The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Kylo Ren is the best thing about the new films for me - a villain with actual depth and an arc. It helps that Adam Driver plays him so brilliantly. Also, any film that allows Laura Dern to shine is just a-okay with me. 

For me, it just didn't have that sense of magic, I'm not as invested as I'd like to be. It was still really fun, and occasionally had something amazing in, but I think it's just a subjective thing where the film won't make a lasting impact on me. I'd definitely like to see it again though, Rian Johnson did a great job. 

• Like 1

Something a person I follow on Twitter brought up:

So basically it feels like they can track Finn early on, it's hinted that they have them on a string and the immediate connection is "oh the ex-stormtrooper on board". But nothing else is done with that. Almost like it was rewritten to give Rose a more prominent role and also showcase to the viewer some worldbuilding. But as a result Finn is in much of the movie, just there. It didn't give the battle with Phasma as much of a climax as it could have. It's one of the disappointing narrative choices, but considering if they want with option 1 there's basically no room for Rose being awesome I'm kinda okay with it. Call it a wash.

6 minutes ago, damshow said:

Something a person I follow on Twitter brought up:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I'm confused. Who could track Finn early on? The First Order or the Resistance? This is while Finn is on board the Resistance main ship?

8 hours ago, Benjamin said:
  Hide contents

I'm confused. Who could track Finn early on? The First Order or the Resistance? This is while Finn is on board the Resistance main ship?

The First Order. Specifically Phasma, who can track all her orphans-turned-soldiers. It felt like very early on they were going that route and then pivoted to having Finn join up with Rose.

Also in Rogue One there is a line of dialogue that mentions the Empire was researching, or had researched, hyperspace tracking.

4 minutes ago, damshow said:

Hide contents

The First Order. Specifically Phasma, who can track all her orphans-turned-soldiers. It felt like very early on they were going that route and then pivoted to having Finn join up with Rose.

Also in Rogue One there is a line of dialogue that mentions the Empire was researching, or had researched, hyperspace tracking.

Spoiler

Wait, what? I saw Force Awakens recently and in neither that nor the Last Jedi do I remember any scene where Phasma was tracking Finn.

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:
  Hide contents

Wait, what? I saw Force Awakens recently and in neither that nor the Last Jedi do I remember any scene where Phasma was tracking Finn.

She doesn't track Finn nor is it stated she can. I'm saying that it's hinted at in some early dialogue, "we have them on a string" and you immediately go to that idea. That Phasma can track Finn, and all her stormtroopers. Then it turns out that's not the case and he instead just goes off with Rose, only to eventually get betrayed by the codebreaker. The explanation they have for hyperspace tracking is rooted in Rogue One, with one line of dialogue. Which is clever.

Guys this film was great. Adam Driver is great, John Boyega is great, Oscar Isaac is great, Mark Hamill is great, Daisy Ridley is ok.

I really liked it, I wasn't the biggest fan of 7 or Rogue One but this was great, it had heart and charm and twists and turns and was great.

great stuff, why isn't Rian Johnson doing the next movie? Why is JJ Abrams? If you can't get Johnson is Taika Waititi not available?

32 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Because Rian Johnson is set to start working on his own Star Wars trilogy that he will write and direct, entirely unconnected from the main Star Wars storyline.

Yeah, and I so can't wait for it! 

Speaking of Rian Johnson, this is what he had to say about a certain character in the Last Jedi:

Spoiler

He said that Captain Phasma is like Kenny from South Park, in that you can kill her but she'll just be alive again without any further explanation :lol: I find that amazing and hope she's in Episode 9 as well as a focal point of the next trilogy, just dying and reappearing again.

I really liked the movie. I think it was really well built and moved everything forward in a way that wasn't seen since Empire (which isn't saying much).

Spoiler

I just hate that they killed off Luke so soon.

Really, unlike most people I don't have a problem whatsoever with his character development. I find it great that he messed up with Ben Solo, in a moment of weakness, and the guilt turned him into the character we saw in the movie. I just think he deserved much more than barely showing up in the first movie and being killed off in the second. But the scene of his passing is just brilliant. 

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Speaking of Rian Johnson, this is what he had to say about a certain character in the Last Jedi:

Hide contents

He said that Captain Phasma is like Kenny from South Park, in that you can kill her but she'll just be alive again without any further explanation :lol: I find that amazing and hope she's in Episode 9 as well as a focal point of the next trilogy, just dying and reappearing again.

This makes me happy. 

6 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Hide contents

This idea is great and I hope it's true.

7 hours ago, GoN_ said:

I really liked the movie. I think it was really well built and moved everything forward in a way that wasn't seen since Empire (which isn't saying much).

Hide contents

I just hate that they killed off Luke so soon.

Really, unlike most people I don't have a problem whatsoever with his character development. I find it great that he messed up with Ben Solo, in a moment of weakness, and the guilt turned him into the character we saw in the movie. I just think he deserved much more than barely showing up in the first movie and being killed off in the second. But the scene of his passing is just brilliant. 

Spoiler

To me so far Rey being mentored by the different original Star Wars trio in each movie would be pretty cool. She learned to go beyond Jakku in the Force Awakens and what is out there with Han, and she learned what the Force is with Luke. What's interesting now is how they handle Leia, she won't be in Ep. 9 and I am super sad about that. A relationship arc between Leia and Rey would be awesome, Leia has been built tremendously in Ep. 7 & 8.

I figure there's no way in hell the Solo movie doesn't get delayed.  Avengers Infinity War is due out of May 4th (Way to drop the ball on scheduling Star Wars movies) and Solo is due out May 25th.  Then you've got Incredibles 2 coming out June 15th.  Even for Disney that's too much saturation at one time.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 13:58, zero said:

Saw it twice... loved it both times. 

I've never seen a movie of this magnitude so unafraid of dividing its audience. It all worked perfectly for me though and fits in with the original trilogy and the new films. More thoughts!

Reveal hidden contents

Just saw Last Jedi, and I pretty much just wanna co-sign this.

I don’t get how someone wouldn’t love this movie, unless they’re some sort of MRA type. In which case, good, I’m glad they hate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

I figure there's no way in hell the Solo movie doesn't get delayed.  Avengers Infinity War is due out of May 4th (Way to drop the ball on scheduling Star Wars movies) and Solo is due out May 25th.  Then you've got Incredibles 2 coming out June 15th.  Even for Disney that's too much saturation at one time.

I like the idea of December being Star Wars month. Just knowing that for every Christmas there's a new Star Wars to look forward to. I suspect that's what winds up happening with Solo, the posters I did see showed the May date but they still have a little while to move it out of summer.

Or, conversely, maybe they want to test the waters and see how much Disney properties people can handle in one summer.