those brats are individually worse than six Jar Jars each.

The main difference between the original trilogy and the prequels is Lucas though. He was restricted by budget and other voices the first time around, the prequels were all him. Even as a "Creative consultant" he won't have free reign any more, significantly increasing the chances of this going well. I'm not suggesting you put it in the hands of a fanboy, I am suggesting you put it in the hands of a capable filmmaker who wants to get his teeth into the Star Wars universe and good something genuinely good - like with The Avengers.

If I was given the choice I'd rather Star Wars was left alone. But that isn't a choice we have. Best we can do is ignore it is happening or just hope the team behind the wheel turn it into a strong film.

And then they'll retroactively pin the entire plot on Salacious Crumb because, hey, people liked that guy.

Also, something about Davin Felth, and Porkins, and other minor characters that have names for some reason.

Great news for Kingdom Hearts and Disney World, horrible news for nerds. :shifty:

Oh yes, there better be a Kingdom Hearts deal in this.

Kingdom Hearts III: Delayed to include new level, "The Far Galaxy", voice actors imitating Mark Hamill, Carrie Fischer, Harrison Ford, and Anthony Daniels, and Sora having a keyblade that is basically a green light saber blade shaped like a key. At least that's what I'm hoping is the next announcement to come with this. Then again, that guy that does all of those "basic male sidekick hero" voices at BioWare (Raphael Sbarge) could do Carth Onasi and we could have a KotOR style level.

I just wonder who would be the villain. I mean, yeah, the Emperor would be the obvious pick (especially considering how other villains in the series have appeared), but it'd be a little more interesting to have something else.

Lucas should be somewhat involved, just less than he was for the prequels... or Empire and Jedi, which were movies he didn't direct.

And I just don't get this "leave it alone" mentality. Why? No one says that about Marvel, DC, Star Trek, Bond, Buffy, or any other "nerdy" franchise. It has weaved itself directly into the culture and its massive universe have so many places you can explore without even touching the Luke Skywalker story, why not? I suppose you could make the argument that someone should try to make a new Star Wars, not literally, but some new pop culture phenomenon, but that doesn't mean Star Wars can't be further explored. And explored well.

Some stories reach their natural conclusion, sure... but Star Wars is one of those things that just doesn't need to.

• Like 2