Your 2012 Album of the Year?

Maxx

If you didn't guess already that my favorite album of this year was going to be Devin Townsend's Epicloud then... I guess we haven't talked together much, whatever. :shifty: Either way, yeah, Epicloud is definitely my number one so of the 73 other releases I have listened to this year (and I still have a few that I haven't properly listened to, like Swans' The Seer), my favorites are BADBADNOTGOOD's BBNG2, Crippled Black Phoenix's (Mankind) The Crafty Ape, High On Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis, Ólafur Arnalds & Nils Frahm's Stare, Panopticon's Kentucky, Pepé Deluxe's Queen of the Wave, Sigh's In Somnophobia, Slowolf's Seven, Spleen United's School Of Euphoria and Tales Of Murder And Dust's Hallucination of Beauty. These are all in unlisted form because I really cannot be arsed to do that, except declare that Epicloud is my favorite because hey, it is Devin Townsend.

And seeing as I probably won't be finishing up all the 2012 albums I want to listen to before the year ends, this list is not even partially complete. But it as complete as it gets for now.

• Like 1

The correct answer is Grizzly Bear - Shields.

You can also add efforts from Hop Along, Modern Baseball, How To Dress Well, The Mountain Goats, Cat Power, Das Racist, Death Grips, Aesop Rock, Frank Ocean, Maps & Atlases, Converge, Michael Kiwanuka, Future of the Left, Drake and Beans On Toast to the list. There's probably more but yeah, that's a pretty good start.

This year's been pretty wonderful.

You can also add efforts from Hop Along, Modern Baseball, How To Dress Well, The Mountain Goats, Cat Power, Das Racist, Death Grips, Aesop Rock, Frank Ocean, Maps & Atlases, Converge, Michael Kiwanuka, Future of the Left, Drake and Beans On Toast to the list. There's probably more but yeah, that's a pretty good start.

Definitely some good contenders there. Not sure if I've heard all of Beans though. I think only saw him once this year supporting Frank Turner at Wembley. Chatted with him when I saw him in Bath one time, he's a real nice guy.

I feel a lot of love for the latest "Honig" (honey) Album. He and his Band might be one of those acts that can get some records sold outside of germany in the next years. - The Album is called "Empthy Orchestra".

My Album of the Year would be Kraftklub "Mit K" i guess. Music wise they do nothing anyone would consider new (actually most songs are just a clever arrangement of old pop or indy rock classics) but the lyrics are great and the live shows kick ass. It´s also one of the rare german singing/raping bands i like to listen to.

Did Noah and the Whale's new album come out this year? If so that I guess. Nothing has really made me jump with joy this year. Lots of decent albums with a few stand out tracks but no album that grabbed me from start to finish.

Bat for Lashes too! That's a major contender of mine.

I've got to say my favourite album from this year would be 'Babel' from Mumford and Sons. I just loved every track on that album and it was really easy listening. 'Transcendental Youth' by the Mountain Goats runs a really close second and Regina Spektor's 'What We Saw From the Cheap Seats' is only just behind that. It's been a pretty solid year for music for me, even a few old bands I hadn't listened to in forever released some good stuff like Green Day and the All-American Rejects.

Damn, I forgot Death Grips and Michael Kiwanuka. I still haven't listened to No Love, Deep Web, though. :shifty:

01. The Sword - Apocryphon

02. Green Day - Tre!

03. The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

04. Green Day - Dos!

05. Metallica - Beyond Magnetic EP (Well, the cd release of it came in January.)

06. Fozzy - Sin and Bones

07. Baroness - Yellow & Green

08. Green Day - Uno!

09. Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

10. Shinedown - Amaryllis

11. Halestorm - The Strange Case Of...

12. Billy Talent - Dead Silence

That's every 2012 album that i've bought so threw them all into a list. The Sword's Apocryphon being my favourite thing to come out this year, though it was not as great as their previous Warp Riders and plenty of Green Day there.

Edited by The Sandman

Mountain Goats forever.

This.

Lots of albums from folk I like this year: Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas was pretty phenomenal. I've not been able to get through all of John Cale's new album but some of the songs are good. The new Magnetic Fields album was, okay. Bob Dylan's Tempest was probably the best Dylan has been in years. Loudon Wainwright's Older Than My Old Man Now would have been better without Dame Edna turning up same goes for Rufus Wainwright being on it. :shifty:

But honestly Transcendental Youth sticks out a mile.

• Like 1