The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

On January 6, 2016 at 00:06, Cloudy said:

I wouldn't say it was better, but..

Hide contents

I did mark out super hard when Han and Chewie showed up, and even when C3P0 and Leia showed up. The ages of 12-14 were big Star Wars years for me, so when I saw things like the Millenium Falcon or Han and Chewie's "we're home" scene, I choked up. I was on the verge of tears when Leia first showed up. 

You couldn't release this movie without the old characters, not the first one in a new saga. Not to mention, of the old guys, Han & Chewie were the only ones with significant screen time. 

• Like 1

About the old characters:

Spoiler

I would have preferred them to just be a part of the story much like Leia was in this one or Yoda in the originals, rather than a main focus. I really hate movies where old men are meant to be seen as physically threatening and a large portion of the movie felt that way with Han. I was actually excited when he died because I thought they had decided he was a central part of this new series. I don't really want half the next movie to be focussed on Luke either.

Finally saw this today, managed to go 100% spoiler free by some miracle.

It was well worth the wait, everything and everyone was perfect. Awesome film.

This is absolutely the Star Wars the young me fell in love with.

You know, everyone keeps saying it's like A New Hope, but I 100% disagree. They borrowed from all 3 movies equally and added in their own twists.

• Like 2

I think the parts which mirrored it closely were very intentional and with purpose rather than just being 'lets make it like the old ones!'. Kylo/Han on the bridge (although arguably that's more Empire) and Rey's story being much like Luke's. 

Agree with the 'own twists' thing too. My favourite probably being seeing Kylo Ren for the first time and thinking hmm, Vader 2.0 I see. Then when he takes off his helmet, not only is he not disfigured, he's basically just a really fucking moody teenager with Daddy issues who is also inexperienced as fuck.

Other things I loved (sorry if I'm repeating things)...

How much Fin and Poe became bros so quickly, Chewbacca getting a ton of personality development despite still only making that one noise and the Nazi-esque general guy who's name I forgot. 

BB8! This droid is Disney as fuck, but I absolutely love the little guy. So cool.

Oh and until it was obviously a hologram, I genuinely thought Snoke was a legit giant. I mean, technically he still may be :P 

I don't see Ren as being moody, more so as an angry young man who can't control his rage. I feel like episodes 8 and 9 will flesh that out a bit more, as to why he is angry and why he went darkside.

The Snoke thing, I definitely feel like is a red herring in some form. The theories being bandied about online and in my store by customers and my staff are all over the place, so they clearly did something right with him. I'm excited to see where this is going, because I don't think this trilogy mirrors the original by the time it's through. I think this trilogy is going to veer off in directions that Lucas never would have had the balls to go towards.

Shit is going to get dark, but it's still Star Wars, so it's gotta end up somewhere brighter by the end of Episode 9.

The emo Kylo stuff is a bit off, I agree. I imagine the pressure he would have faced given who his parents and were and the fact that he is now the future of the legendary Jedi must have been overwhelming and that's how he was manipulated. Look how Han is referred to by Rey & Fin, a legendary smuggler and war hero. Imagine trying to live up to that when that's your family legacy.

For some reason, a good proportion of my friends hate Adam Driver (as well as his interpretation of Ren). Episode VII was the first thing I've actively known who he was before going in (I know he's had bit parts in other films I've seen, such as Lincoln), and I have no problem at all with how he played it. Whether you like the direction the writers went with Ren is one thing, but to criticise the performance is something entirely different. I thought Driver did a pretty good job.

4 hours ago, DFF said:

For some reason, a good proportion of my friends hate Adam Driver (as well as his interpretation of Ren). Episode VII was the first thing I've actively known who he was before going in (I know he's had bit parts in other films I've seen, such as Lincoln), and I have no problem at all with how he played it. Whether you like the direction the writers went with Ren is one thing, but to criticise the performance is something entirely different. I thought Driver did a pretty good job.

He's a good actor but he face looks like a Picasso painting and its not pleasant to look at. 

Stokerina actually said in the middle of watching the film that she was slightly annoyed that Ren wasn't dishier, presumably because she feels that the 20 other good-looking dark/moody/evil/troubled movie antagonist types that she and her contemporaries already lust over aren't enough.

• Like 1