Star Trek TV

Your Mom

I hated the series 2 trailer. Hoping it's to lure unsuspecting people in and that the series will be closer in mood to series 1.

Also, I don't want yellow shirts or characters referencing other Trek.....okay okay basically Pike can go do one. 😡

Not seen the trailer yet (and can't access it at work), but ideally they'll do something linked to Pike's Enterprise for maybe two or three episodes at most, then fuck off on a completely separate tangent.

You think the Pike stuff is bad, I think there's a reason we haven't seen Spock yet and I think that stuff is going to be even worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to feel about this, and I'm utterly confused how this will all fit with Universal having been so adamant about anything post Abrams-Trek being in a new continuity completely standalone from everything that came before.

I love Stewart though, and I love Picard. And the idea of him coming back to do it again is really cool, but at the same time, it's really conflicting because i'd rather see them establish new things rather than go with nostalgia runs.

so... yay?

Just now, Jasonmufc said:

I assumed it was always said/implied when they did the Abrams reboot. Pretty sure most questions about tv shows since that time have all mentioned that everything got rebooted.

Unless i'm misremembering

So I'm not an expert or anything, but the way I understand it is that in the real world, they decided they were going to do a Star Trek reboot to draw in new fans. (The Abrams movies) but, so as to not alienate existing fans - who aren't as used to reboots as say, comic book fans - they did it in such a way as to preserve the original timeline. This means that everyone won. New fans could just watch the movies, open minded fans could follow new timelines, and people on reddit could just stick to watching the old stuff and complaining.

I don't think anyone has ever explicitly said they don't want to explore post-nemesis in the original timeline, it's just that after the JJ movies, there was some interest in the Kirk period in the star trek timeline, and they're taking advantage of that with Discovery.

I thought the first Abrams film dealt with that with the two Spocks? 

I'd always thought it was 2 timelines (In fact I could swear I heard the original being referred to as the Prime Universe) but  I also thought that they were unlikely to ever revist the original except in maybe novels or the odd game and that any future TV Shows would likely be set in the new universe(or at least take their inspiration from the world set up in the movies and be some kind of weird hybrid).

Edited by Noah

On 05/08/2018 at 15:28, K said:

So I'm not an expert or anything, but the way I understand it is that in the real world, they decided they were going to do a Star Trek reboot to draw in new fans. (The Abrams movies) but, so as to not alienate existing fans - who aren't as used to reboots as say, comic book fans - they did it in such a way as to preserve the original timeline. This means that everyone won. New fans could just watch the movies, open minded fans could follow new timelines, and people on reddit could just stick to watching the old stuff and complaining.

I don't think anyone has ever explicitly said they don't want to explore post-nemesis in the original timeline, it's just that after the JJ movies, there was some interest in the Kirk period in the star trek timeline, and they're taking advantage of that with Discovery.

On 06/08/2018 at 04:13, stokerino said:

It's just the distinction between whether the new timeline splintered off from the original one or replaced it, I guess. It doesn't really matter either way... 

So here's what's really going on: CBS owns the rights to Star Trek on TV but Paramount owns the rights to the Star Trek films.

For merchandising, because Kirk and Picard were in the movies, any time you do classic Star Trek mechandise, Paramount gets a cut. However, if CBS erases the Prime timeline, they can introduce "new" characters Kirk and Picard from their new timeline and then Paramount doesn't get anything.

Silly and Petty but that's essentially what's going on.

• 1 month later...

Been watching Deep Space Nine for a while now. Didn't think too much of the first four seasons. Characters were pretty good. Had some good episodes here and there. But I couldn't really binge watch it. Two episodes maybe once or twice week, and I was good.

But now that I'm on season 5...holy crap. I don't know what has changed, but all of a sudden, I can't stop watching. The story seems to have picked up ten fold, I can't wait to watch the next episode now. 

28 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Been watching Deep Space Nine for a while now. Didn't think too much of the first four seasons. Characters were pretty good. Had some good episodes here and there. But I couldn't really binge watch it. Two episodes maybe once or twice week, and I was good.

But now that I'm on season 5...holy crap. I don't know what has changed, but all of a sudden, I can't stop watching. The story seems to have picked up ten fold, I can't wait to watch the next episode now. 

Glad you like it man. I fell in love way earlier than you, like maybe season 2 or something, but overall - for me - it's honestly the best Trek has ever been. If you ever rewatch, I think you'll be surprised at just how early some of that stuff was being teased. (And in a few frustrating occasions, how late some stuff was revealed)

• Like 1

Regarding Trek continuity, the MMO Star Trek Online is considered a continuation of the original timeline. I highly recommend it, as it's enjoyable as hell for a free to play game, and they've brought in several Trek actors to play their original roles (off the top of my head: Leonard Nimoy (narrates parts of the game), Walter Koenig, Michael Dorn, Levar Burton, Denise Crosby (as  both Tasha Yar and Sela), Aron Eisenberg, Tim Russ, Jeri Ryan, Ethan Phillips and Garrett Wang. Oh, and James Doohan's son actually voices Scotty in at least one mission, maybe more. There are other classic Trek actors in the game, but again, those I mentioned were off the top of my head. I've not played since last year.

(Just looked it up. Apparently they added most of the cast from DS9 this year. Just missing either of the Daxes and Avery Brooks from the primary cast, it looks like.)

They've done sequels to a few episodes, also. Most noticably "Yesterday's Enterprise" from TNG, and the one where Harry Kim dies...sort of...and the whole Kobali situation from VOYAGER.

I really need to check out Discovery to find out for myself if it's as shit as the other people I know say it is, or as good as you guys say it is.

Strangely enough I'd probably be the most disappointed if I just found it to be average. Like I expected Fan4tastic to be horrifically bad but it was average and that was disappointing. Average is just dull. :P

Edited by Noah
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Noah said:

I really need to check out Discovery to find out for myself if it's as shit as the other people I know say it is, or as good as you guys say it is.

Strangely enough I'd probably be the most disappointed if I just found it to be average. Like I expected Fan4tastic to be horrifically bad but it was average and that was disappointing. Average is just dull. :P

Discovery is (broadly) good! 

• Like 1