Sign in to follow this  
Katsuya

The Star Wars Thread

Mick    6,374
2 hours ago, StupidSexyFlanders said:

Hopefully nothing happens to Luke.

Well, I'm sure Rey can lend a hand :shifty: 

Colly    14,301

I'm going to attempt to not watch any trailers. I have no chance. 

• Like 1

Hobo    10,786

I'm a big fan of the lil' squeak pal that Chewie got.

• Like 1

Pooker    251

Anybody try to buy tickets yet? 

Mick    6,374

Apparently the introduction of the Porg have created a photoshop battle: 

DLx4XtKX0AMBdaL.jpg

ClouDOOM    17,067

Mick    6,374

Jesus, another trilogy? I'm all for new Star Wars movies, but I think that one of the reasons the prequel trilogy was so successful was due to the time frame that passed between Return of the Jedi and the re-releases. I just hope it doesn't turn into sequel fatigue. 

livid    1,910

People have said the same thing about superhero movies and they seem to be humming along just fine. As long as the quality of movies is good (and I have faith in Johnson to deliver in that regard) then they'll continue to be viable properties. 

angeluzcr    117

I remember reading somewhere that tha new trilogy will be separate from the current one,but set in the same universe, that's why the Marvel movies are still succesful there are several separated stories that come together for a big one every few years.

DoubleX    600

From what I've read, it will be "…from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

A lot of people are clamouring for it to be set in the Old Republic, and I for one would be so keen for that, but I'm honestly just thrilled about the idea of more Star Wars films to explore more of the galaxy than just the Skywalker family fucking everything up.

• Like 2

Maxx    17,319

So we're rewatching the good ones leading up to Last Jedi and we just did Empire last night.  Wow and damn, there is a huge difference between Yoda in Empire and Yoda in the prequels.  I like to think he was driven crazy by years in isolation.  This is the best Yoda.  

• Like 2

Adam es Tranquilo    7,094

We have watched five films in six nights (Rogue One, then the original trilogy, then Force Awakens) in anticipation for going to see Last Jedi on Friday, totally agree. Yoda is a kooky old man and I kinda dig it, was saying to my girlfriend that it makes sense since he's been stuck on a weird swamp planet for 20 years with no one to talk to.

And I will say it again, another re-watch brings me no closer to understanding why people love Boba Fett. He says basically nothing in the whole film, does nothing useful bar follow the Falcon to Cloud City, and dies the death of a total chump in Jedi. If we're talking cool guys who go under the radar, the conversation starts and ends with Wedge.

• Like 1

Gabriel    945

Fett gets talked up a lot during the films, and for me, I was always disappointed that we didn't get to see more from this lethal bounty hunter that Han Solo is rivals with. Then the Expanded Universe started filling in the blanks and really running with Fett, which cemented him as a character I love.

If you're going strictly by the movies though, they sure do tell us a lot about how dangerous he is, but they don't really show it. It's almost like Vince McMahon got to write for Fett.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lanky316    461

I've also been on a film re-watch in anticipation for it, I did still include the prequel trilogy just because I've got that much free time for a couple of days and I'm not doing Awakens since we're going to the 3d double bill tomorrow night. So many little things you notice on rewatches with the original films and can appreciate even when you've seen them umpteen times before.

Benjamin    6,059

I rewatched everything over the past three or so weeks, including Rogue One, and I got to say, Star Wars is pretty terrible :P I only really like the newer ones in Rogue One and the Force Awakens. Both the main protagonists are just so much more compelling and bad ass as characters than Luke ever was. Rey and Jyn are just amazing, they're so much more likeable and incredible to get behind. 

• Like 1

Skummy    36,526
16 hours ago, Maxx said:

So we're rewatching the good ones leading up to Last Jedi and we just did Empire last night.  Wow and damn, there is a huge difference between Yoda in Empire and Yoda in the prequels.  I like to think he was driven crazy by years in isolation.  This is the best Yoda.  

Yoda is pretty much the biggest example of Lucas clearly just not "getting" his own characters, and drastically changing the character from the original films to the prequels. His is a weird mischievous imp when he first shows up, but only because he's teaching Luke a lesson about not judging based on appearances - and the odd syntax is, mostly, just a part of that. Then he becomes more of a Zen master, largely preaching avoidance of violence and so on.

By the prequels he's saying utter nonsense like "up with this I will not put", and having big flashy lightsaber battles - now, did you ever get the impression in Empire or Jedi that Yoda was somehow who ever used a lightsaber? He lifts X-Wings with the power of his mind, he's not some great sodding warrior.

15 hours ago, Adam said:

And I will say it again, another re-watch brings me no closer to understanding why people love Boba Fett. He says basically nothing in the whole film, does nothing useful bar follow the Falcon to Cloud City, and dies the death of a total chump in Jedi. If we're talking cool guys who go under the radar, the conversation starts and ends with Wedge.

Boba Fett is such a mystery. As a kid I loved him, because he's bad-ass bounty hunter with a cool action figure, and felt that his death was really unfair for such a "cool" character, but he does nothing in the entire series. And crowbarring Jango Fett into the prequels always just felt like George Lucas had been taken aback by how popular Boba Fett was, and the best way he could come up with to retrofit him into the prequels was, "oh, it can be his Dad" - rather than being creative enough to realise that no one knows what Boba Fett looks like under the armour, or what a "Mandalorian Guard" actually is, so he could have easily just shown up as himself, and been fleshed out enough to justify his reputation in the original trilogy. But nah, everyone is everyone's Dad.

• Like 1

Colly    14,301

I could've bought Yoda as a fighter (he is a Jedi Knight after all) but I'd have much preferred a slow more considered dueler than a spinny CGI Kermit. 

• Like 3

Skummy    36,526

I was always just got the impression that there are Jedi, and there are Jedi Knights, and the two aren't necessarily the same thing. Yoda's whole character seemed to be one who would rather think his way out of a situation, or who had focused his abilities in a different area of the Force, rather than on wielding a lightsaber with any proficiency. Watching Empire and Jedi, I never once got the impression that either Yoda or Palpatine would be characters likely to have an acrobatic, crazy lightsaber duel, or need to wield a lightsaber at all, because they had other ways of solving their problems.

There's also the issue with the timeline in general - the prequels are presented as if they must have happened decades and decades before the original trilogy, with the Jedi and the Force only being a legend in the present day, despite the events of the prequels actually only having happened 18-20 years earlier at most (Force Awakens, of course, has the same issue) - so we see Yoda, in the space of 18-20 years, go from flying around and somersaulting to having to make Luke Skywalker carry him in a papoose.

Benjamin    6,059
59 minutes ago, Have a Colly Jolly Xmas said:

Get out. 

Sorry! I'll leave you with your Luke Skywalker and his "Uncle Owen! I want to go be a pilot, okay?! Aw, shucks, let me go Uncle Owen! Let me go be with my friends! This droid's got a bad motivator!" :P 

livid    1,910
12 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I rewatched everything over the past three or so weeks, including Rogue One, and I got to say, Star Wars is pretty terrible :P I only really like the newer ones in Rogue One and the Force Awakens. Both the main protagonists are just so much more compelling and bad ass as characters than Luke ever was. Rey and Jyn are just amazing, they're so much more likeable and incredible to get behind. 

I actually agree, though to a lesser extent with The Force Awakens. It's not bad but I'm really only interested in The Last Jedi because Rian Johnson's directing.

Hobo    10,786

This is long but it's interesting. Especially if you like editing.

• Like 1

Bigal    552

No spoilers, but I went to see it last night. I enjoyed it more on reflection that I did at the time, I think - definitely want to go again.

In all honesty, I probably just overhyped myself, as it was a really good film. Couple of things don't really work, but I think it does a good job of being Star Wars while also doing enough differently to allow the franchise to go off in different ways in the future.