2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

2012 is over and done with. Time to start anew.

On top of all the deadline day stuff that happened over the last couple days (Shea to Stoke, Dawkins to Villa, Najar to Anderlecht, Kamara to Norwich), apparently FC Dallas is about to acquire Eric Hassli from Toronto. The general reaction has pretty much been that it'll be an exciting season for people who want to see who will kill the other first between Hassli and Schellas Hyndman.

In exactly a month. It's a fun league to follow, I think; obviously the level of quality is much lower than top leagues but it's a league with a lot of parity and unpredictability (except for the annual certainty that Toronto FC and Chivas won't make the playoffs and New York won't win a single trophy).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2013/02/duka-traded.html

Duka swapped for Oduro. I actually like this move quite a bit for CLB as they can really use Oduro's speed without needing him to be a consistent goal scorer. They've already got two guys for that (Higuain/Arrieta) but he does provide cover if needed.

I dunno about Hassli in Dallas. I mean, BLAS PEREZ. However news is coming out that they've already released Pipico ... and Blas will be with Panama for the GC soooooo .... Honestly I like it, Hassli is good.

In exactly a month. It's a fun league to follow, I think; obviously the level of quality is much lower than top leagues but it's a league with a lot of parity and unpredictability (except for the annual certainty that Toronto FC and Chivas won't make the playoffs and New York won't win a single trophy).
It should be better than the Mexican League in terms of quality so that is not a problem. I'm just looking for something to follow in June-August and the MLS sounds fun

It should be better than the Mexican League in terms of quality so that is not a problem. I'm just looking for something to follow in June-August and the MLS sounds fun

I wouldn't go that far. Liga MX has a bigger spread between the quality of the top teams and the bottom teams, but the top teams are still pretty damn good. They can pay more and have a bit deeper rosters still. We haven't completely caught up but the gap is closing pretty quickly.

Saunders is on trial with RSL

Kevin Mercado and Alex Parbon of LDQuito are trialing with the Fire.

Apparently the rights to Robbie Rogers also went to Chicago in the Duka/Oduro trade ... and CHI is interested in trading them to LA for, something.

Interesting ... the Crew have Matías Sánchez in camp. He's of the 2007 FIFA U-20 World winning Argentine side that featured Sergio Agüero, Ángel di María, Ever Banega and Emiliano Insúa. He's been with Estudiantes (huge club in Argentina) and is only 25 ... very curious because he's been playing regularly with them. Seems that'd be a huge pick up for them.

Interesting ... the Crew have Matías Sánchez in camp. He's of the 2007 FIFA U-20 World winning Argentine side that featured Sergio Agüero, Ángel di María, Ever Banega and Emiliano Insúa. He's been with Estudiantes (huge club in Argentina) and is only 25 ... very curious because he's been playing regularly with them. Seems that'd be a huge pick up for them.

I actually saw some of those 2007 U20 matches in Ottawa. Czech 2-2 North Korea and Argentina 6-0 Panama. Granted, Panama only received one point in that round, but hot damn did Argentina look fantastic. While Aguero stole the show, I remember thinking at that time that Argentina's entire squad was terrific -- especially at midfield. Grabbing almost any part of that team would be a good pickup for an MLS side.

Absolutely.

I loved that tournament because the US did extremely well and played one of their best youth tournaments ever .... and the whole time I was hoping we didn't run into them unless the only way possible was in the final. They ran through that tournament. Sergio Romero was the GK, Zarate was in the mid, and Piatti was a sub.

Wasn't Messi technically allowed to play in that tournament? I'm sure the reason he didn't is because Barca didn't want to lose him to such a relatively minor tournament. But just imagine the possibilities.

Yes but he'd progressed already. He'd already made his full NT breakthrough by 2005 and was used as a U23 for the Olympics in '08.

Tell me more of this tournament, guys!

Elsewhere, Portland wins a fairly meaningless preseason friendly vs. Seattle. They played most of their starters (no Ricketts or Ryan Johnson) for 60 minutes, Seattle played a very small handful of regular starters due to illness + national team duty, so a metric shit-ton of trialists and fringe players. Traore was one of them; he had decent vision so I'd expect him to stick around for more preseason. Leo Lelis, a Fluminense youth player, also got some time in the second half at CB. He looked okay.