The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

They're going to make Star Wars movies the way they make Marvel movies.  There's a blueprint for how its done and they stick to it, and churn them out.  I'd say that system is kind of essential to pulling off the movie a year plan, and thus far it's been working. 

Apparently the biggest disagreement was regarding bringing someone else in to help during reshoots and they balked. Still, though, why not just let them finish out the stuff they had left after shooting for 5 months? Strange.

From what I'm reading it was Kennedy and Kasdan that had problems with what Lord and Miller were doing.   They were going off script, having the cast ad-lib and improvise and that's not what Kennedy wanted, understandably so.  The only person who has done more to craft the Han Solo character than Lawrence Kasdan is George Lucas.  He could have done anything he wanted within the Star Wars universe and he chose to write this script.  I would much rather watch a film about Han Solo that sticks close to a Lawrence Kasdan script than a movie about Han Solo that was heavily ad-libed and pieced together by two comedy directors.

• Like 2

I guess maybe they assumed Lord & Miller would fall in line more than they did but how did they not expect that two comedy directors would ad-lib for comedy sake? Why hire them if that's not what you wanted them to bring to the table? 

• Like 1

Yeah, it was probably a bad fit from the beginning.  But again, which movie would you have actually preferred?  Because I guarantee you people would have hated the film if it skewed heavily towards comedy.  If it comes down to it, I'd rather watch the Solo movie scripted by the guy heavily involved in crafting Han Solo, and I suspect most people ultimately would feel the same.

I don't know - I mean, a light-hearted film about Han Solo seems to be exactly what people would want to see after the last time we saw the character. And they hired a guy who was hilarious in Hail Ceaser, Donald Glover to play Lando and the set picture I saw wasn't grim dark and serious like the stuff coming out in the main line movies. Adlibbing a line (we don't know how many times) sees ultimately harmless.

Han Solo is my favorite Star Wars character and I don't think I want a super serious tone.

• Like 2

I mean, there's no indication that the script was grimdark, it just struck a more serious tone than what Lord and Miller were doing.  You also can't expect every actor to be able to improvise well, so if that's what they were doing, then they weren't getting the best performances they could get.  They got Lawrence Kasdan to write a script about one of the most beloved characters in the Star Wars universe, its entirely understandable and should have been entirely expected that they would want to stick to that script.

Again, why do you are you jumping to the conclusion that it's going to be some super serious grimdark thing?  There wasn't any indication of that.  Seems like they didn't want Lord and Miller going off script as much as they were, and didn't want it skewing towards a comedy as much as it was.  These seem like really valid concerns, given the situation.

This feels a lot like the Edgar Wright Ant-man thing, although at least with that they didn't wait until 3 weeks before the end of filming. I know nothing about film production but that sounds like an expensive decision.

14 minutes ago, Apsham said:

And once again, why go after "some comedy directors" who have made that basically what they do if they expected anything else? I don't see why 'ad-libbing some lines' moving to them fucking with the script is any smaller of a jump either.

Well lets see, your jump is based on nothing besides the notion that anything that isn't Lord and Miller is suddenly some grimdark sad sack movie, and my jump isn't a jump at all, its you either misunderstanding me or refusing to believe that reports were they were *HEAVILY* ad-libbing and improvising.  Not just a few unscripted moments here and there, they were having entire "improv days" 

And I've agree completely, they were probably the wrong choice from the get-go, but Disney must not have foreseen how much they would be going off script.  Poor research on their part, I'd say.  But again, odds are people would have not been happy with a Lord and Miller Han Solo movie if it turned out the way it's alleged to have been going.  Poor performances, way too much comedy, weak action scenes.  Pretty sure we have a few Star Wars movies that show that formula isn't a winning one.

If it was someone besides Kasdan writing the script, I'd probably fall more in the middle of the debate.  But I'll side with the guy who helped craft the character and his script over the guys who made the Jump Street movies.  (movies that I enjoy, but do not show me that they have a better idea of the tone of Star Wars or the character of Han Solo than Lawrence Kasdan)

I don't know that people wouldn't have been happy with the result they would have gotten since a lot of people seemed psyched when they were announced as the directors. Personally, a bit of a departure from the formula is a welcome thing as in order for them not to get stale and actually create a universe off of the property, they have to vary a bit.

I don't even see where the debate is. Good for Kasdan - he's producing and writing the movie so do whatever they need to. I mentioned serious and grim dark specifically stating that the movie doesn't look like that - cast pictures haven't been foreboding, sad scenes that like the Last Jedi was, ergo I think that it leans more towards a non-serious movie. So my jump being based on that... isn't anything that I've entered into this.

Also, I missed the 'heavily ad-libbed' part, even when looking for when it was originally brought up -that's on me. But now that I look into it I haven't read a single article where it has come up - much less the 'heavily' aspect of it. Although it has reminded me that "I love you - I know" was an ad-lib.

Doesn't look like it's a really huge deal anyways with Kennedy complimenting them and stating that there were creative differences. Lord and Miller were brought on and figured that they could do their thing since they had earned it, and they haven't been allowed to. That's about it and that's something that we agree on so I don't see what the big deal is.

Quite bummed they won't be doing it. Haven't seen a Lord and Miller movie I didn't like, and from what I get from Han, he's the type of character who'd be perfect in that Disney level of goofy, comedy hero that's also a bad ass that Lord and Miller would be able to execute perfectly for me.

• Like 3