The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

I want to talk a little bit about plot spoilers, but I want to make sure my tags work first, so if you are reading this, come back in a few minutes.

So I took my son and 4 of his friends this morning

Spoiler

Glad I was sitting a few rows back from them. Can't be cool mom when you are tearing up over someone's space grandpa getting killed. Haaaaaaaaaan! :crying:

Oh and the thing I was most interested not happening until the last 45 seconds sucked. But I mean it was an amazing movie with so many cool characters and I can't wait for the next one.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Maxx said:

http://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-crawl-creator/?cid=567aec60e4b018152c436895

Wish I could embed it, but go ahead and click for continuation of this joke.

I thought about actually editting in my thoughts but it was leading up to a bad pun and no way am I ever going to top that. Well played.

Attack of the Clones is on Sky Movies at the moment. My god I've never noticed how awful the CGI is. I mean, I hated the fact it was so heavily reliant on effects anyway, but they have aged so, so badly considering the film is only 13 years old. Also on a story related point, the Jedi are made out to be complete chumps. I mean, lets say about 100 arrived on Geonosis yet only about 15 of them survived against some droids? The force wielding Jedi couldn't work out how to block or avoid blaster bolts but Padme doesn't get hit once? Literally the only redeeming feature this film has is the off the scale hotness of Natalie Portman. 

Is it this film or Revenge of the Sith where not one piece of clone trooper was made at all?

The prequels have a multitude of problems but the way the Jedi are portrayed is the one that lends itself the worst to the entire Star Wars universe. The Republic and its economics made no sense, but that's fine Star Wars isn't about that so it's something I can let slide. But it's about the fucking Jedi vs. Sith in so many ways and the prequels didn't manage to make the Jedi look tragic or the Sith look powerful. It made the Jedi look like fools which in turn doesn't make Palpatine look all that sinister and manipulative.

See the overall idea of the prequel's I liked, if someone were to keep the overall plot but re-write it with human dialogue and more logical clashes then it would work fine. I actually, for the most part enjoyed Phantom Menace.

We've been watching through the star wars this Xmas and the same thing stuck out for me with episode 2. The overuse of CGI ruins it. There's so much of it that it distracts you from what they're talking about, the issue was clearly fixed in episode 3 as I didn't notice it as much.

Also I presume that there are more Jedi that survive code 66 than Yoda and Obi Wan or are they the only two? 

I also agree that they undersell the Jedi so much jn the prequels, these group are meant to be in touch with the force etc but fail to suspect a senator with ever growing power until the very final moment?

15 minutes ago, Sam said:

We've been watching through the star wars this Xmas and the same thing stuck out for me with episode 2. The overuse of CGI ruins it. There's so much of it that it distracts you from what they're talking about, the issue was clearly fixed in episode 3 as I didn't notice it as much.

Also I presume that there are more Jedi that survive code 66 than Yoda and Obi Wan or are they the only two? 

I also agree that they undersell the Jedi so much jn the prequels, these group are meant to be in touch with the force etc but fail to suspect a senator with ever growing power until the very final moment?

Yeah, it's right under their noses but not a single person even so much as goes "we should keep an eye on any Senators who are consolidating power just in case". Their mistakes with Anakin made sense in a roundabout way, but all their other mistakes did not.

A common theory is that, like Palpatine hid Thrawn in the books, there were Jedi who always had some people stashed far away as a safe option. But at this point who knows if it'll ever get mentioned.

Well from the canonical animated series Rebels, Ahsoka Tano (Anakin's apprentice from the Clone Wars) and Kanan Jarrus also survived. Some of the clones ignored the order by removing their control chip so it's possible more survived. In the "Legacy" universe, loads of Jedi survived the initial order before being killed by Darth Vader in what was a larger Jedi Purge.

The problem with the Rebels series is the question of where are all of these characters during A New Hope? It can be assumed they are all dead, probably by Vader's hand but that's a bit dark for what is essentially a children's cartoon.

Finally got around to seeing it. I'm not a huge Star Wars guys, but I thought it was a refreshing revamp of the series. The fact that the dialogue was more natural, thus making the new characters more likable was a huge plus. Just a really solid film, and I'm more excited for VIII than I thought I would be.

I saw this movie. I liked this movie. I may or may not have choked up at some points while watching this movie, because oh my god this movie

I haven't read any spoilers in here so it's probably already been discussed, but (SPOILERS FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS OBVS)

Spoiler

Rey has to be related to Luke or someone important, right? I'm thinking she's either Luke's daughter, or she might be Kylo Ren's sister. There's no way she's as strong as Kylo, a guy with Jedi training, and just a random nobody. 

Had a lot of moments during the film where I got choked up because of callbacks to the originals, which were some of my favorite movies as a kid. When Han and Chewie first showed up I nearly cried. 

Loved the parallel between Han and Kylo and Luke and Vader.

I'm probably going to go see this in theaters again. And again. Maybe even again.

Finally saw it Christmas night, well worth the wait

Spoiler

I liked how they built up all the new characters early on and built to the returning Han & Chewie, Leia, C-3PO and R2D2 and finally Luke at the end.

Definitely disappointed that Han died, but Harrison Ford has wanted that for a long time and he's already 73, so I can understand not wanting to stick around for more films over the next 5 years. My heart was racing leading up to the moment when Kylo stabbed him, I could just tell that wasn't going to end well ("I've got a bad feeling about this") and Chewie's sad growl after it happened broke my heart. Han Solo was the original anti-hero in a lot of ways, he was just such a cool character and the prequels suffered from not having a character like Han in them, though Obi Wan had some good one-liners every now and then.

Definitely want to see this again soon. This is the Star Wars we wanted back in 1999, And definitely eager to see Episode VIII and Episode IX to see how this all turns out.