185 replies to this topic

#1 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Anyone else picking this up? Don't think I've looked forward to something involving Lara Croft so much since before I went and saw the first movie. Hoping I don't get the same sense of disappointment >_>

#2 EWB's Best Poster.

EWB's Best Poster.

Titled Member.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yeah I likely will.  I think it looks pretty in depth for character development, and that has my attention.

#3 Baddar

Baddar

How can he assist you?

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,014 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I've never even played a Tomb Raider, but I want to give this a go. It's cheap enough on release but I'll likely wait a while - I've got other games to finish first.

#4 ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Beard.

• Global Mods
  • 26,793 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Oh this is one of my four games this year that I MUST buy, so I will be getting it. I remember going to buy Tomb Raider 2 from Woolworths during lunch time at school on release day so we've got some history together (despite not getting any Tomb Raider game between 3 on PS1 and Underworld on PS3).

#5 Cactus Drags

Cactus Drags

BANG BANG!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I really wasn't massively interested, but we put the game on our store TV, and the rolling demo is excellent, despite the gratuitous camera shot down her top that was totally needless. One of our staff thought it odd that this is the origin story and takes place before the other games, but she's got some sort of mp3 player and Beats headphones. I figured it was a reboot rather than a prequel though, correct?

#6 ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Beard.

• Global Mods
  • 26,793 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Yeah. Reboot origin.

#7 Johnny Latino Heat

Johnny Latino Heat

Sanity is overrated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

I've got the Collector's Edition pre-ordered from Amazon, but since I also pre-ordered the Collector's Edition for the new God of War (I'm a sucker for statuettes >_>) I asked for the items to be delivered in as few deliveries possible, so I won't get it until the end of the month, probably (considering Amazon usually takes about a week to deliver here). I'm a Tomb Raider fan, and I liked the last trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld), though I never managed to end the very first game, the 1996 one, and I never actually played the sequels except for Angel of Darkness, which I hated (I bought the original and sequels some time ago from the Playstation store and have been meaning to get to them, but stuff always comes up), but I intend to eventually finish them.

Still, yeah, hyped for this.

#8 Dan

Dan

I'm the one who knocks.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,110 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

It's great, feels like it holds your hand a bit too much but it really is good.

#9 Maxx

Maxx

Trick or Treat

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,646 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Ughhh, I want it because of the glowing reviews its been getting.  Even though it's essentially just an Uncharted/Far Cry 3 hybrid, it looks like it's fantastic.  Tomb Raider was the first game I ever got when I got a PSOne for Christmas, but I never really got into the series past the first two games.  Still though, it's awesome to see the series get revived in such a good way. 

#10 TKzo Amore

TKzo Amore

AND YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ughhh, I want it because of the glowing reviews its been getting.  Even though it's essentially just an Uncharted/Far Cry 3 hybrid, it looks like it's fantastic.  Tomb Raider was the first game I ever got when I got a PSOne for Christmas, but I never really got into the series past the first two games.  Still though, it's awesome to see the series get revived in such a good way. 

Well to be fair, Uncharted is pretty much a Tomb Raider rip off. :P

I'm getting it, really looking forward to it and Square Enix didn't really let me down once last year when it comes to publishing games. Not to mention for some reason their games are usually a fair bit cheaper than the rest! I'm just hoping it's not as god awfully boring as Uncharted 3 was. I always preferred the exploration in these kind of games, rather than combat, so I'd like to see a lot more of that than running around, gunning down every one.

#11 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

If there's no in-joke about the old "special cheat" in the game somewhere, I'm going to be disappointed.

#12 Cactus Drags

Cactus Drags

BANG BANG!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Actually heard two guys moaning whilst they were watching the demo over the weekend because they made Lara look too much like a boy and got rid of her tits.

#13 King of Invisible Swing

King of Invisible Swing

Even the moon's frightened of me, frightened to death! The whole world's frightened to death!

• The Donators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

If there's no in-joke about the old "special cheat" in the game somewhere, I'm going to be disappointed.

That's part of the skin pack DLC.

#14 PatDaMan

PatDaMan

Midcarder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

It looks good.  I'm not much of a gamer outside of sports games, and the occasional Call of Duty online/GTA, but the new Tomb Raider looks kick ass, I'm considering getting it.

#15 ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Beard.

• Global Mods
  • 26,793 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

From the trailers I've seen, she has the best Lara voice ever.

#16 Dan

Dan

I'm the one who knocks.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,110 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

Lara is lovely in this one. She uses the phrase "northern bastard" which tickled me.

#17 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

Just got it, but can't play it until after work :(

#18 Baddar

Baddar

How can he assist you?

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,014 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Baddarina has picked this up for me from work this evening, so I might give it a crack before the weekend.

Decided on getting it purely because it was under 30 quid with her discount and I'll be finished with Sleeping Dogs shortly.

#19 DMN of the Dead

DMN of the Dead

There are funny things to do, and then there are drugs.

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

Gamefly is sending me this, likely tomorrow. Really excited for it.

#20 Leathsrarface

Leathsrarface

Female Disease

• Global Mods
  • 22,742 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

Gamefly is sending me this, likely tomorrow. Really excited for it.

How did you manage to luck into this? I tried Gamefly and could barely get games 4 years old let alone anything new. Maybe I was just way unlucky like all the time, Oh well at least someone can get good use out of those horrible people

#21 DMN of the Dead

DMN of the Dead

There are funny things to do, and then there are drugs.

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

You just have to keep your list small, plus I happened to get really lucky because I just sent back the last game I had on Monday, right when Tomb Raider was coming out, and the local gamefly warehouse or whatever is really close.

#22 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

First impressions from my three hour stint last night - it borrows heavily from Uncharted in terms of pace, which is only fair since Uncharted borrow heavily from Tomb Raider for almost everything else. It plays very smoothly, it's got some interesting mechanics, and it looks pretty. Hoping there's going to be more levels where it's not dark because of night or rain, because the initial outside level where I had to get my first animal kill was good looking. The bow mechanic is great, I'm preferring to use that and go stealth unless I accidentally trigger a guard reaction, which is where the gun comes out and does its job, so the weapon system is well balanced.

Generally, I'd say so far that I'm confident it's good. How long it'll be might be it's downfall, as I had about 25% complete after just 3 hours last night, but I'm not sure if that includes collectibles or is just the story.

#23 Baddar

Baddar

How can he assist you?

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,014 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Tried the multiplayer yet?

#24 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Not yet, I tend to leave multi until I've finished single player unless someone chases me to play it. Probably get round to it at the weekend.

For a bit of comparison, dem polygons...

uELy5mU.jpg

#25 Baddar

Baddar

How can he assist you?

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,014 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Are you on PS3?

#26 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Went 360. I basically just bought it on the opposite console to Ni No Kuni so I could be lazy and not have to change discs :shifty:

#27 EWB's Best Poster.

EWB's Best Poster.

Titled Member.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

That is hilarious.

#28 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I use that to decide on which console to buy for more often than I'd like to admit.

#29 ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Beard.

• Global Mods
  • 26,793 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Got it yesterday and playing today. Through to the first area and, although I could have continued through the bunker, I came back up to root around for the "stuff". Afterall, Tomb Raider is all about the stuff so I'm happy to play it through that way. It looks lovely, Lara is what 2013 woman vs nature Lara should be and I'm loving the Japanese vibes with the Oni and the mysterious music. I'm already preferring the wider open areas than Uncharted and it seems to me that although the story will be linear, there's scope for you to run around and explore yourself...which is great.

Just put an arrow through a bunny wabbit too so that's lovely.

#30 Peppermint Benjler

Peppermint Benjler

xoxo

• The Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, I'm enjoying the exploration element. I think having so many different collectibles makes it feel a worth the effort to look around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users