The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

• 1 month later...

Can't remember who it was, but someone on Twitter pointed out that if the far right (fuck 'alt', they know what they are) are going to start boycotting movies and tv produced by left wing folk they're going to miss an awful lot of stuff.

• Like 2

When I saw the headline - something like "#DumpStarWars protests want Star Wars to be a safe space" (?), my immediate thought was "oh, this is some extreme right wing garbage, isn't it?" I still haven't read any articles about it but my initial presumption is that it's meant to be some wanky protest because PEE CEE ES JAY DUBYA LIBRULS are involved in making the movie. Right?

They don't like it being pointed out that the characters most in line with their beliefs are the empire. 

They also don't like that the protagonists are females, or non-whites, while the villains are white people.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Colly said:

What does the alt even refer to? They're far right neo nazi pricks, the fact it's coming from an iPad changes fuck all.

You should try the alt-right subreddit. If you fancy losing a few brain cells, have a look.

In other news, Rogue One is getting rave reviews from the celebs / industry guys that got to see it early. Sounds promising.

Review embargo has lifted.  

Variety says: "for the original generation of “Star Wars” fans who weren’t sure what to make of episodes one, two, and three, “Rogue One” is the prequel they’ve always wanted."

• Like 1

Booked tickets for 10:30am Thursday morning (the benefits of being on leave). Given that I've just instructed Cineworld to cancel my Unlimited card (which will run out on the 19th), it seems a good one for it to go out on.

A friend saw it and said it was very good but not as good as Force Awakens. That it felt a little disjointed because they were trying to go for a darker tone but were forced to reshoot some stuff to make it 'lighter and more star warsy.'

That makes it sound like he didn't like it that much but he said he really did and that visually he thought it was great and there's supposed to be some quite amazing technical achievements.

He wouldn't say any more, because spoilers.

Review scores!

5 / 5 - Total Film
9 / 10 - IGN
4 / 5 - Empire
4 / 5 - The Guardian
2 / 5 - The Independent

Little White Lies also gave it 4 / 5 for enjoyment and 5 / 5 "in retrospect".

I agree that it's a bit disjointed for maybe the first third, but I thought the final third was really good. They really put a lot of effort in to tie it up to A New Hope and, even though it's not a 'Skywalker story' and is only a side episode to the main film series, it really does a good job with much of the bridging between the prequel and original trilogies.

• Like 3