Sign in to follow this  
Katsuya

The Star Wars Thread

I'm glad that movie was for some folks because it was extremely not for me. To me, it felt extremely safe and mostly weightless, and I think probably the one where you can see Disney's fingerprints the clearest. I'm going to be awake with my thoughts for a while so I might as well write them out.

Spoiler

The nice thing I'll say about the Palpatine stuff is that most of the stuff I found really cool, visually speaking, were in scenes with him. I'll also say that Rey shouldn't have been the descendant of absolutely anyone important, but I guess I preferred this to her being a Skywalker by blood somehow. That's where the nice things end. I cannot believe that once JJ Abrams was given the helm again, after a movie where his big idea was "they built a thing that's basically a Death Star," he comes back with "what if there were a bunch of Star Destroyers that can blow planets up? Like the Death Star????"

There weren't really a lot of character moments that landed with me, which is wild because that was pretty much the thing I liked about The Force Awakens. Pretty much every secondary character (read: not Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, or Palpatine) felt interchangeable outside of Hux and C3PO. Lando came back and didn't really have any moments that felt like Lando but hey, maybe those will come in the Disney+ series they seemed to shoehorn a setup in for. None of the new characters were of any interest, beyond Keri Russell's character giving Oscar Isaac a couple moments to be charming as he is wont to do (and having her and the droid hacker show up after their planet was blown up was an unbelievable cop out, basically reducing any effectiveness that scene might have had to nothing).

In a lot of ways it felt like Disney had the right idea at the start; you hire JJ Abrams to start something and then by no circumstances do you let him continue it. They shouldn't have backpedaled but it is what it is now. At least I really enjoyed the bit where Finn and Poe played holochess with Chewie? Good old holochess scenes never let me down.

Spoiler

To also quickly add while it was/is in my head. I felt a couple times throughout this movie that it was a number 2 in a trilogy not the final film. It felt like 2 seperate plots trying to be told at the same time with the same characters that deserved more time.

If I could change a thing (and hey lets pretend its not a trilogy but became 4 movies) have the search for the McGubbins be the entirety of this movie, have the climax be on the ruins of the death star and the 'final' scene being Kylo destroying the McGubbins as he did in the film. Your 'final film' can be stopping the Final Order and you can dedicated more time to space battles, ground war and emotional revelations, over trying to get little spurts of them in 2 hours.

Just my opinion and I REALLY ENJOYED the film so i'm not looking to actually change it

I don't think I'll really remember much of it tbh. I forgot most of TFA as well in terms of stuff not really landing but eh. As a finale, wrap up sort of thing I think it was weak, I agree it would be better if it was a middle film.

ok so the Rey origins reveal. I don't have a problem with it overall. I liked the idea shes a nobody and it all didn't need to be tied in together, but if she absolutely had to be someones family, being a Palpatine is more interesting than being a Skywalker. Except for when she decides at the end to go "lol im actually rey skywalker yolo" anyway.

And was there any reason for Palpatine to be back anyway that I missed? I don't think there was anything to do with him in the Last Jedi at all, was there? The opening scrawl said something about his voice being heard again but it's never explained how or why hes back, was it?

I felt almost every drama beat was wasted. Chewie has been blown up because of Rey's palpatineness! Oh wait theres another transport. Ah but wait, C3P0 will have to sacrifice his memory for the greater good! Oh wait theres some backups so hes just the same. Surely Po's hacker friends are dea-no wait they're in the final battle too. Rey is chucking the lightsabre away oh no heres Ghost Luke to bring it back and also for good measure heres Leia's sabre too.

Finn is clearly in love with Rey and has a burning desire to tell her how he feels but no, let's just forget about that plot point and stick him with the black stormtrooper girl. Stick with your own kind? Bleurgh.

Where did Rey get the gold lightsabre at the end?

There was some good things, I didn't hate it all promise. I liked the voices of everyone basically telling Rey to get up at the end, even noticed Sam Jacksons voice which was a cool touch. I liked the scene with Han especially with it mirroring their scene in TFA. I liked Landos scenes but the cameos did start to feel heavy handed after a while.

It's definitely not a bad film, just not sure how much was really needed and theres tonnes I didn't understand.

• Like 1

Also was the first time I've ever experienced a theatre applauding at the end credits. That was a bizarre feeling.

• Like 1

@Kaney Klaus regarding the Palpatine setup...

Spoiler

apparently that message that was said to have been broadcast in... Fortnite. Sure!

There definitely was no setup for it in The Last Jedi but most of the ways RoS and TLJ intersect with each other are kind of perfunctory anyway, probably best epitomized by that scene where Finn's like "hey Rose, wanna be in the main plot of this movie" and Rose declines so she can hang out with Greg Grunberg and Charlie from Lost. (There were more than enough characters in that main plot, to be fair, I doubt Rose would have added much to it.) Abrams has been pretty forthright in branding this movie as a course-correction from that one.

couple more thoughts:

- In a way I loved that the Knights of Ren turned out to be absolutely nothing, because that feels like it's living up to Star Wars' time-honored legacy of introducing characters that look cool and mysterious and not actually doing anything with them, leaving any and all opportunities for them to be compelling characters to the folks writing the novels. With Captain Phasma gone someone had to take up that mantle.

- The Finn stuff felt extremely like Abrams/Disney are just going "hey, ship Finn with whoever you want to ship him with. Rey? Sure! Rose? Okay! Poe? Go for it! Here's this new character, Jannah, you wanna ship Finn with her? Why not, that might be a worthwhile investment after her Disney+ show or whatever!" They only ended up doing one pairing and then Ben conveniently died to leave options wide open.

• Like 3

That's....really tragic.

So I didn't hate it. It is probably going to firmly sit at the bottom of non-prequel SW movies though.

Spoiler

The first hour of the movie felt like they were just rewriting everything in TLJ at a breakneck pace. If this was the direction you wanted to go you make it happen in the 2nd movie. Abrams basically treating TLJ like a movie he had to correct teetered this one on the edge.

Once we got all the BS out of the way and Rey gets to the moon of Endor where the Death Star landed it got going. Only gripe is the kiss between her and Ben at the end but whatever, he died. It is more visually dramatic than a hug or a big "Thank you for saving me from the Dark Side, Rey" monologue (though Adam Driver would absolutely kill this speech).

The best stuff came when the 4 main characters were on the screen. Ridley, Boyega, Isaac, and Driver are all so f'n good at this acting thing. With lesser actors this movie would have really trudged along.

I did enjoy Lando being back even though he did nothing. I feel it's a better use of his character for him to be not around for big parts of the Resistance and then magically show up for the final battle. It's a very Lando thing.

The plot point about Rey being Palpatine's grandkid is kinda dumb because it again treats the Force as some genetic thing, but it also made for some really compelling final scenes in the climax so there's that.

SW will keep doing some good stuff with TV shows on D+ and hopefully the Rian Johnson trilogy depending how much of his own thing he's allowed to do.

After thinking about it for a few days and reading what other people had to say about the movie I have come down on the side of liking TROS. There are some things in it that didn't work for me but as a whole I had a good time watching it. 

• Like 1

I didn't like it. I don't want to get into a big spoilery thing but I wanted to think about it for a bit and yeah I kinda hate it. They basically retconned everything from my favorite of the new trilogy and then played completely safe. It kinda sucked

• Like 2

That shot kinda makes Driver look like he's gonna grow up to be Nien Numb.

• Like 1

I just saw it, I really enjoyed it. If I was nitpicking the plot then sure, there's certain things I didn't like and would have done differently myself, but overall I had a great time and I feel they made it an entertaining, interesting and fitting end to a nine-film series that means a lot to me and many others.

Without getting into spoilers in it, I'm someone who's on the side of feeling that Last Jedi was a bit too much of a departure, seemingly for the sake of being different. I didn't really like what Rian Johnson did with it (although I did enjoy the film and loved certain aspects of it - especially Kylo Ren's plot) so JJ Abrams coming back for Rise of Skywalker and bringing it back to more of what Force Awakens was trying to do was preferable for me.

On 20/12/2019 at 21:30, Kaney Klaus said:

Also was the first time I've ever experienced a theatre applauding at the end credits. That was a bizarre feeling.

Only time I've ever experienced that was at the end of Rogue One, incidentally. Also found it strange to be part of.

image.png

I finally watched Solo. Good movie. Both Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover nailed as Han Solo and Lando Calrissian. So far I have enjoyed the side stories more than the main movies. A shame that they won't be making any more of these. 

• Like 1

I liked Rise of Skywalker, but I'm not a super Star Wars fan so I can't really nitpick at the plot. It makes sense to me, but I'm not really thinking about it too hard either. I'm sad because we have to say goodbye to characters like Finn and Rey, who I definitely want to see more of.

But, more importantly: Give me a Disney+ series about the adventures of Zorii & Babu Frik in a post-ROS world.

• Like 1

Rise of Skywalker was simultaneously enjoyable whilst being the biggest load of wank. I don't think I'd want to watch it again, nor do I believe it'd hold up at all on a second viewing.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

On 28/12/2019 at 12:53, Hellraiser said:

I finally watched Solo. Good movie. Both Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover nailed as Han Solo and Lando Calrissian. So far I have enjoyed the side stories more than the main movies. A shame that they won't be making any more of these. 

I waited for a long time to watch this, then put it on the other day... and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun.

15 hours ago, Toe said:

I waited for a long time to watch this, then put it on the other day... and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun.

I definitely think it's a somewhat underrated movie. Absolutely inessential viewing, IMO, but Alden Ehrenreich does a good job of playing a Han Solo that hasn't become jaded and cynical yet and frankly, one of the minor moments I wish Rise of Skywalker had had was a nod to the actual relationship between Lando and the Millennium Falcon.

also, the big reveal at the end was pretty surprising and I'm sad that probably won't get followed up on.

6 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

also, the big reveal at the end was pretty surprising and I'm sad that probably won't get followed up on.

Spoiler

There will probably no follow-up to what happened in the movie. But Maul shows up in both Clone Wars and Rebels. So if you want to learn how he survived Naboo and what his ultimate fate is I suggest you watch the episodes he is in. 

• Thanks 1