Your 2012 Album of the Year?

Maxx

It's about that time of year, so I figured I might as well make this thread. What's your personal choice for 2012 Album of the Year?

I'll start with mine and I know what you're thinking. "Gosh Maxx, THREE Green Day albums in one year? How are you ever going pick one? Also, you're handsome."

Well to that, I say thank you, and yes, it was not an easy decision, especially when you consider The Gaslight Anthem also put out an excellent new disc this year, and Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio did a thing too. But after really thinking it over, the choice was pretty obvious.

1327215003_the-menzingers-on-the-impossible-past-2012.jpg

The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past

1. Good Things

2. Burn After Writing

3. The Obituaries

4. Gates

5. Ava House

6. Sun Hotel

7. Sculptors and Vandals

8. Mexican Guitars

9. On The Impossible Past

10. Nice Things

11. Casey

12. I Can't Seem To Tell

13. Freedom Bridge

Favorite Tracks

A shocking upset! I absolutely adore this album though, for me it's the best thing The Menzingers have done by a wide margin and makes me really excited to hear what they have in store next. It's does a wonderful job of capturing what it feels like to be 24-30 in this day and age. Uncertain about the future, disillusioned with the present and reflecting upon a bittersweet past. They managed to touch on all of that in the album without it ever coming across as heavy handed or forced. It's so well paced and the songs lean on each other so well that it's almost a concept album, and it's the only album this year that I've found myself consistently listening to from beginning to end. Bravo Menzingers.

My Top 5

1. The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past (See above)

2. Green Day - Uno! (A return to the pre-Warning Sound!)

3. The Gaslight Anthem- Handwritten (Excellent album, but it hasn't grown on me as well as 59 Sound and American Slang did)

4. Green Day- Tre! (Featuring two of my favorite songs from the trilogy, X-Kids and 99 Revolutions)

5. Green Day- Dos! (Yay, another Green Day album! Weakest of the trilogy, but Stray Heart is a awesome song)

How about you guys?

1. Swans - The Seer

2. Haleek Maul - Oxyconteen (Well, technically an EP. Otherwise I'd go with his album with Supreme Cuts.)

3. Death Grips - The Money Store

4.Nas - Life is Good

5. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Pretty sure I forgot alot I really like, but those were the first five that came to mind.

"Lonerism" by Tame Impala

My Top 5:

1. Lonerism - Tame Impala
  2. Bloom - Beach House
  3. Koi No Yokan -Deftones
  4. The Idler Wheel - Fiona Apple
  5. Sun - Cat Power
Edited by A Member Of The Dominion

I have a horrible memory for which albums came out what year. I'm gonna go ahead and say Death Grips' The Money Store now because fr34k said it and it's a good choice. Really, I'll probably wait until everybody else mentions stuff that I listened to.

In case you change your mind again, that did come out in April, so that would qualify.

Posted my Top 10 in the "What Music..." thread a while back, and since this isn't a list, here ya go:

10. Shinedown - Amaryllis

9. Band of Skulls - Sweet Sour

8. Van Halen - Different Kind of Truth

7. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

6. Devin Townsend - Epicloud

5. Jesca Hoop - The House Jack Built

4. The Avett Brothers - The Carpenter

3. Soundgarden - King Animal

2. Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now?

1. Pinback - Information Retrieved

Lots of good stuff this year from some of my favorite acts. There's No Leaving Now by The Tallest Man on Earth probably gets the nod from me, with Dinosaur Jr.'s I Bet on Sky as a solid #2. But I admit that I have the worst taste in music ever. :shifty:

Lots of good stuff this year from some of my favorite acts. There's No Leaving Now by The Tallest Man on Earth probably gets the nod from me, with Dinosaur Jr.'s I Bet on Sky as a solid #2. But I admit that I have the worst taste in music ever. :shifty:

Pretty sure that honor goes to JohnnyPerfect :shifty:.

The Vaccines album was pretty good, as was Soundgarden's... Uno was ok, Dos bored me before I finished it, not listened to Tre, Gaslight's album was decent, Stone Sour's was better than I was expecting it to be, I liked Slash and Myles Kennedy's album, was that this year? I think it was. Rize of the Fenix was awful.

Can't even think of any other 2012 albums.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City is probably my front-runner. I haven't listened to a ton of the music to come out this year yet though, so can't make a real strong judgment.

Kendrick Lamar can be savely added to the list of American rappers of whom I do not understand the appeal at all.

• Like 1

Despite the fact Muse brought a new album out this year, my 2012 album of the year is either 'Epicloud' by Devin Townsend or 'Koi No Yokan' by Deftones. Both heavy yet beautiful albums.

And in case I'm not around in 2013, my favourite album of next year will probably be 'Opposites' by Biffy Clyro.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City is probably my front-runner. I haven't listened to a ton of the music to come out this year yet though, so can't make a real strong judgment.

Kendrick Lamar can be savely added to the list of American rappers of whom I do not understand the appeal at all.

Yeah, despite not understanding why you needed to tag it as "American rappers," I'm gonna cosign this.

Despite the fact Muse brought a new album out this year, my 2012 album of the year is either 'Epicloud' by Devin Townsend or 'Koi No Yokan' by Deftones. Both heavy yet beautiful albums.

And in case I'm not around in 2013, my favourite album of next year will probably be 'Opposites' by Biffy Clyro.

Based on what I've heard so far (about 6 or 7 of the 20 songs), I'm pretty sure I'll be the same unless the new Sabbath album is amazing.

Oh right, Epicloud is amazing. Totally forgot that.

Yeah, despite not understanding why you needed to tag it as "American rappers," I'm gonna cosign this.

Well, I'm from Germany and with German rap I usually at least somewhat understand why people like certain things and I often believe that the reason why I don't like a couple of American rappers is due to cultural differences or different expectations in rap style.

Edited by fr34k