The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Not sure how we're treating spoilers, so gonna use tags, but re: Skummy.

I feel like that Vader scene in the middle was a clear example of what comes out of the reshoots. Just a quick break between acts and hey why not make that break feature Darth Vader! From what I read the reshoots were all based around changing the earlier parts of the movie, making them a little lighter at points, since the climax was going to be so heavy. So disjointed shifts like that make perfect sense when looked at through that lens. But it took away from the gravity of Vader showing up on the ship at the end. The idea of him lurking in the shadows ready to strike as the Empire's super solider can't have the same effect since we saw him in a campy scene midway through.

• Like 2

Possibly the best Star Wars although I feel like maybe I need to rewatch 4, 5, 6 to really get an idea of where it comes. Its better than Force Awakens because its an original story rather than (an admittedly very good) retelling of the original trilogy - or parts of it at least - and tied in nicely with A New Hope. K2 is possibly my favourite part of the entire thing.

• Like 1

Vader's castle date backs to concept art from A New Hope, they just didnt have the tech or budget to make it on screen.

I'd say given what he does in the castle, it's a perfectly suitable place for him to reside.  He's at his most vulnerable, a planet of lava as good a place as any for that.  Plus it was Mustafar, where he first became the Vader we know.  Dark side is fueled by hate, so it makes sense from that perspective as well.

• Like 3

Was going to take my niece (8) and nephew (13) to see this one, but guess I'll just be taking my nephew after having that ending spoiled for me. Woof. 

I hated it :( 

Spoiler

I have a feeling my opinion may change in a few years but that movie was GRIM AS FUCK! They introduce all these cool characters and kill every fucking one of them. Why? It reminded me of Game of Thrones. You think this character is cool? DEAD NOW! And repeat ad nauseum until I just can't take it anymore. They kept saying HOPE over and over again. Bullshit! More than half of that movie was just a giant fuck you. I love Star Wars and I was looking for something to raise my spirits and afterward I just wanted to go to my car and cry.

I'm sorry, Srar, I should've warned you :(

Spoiler

One thing I really didn't like is that nearly every character death on the good guys' side was like "I have fulfilled my usefulness to the plot, boom, dead." Bodhi was especially egregious in that regard.

54 minutes ago, Srar Humbug said:

I hated it :( 

Hide contents

I have a feeling my opinion may change in a few years but that movie was GRIM AS FUCK! They introduce all these cool characters and kill every fucking one of them. Why? It reminded me of Game of Thrones. You think this character is cool? DEAD NOW! And repeat ad nauseum until I just can't take it anymore. They kept saying HOPE over and over again. Bullshit! More than half of that movie was just a giant fuck you. I love Star Wars and I was looking for something to raise my spirits and afterward I just wanted to go to my car and cry.

Spoiler

It wouldve been pretty dumb of them for people to survive. They mentioned in Episode IV that getting the death star plans was a very deadly risk or something along those lines. This film did a very good job to tie in with Episode IV..which is strangely titled...A New Hope...which may explain why they say hope in this movie quite a lot. :shifty:

3 minutes ago, Alex. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Jyn and Dude could have survived. They could have gotten across how risky or whatever it was without killing every character in the fucking movie.

1 hour ago, Srar Humbug said:
  Hide contents

Jyn and Dude could have survived. They could have gotten across how risky or whatever it was without killing every character in the fucking movie.

Spoiler

Nah I respectfully disagree. Killing off every character involved in that mission really does show how much of a sacrifice the rebel alliance made just for a little hope against the Empire at its zenith in power. :P

Spoiler

I went in expecting everyone to die (while staying away from spoilers). Glad I wasn't disappointed. Did it suck? Of course, it's not like the beginning of Episode IV was filled with the rebellion knowing they could win, because they were still on a wing and a prayer.

I like how they did it though. They went on a suicide mission, they were massively outnumber, even when the rebel cavalry arrived (did y'all see how many tie fighters came out midway through the battle). Seeing as this is a direct prequel to IV, I personally like how the ending of Rogue One doesn't lessen the impact of the ending to IV.

I also liked the implementation of the Death Star. The Empire was careful and calculating with how they used its power. Blowing up isolated areas instead of whole planets showed that even they didn't know what to make of this weapon they had. It also showed how the plans getting out led to them going "fuck it, blow up everything until the rebels are dead."

K2 dying sucked though, I do wish we would have got him over C-3PO.

Re: what Srar said, I feel like we should have done the plot of Rogue Two instead where they steal the second death star plans, cause no one can be sad about dead bothans. They are like a bird fucked a dog, interspecies abominations that they are.

• Like 1

Saw it yesterday and liked it. It totally scratches the surface for what could and should be explored in the Star Wars Universe - really great casting, such a good score and some really nice obvious war and western genre influences. But as with so many recent blockbusters, I found myself asking how much do I care for these people - yeah, a bit - but enough to elevate it to what it wants to be. So, to me, it kind of represents potential of what a stand alone Star Wars can be: it gets a lot right, it moves at a blistering pace, but it's missing a few ingredients for me to really crank up any emotional investment. 

I saw it yesterday too and, really, it was OK. It's a nice side story but I do feel there was a bit of a feeling of having to hit those fan service notes in certain places and at times, they hit it too hard.

I didn't think Jyn or Cass were that interesting. I found myself far more interested in pretty much everyone else around them. The first two acts seem to be Jyn finds her father figure and then he dies.

It could've done with a less is more approach towards characters from the main story. Much less Tarkin and about a shade less Darth Vader  I enjoyed both their reveals but the more they appeared the more... off.. they felt. Tarkin was best in anything but close up shots and Vader's best moment is at the end the rest is kinda meh. I didn't like the Leia cameo either. Her line could've been cut and nothing would be lost. Same with the C3PO and R2D2 cameo. I might have preferred their appearance if it had been a silent cameo.  The Red Squadrion cameos were probably the best because you don't really notice them.

I really liked the idea of  Saw Guerra being sort of a scrapheap challenge version of Darth Vader for the Rebel Alliance.

• Like 1