Star Trek TV

Your Mom

Most of the criticism I heard (which admittedly is not a lot, as I didn't go looking for it) seemed to be along the lines of 'it's not the KIND of Trek that I like' (or to break that down further, 'how come every character is a bastard?' and 'wtf have they done to the Klingons?').

Not that everybody is required to like every new angle or style they come up with, but in that sense it's not too different to the kind of criticism that people who loved campy 60s Trek once leveled at the newer stuff, or the criticism leveled at DS9 for being grittier and stuck on a space station, and so on. I would definitely say it deserves a 'give it a chance and see what you think' viewing at the very least, rather than an 'avoid this because you'll regret it' approach.

• Like 1

I watched Discovery on my Norway vacation and I liked it a lot. It had a bit of a rough start for me in that it felt like it was trying really hard to emphasize every character's worst qualities (except Culver) for the first four episodes or so, but I rode through it and ended up having a good time with it. Nothing mindblowing or revelatory but worth giving a shot.

• Like 2

My brother is a huge Star Trek fan like me, and wrote off the show as soon as he saw what the Klingons looked like.

I think if you added hair, or just included a line about them cutting off their hair to follow T'Kuvma, it would have been fine. Otherwise, I enjoyed the show. The start was a little slow, but once you got to the Discovery, it got a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 13/12/2018 at 15:29, SeanDMan said:

Just a little bit.

Also also

I'm pretty excited about this. I watched the Short Trek episodes "Calypso" and "The Brightest Star" and really enjoyed them. If you haven't seen them, check them out right away.

That new Discovery trailer is far far better than that earlier one where they tried to include all ze jokes. Makes me want to watch it much more, as long as they don't just dump all the Enterprise crew onto the Discovery. I don't want to see the yellow and blue shirts all the time, it's nice that Disco has its own personality, look and feel.

Season six of Deep Space Nine was just as good as season five, if not better. But season seven...geez. I'm ten episodes in and it's like its the first season all over again. There's been two episodes so far that I really liked but the rest of just kind of been there.

Okay well, on one hand, Deep Space Nine probably has the strongest finish of any Trek series. Starting with Penumbra, episode 17, there are nine episodes which conclude one after the other - entirely serialized and it's the conclusion of basically everything the series has been building up. So there is a bit of filler to open the season.

On the second hand, Episode 7x10 is "It's Only A Paper Moon" and you have to be a monster to not like that episode. Are you a monster?

My favourite episodes of sci fi, Star Trek especially, are ones where you can sit down afterwards and have a conversation. I think with "It's Only A Paper Moon" can start a conversation about the idea of PTSD from people who have experienced trauma and about the expectation from society in general that people "suck it up" after their trauma and get back to work, as if these things didn't scar us for life. It's an episode that hits on lots of different notes and IMO is the perfect conclusion for Nog, to go from "Heart Of Stone" to "Moon Of Paper", he's finally become a beautiful little soaring butterfly.

He's then around during the finale episodes but IMO  this is where his story wraps up.

• Like 1