Ni no Kuni

LUKIE

I hope the international success of this game gets to people in japan. A new era of golden jRPGs would be very nice. Might even be something the next console generation could benefit from greatly since these games unlike the western RPGs, rarely if ever made it to the PC due to the way the japanes marked works.

I want to play this game so bad... must withstand.... must.....

Haven't seen the game yet, but got about six or seven excited messages from the girlfriend last night telling me how amazing it was. When we met for lunch, she showed me the fancy book that the special edition comes with, and it's beautiful.

I can pretty much guarantee that I'm going to be spending tonight sat watching her play this.

Argh, its really annoying that the familiar 'codex' doesnt tell you which ones you have caught/bred. I imagine it will be even worse when Im trying to own every one and searching through hundreds of familiars.

Hoping to get a third level Familiar today :wub:

Edited by ZJ Penn

Okay, this game is fucking beautiful. The graphics are wonderful, and it's ridiculous that more games don't look like this.

Haven't seen enough of it to judge the plot really, but from what I can tell, it's pretty much exactly what I'd have expected a Studio Ghibli JRPG to be like. Not a big fan of most of the voice acting so far, but it's not unbearable.

My favourite thing is the raven-headed shopkeeper. The "Cawtermaster". He was the last thing I was expecting, and I laughed my fucking ass off at him when I first went into that shop, just fucking standing there. He's the best. And when he said "have a rook around", I was done. I had to take a breather.

It all seems fairly simplistic, but not in a bad way, and the fairly straightforward strategic stuff in some of the battles suggests there might be some hidden depths to explore later. So far, so impressed.

It all seems fairly simplistic, but not in a bad way, and the fairly straightforward strategic stuff in some of the battles suggests there might be some hidden depths to explore later. So far, so impressed.

See this is what's wrong with games nowadays. They try to be too damn impressive and instead end up being a cluttered mess. Ni No Kuni is just so well done.

Played more of it last night. So far it plays quite similarly to Blue Dragon, which is a good thing. I've just got to...

... the sewer system looking for His Meowjesty (Tom?), and whilst the gameplay is incredibly simple so far, it's also very engaging. I'm loving the familiars (I was worried when I got a second that I'd be forced to choose between him and Mitey). I could swear seen screenshots of three allies at once fighting, but the battle mechanics don't feel like they'd favour something like that. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

So far it's a fun, if simple, game that's certainly helped by the typical Ghibli whimsy.

You're about where I left off - Mitey is brilliant, but the lemur guy is fun too. Worth letting him level up for a few fights before you really start using him, though, as his defence is appalling. Might have just seemed that way because he was level one and Mitey was level 7 by the time we got there, though.

More importantly, THIS GUY;

V1CbODM.jpg

He's my favourite.

RE: Skummy

Yeah, I levelled up the lemur, and have spread out the two's food. Mitey gets all the attack and defence boosting food, whilst the lemur gets anything for accuracy and evasion. I'm favouring Mitey, but the lemur is useful once I got him up a few levels, especially if you need to get a HP or MP boost, because his smaller but more regular hits seem to force the orbs out of enemies more regularly than Mitey (plus his better evasion means that he's less likely to take a killing blow if you're low on health).

So I just got to Mr Drippy's home (minor spoilers)...

Really enjoying this. So far nothing in the game has felt like a chore with the one exception of Harold (I think that's his name), where I had to decipher the alphabet in the Wizard's Companion and didn't realise that (puzzle spoiler below)...

... the words to translate were on the Wizard's Robe...

... for about 15 minutes. I loved the trials at the temple, hope there's more like that in the game.

Struggled in my first fight with Shaddar since I accidentally walked into it with low health, not realising that he would appear where he did.

Story is intruiging me, but I feel like they need to do a reveal soon. Too many mysteries with little movement.

The multiple character fight mechanics are good once you get the "All Out Attack" and "All Out Defence" options, before that they felt awkward and clunky. So far my team is:

Oliver: Mitey the Mite - Sid the Sprite - Purrcy the Pirate Cat
Esther: Gogo the Duck Thing - Babs the The Babana Plant - A big water thing I just got that has insane attack power
Swaine: His big default thingy - Lemuhl the Lemur Thing - Skully the Skeleton

Keeping Mitey, Sid, Gogo and Lemuhl, as I've got attached to them, the rest might change over time.

Loving the music too.

I get pretty heart broken any time I get a key item and Mr. Drippy doesn't carry it above his head everywhere.

Also man I'm getting overlevelled. I haven't had a single problem with a boss. The closest thing to a challenge thus far has been The Genie. I love this game so much. I've got so much to say about it, but I don't think I'll bother until I'm finished.

But basically, my love of JRPGs means this will be my GOTY unless Lightning Returns turns out to be better.

It won't.

Right, what's the over/under on the time taken until Srar snaps the disc out of frustration?

I'll just go for the blanket '2 hours' guess. Those with actual experience with the game might have a better understanding of how much the intro might leave her tearing her hair out. :shifty: