The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

I'm torn. A Ron Howard directed Star Wars movie would be interesting, but at the same time I kind of hoped they'd go with Quentin Tarantino.

But if they went that direction, Mace Windu would have to turn up alive, and call someone a motherfucker before cutting them in half with a lightsaber.

M. Night Shymalan? Chewie turns out to be Darth Vader's brother. Or Han's uncle.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, GoGo YuPoppy said:

Now the story of an expensive blockbuster that lost everything, and the one veteran studio director who had to keep it all together.

Please tell me that someone has mashed up his Arrested Development with pictures of the Skywalker family 

According to StarWarsnewsnet, "Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller's screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about –- even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey's performance in 'Ace Ventura' at times. Ehrenreich let his concerns be known to one of the producers, who then told Kennedy about it, which led to her decision to look over the existing footage."

Apparently, old guard "Star Wars" figures Kennedy and Kasdan "really, really like Ehrenreich's take on Han," but objected to some of the scenes as being too "zany."

Yeah, so again, happy they got canned.

• Like 1

Yeah they loved his take so much they hired him an acting coach.

I mean, maybe it was in response to Lord & Miller's direction but it would be odd to hire an acting coach if they thought Lord & Miller were the sole problems on-set.

I do find it amusing that Kennedy sent Kasdan to the set and he didn't like what he was seeing. Of course the screenwriter isn't going to be happy that the directors are improving lines as opposed to saying what he wrote. That's a no-brainer. 

The situation gets weirder and weirder.

I'm not sure why some people are wanting/expecting a light-hearted comedy for the Solo film. When we meet him in A New Hope he is a selfish sarcastic arsehole that happens to have funny/cool one-liners every now and then. If anything, I imagine the film being him just being a more reckless version of that, maybe with a few extra quips here and there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw Rogue One. It was fine. It felt like the most unnecessary Star Wars movie and was the weakest non-prequel movie. It was not bad, I just wondered why the movie was made. Outside the obvious "lol money" reasons.

On 23/06/2017 at 02:04, Rooney! said:

I love Ron Howard's movies. I know this isn't quite that but it's a good sign. I really want/wanted this movie to be good.

The Terminizer was shit.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Collin Trevorrow has been dropped as the director of Episode 9, probably a good move.  Hopefully they'll give it to Rian Johnson.

Seriously? Brilliant news, I was very worried about him directing it after Jurassic World, which I just thought was awful. 

4 minutes ago, Dwight K. Schrute said:

Seriously? Brilliant news, I was very worried about him directing it after Jurassic World, which I just thought was awful. 

And apparently his follow up Book of Henry was worse on every level.

I got excited there that it was Episode 11. Have they got as far as plans for after this trilogy? Presumably the stand alones will continue as long as they make money, but is the main story expected to continue? Seems almost a shame to diminish the importance of the first three. 

• 4 weeks later...