Star Trek TV

Your Mom

Enterprise is not nearly as bad as people here are saying. It wasn't perfect, but it had charm and was really building to something. Voyager had some great episodes, but it was consistently let down by its bad writing, flawed concept and reluctance to take risks.

If you've seen Equinox 1&2, that is what Voyager should have been like the whole time. raw, gritty, at each others throats... instead it was... plain. The concept was brilliant, but the writers chickened out somewhere around episode three, and the remaining 170 episodes was just watered down TNG with different foreheads (And occasionally the same foreheads)

Enterprise knew what it was the whole time, and the writers were confident enough to run with it. There was some bad episodes, some frankly offensive concepts (The one where Tucker gets raped and everyone thought it was hilarious, switch that character with a woman and there would have been uproar), and a load of cheese, but it was enjoyable the whole way through.

• Like 2

My lasting memories of Enterprise boil down to a mix-and-matching of the following major plot themes:

1) Don't we all just hate Vulcans

2) Curse this new-fangled technology like transporters and such

3) LOOK AT T'POL! LOOK-AT-HER-LOOK-AT-HER-LOOK-AT-HER!

Enterprise always struck me as extra bland. Don't feel like Archer is anywhere near Picard/Kirk/Sisko as far as being a good captain and the rest of his crew is really not great, at least not that I've seen. Won't claim to have watched the whole thing but I have seen a fair few episodes. Just seemed very generic and boring. Voyager on the other hand felt very much like they got together all the understudies of Kirk (Paris), Riker (Chakotay), and other previous successful crew members with a bland captain. I've always been told that Voyager gets way better later on but the stuff I've seen has never inspired me to watch that.

*Bashir

Indeed, considering how Bashir starts off the series as a nothing-character ("we put a doctor in because there's always a doctor, but he had no personality or backstory written for him"), he becomes pretty integral to some of the best parts of the series later on.

Plus there's the Garak and Dukat relationship, which I enjoy just because their open loathing is so amusing. I think they spend the first few seasons sniping each other whenever the other's name is mentioned (or, on rare occasion, they're in the same place) but it isn't explained until later.

Speaking of which: Gul Dukat. You know what the other Star Trek series are lacking? A proper, long-term, son-of-a-bitch villain. Oh sure, you'll get the odd recurring bad guy if only because it makes things simpler (like that Romulan commander in TNG, whose name I forget), and although the Borg Queen in Voyager gets a decent number of appearances, she doesn't really develop in any way - aside from descending into an Alpha Female fight with Janeway, that is.

People usually go straight to Odo, Quark, etc. when pointing out DS9's great characters, but I'd say Dukat is one of the most significant factors in the series' brilliance.

(Then there are other recurring villains like Winn, who is so good at being a villain that I still feel the urge to punch her every time she opens her mouth.)

Pretty great assessment of why DS9 is great. Also had other great villains in the Dominion and Maquis. As far as episodic storytelling goes, that's the peak in Star Trek lore. I like pretty much everybody on DS9. In fact, the only reason I rate DS9 as third of the top three series is that I always find Avery Brooks's acting far too bombastic, tends to take me out of scenes. Other than that, and Jake (though Jake and Nog have some good bits), DS9 is pretty damn good.

Yeah. It's very strange in that I think Sisko is a good captain and that Brooks plays him well, but sometimes he fucking goes out there. I would imagine the director constantly burying his face in his hands, but I read that everybody was expecting his big sloppy breakdown in the 50s time traveler sci-fi writer episode to win a fucking award when it was the cheesiest thing I've ever seen.

If we still had minuses, this post would get 1000 of them but seeing as most of you hate Voyager.....well screw you all. (N)

1. The Original Series. Fun and over the top but it did have the occasional emotional moment and the chemistry between DeForest Kelley, Leonad Nimoy and Bill Shatner was just magnificent. Plus when I got into Star Trek, it was the only show where I could watch from the first to last episode.(even though it came to a premature end)

2. Voyager. Screw you all! It had the spirit of the original in that there was so much to explore, I liked the fact that they had this clearly defined end goal and the chemistry between Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill was wonderful. The Holographic Doctor is also one of the best characters in Star Trek. It was also the first Star Trek Show that I was around for the premiere of(I still remember Robert Picardo guest starring on Hey Hey It's Saturday and promoting the show that started following the episode of Hey Hey). So I knew with Voyager here was a Star Trek show I could finally watch from start to finish unlike any show before it.

3. Next Gen. Probably the best developed cast but my personal enjoyment suffered from the fact that when I got into star trek, it had been on for years and I felt overwhelmed by its history. This wasn't a time when you can get an entire show on dvd and watch it on a weekend, so I missed the boat here. The movies were wonderful though and don't think just because I have Voyager higher, it means I think they would have made better movies, it's clear that this was the best group of characters and the best suited for the movie franchise(even more so than the original series cast).

4. Deep Space Nine. Same as Next Gen to an extent. By the time I started getting really interested in Star Trek It had already started and I kept hearing bad things from a bunch of other fans. It recently started airing from the start on an australian free-to-air digital channel and I guess you could say I'm finally giving it the fair go I probably denied it before.

5. Enterprise. Never seen an episode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As weird as the site is, why do you think that Gates McFadden runs it? Didn't see where it said that she did and the action figure thing seems more like a fan thing to do.

I think it's more weird that they actually bothered to make a Dr Crusher figure in the DS9/Voyager style uniform myself :shifty:

The Original Series is the best. After that they seem to get ever more series and lose a bit of their charm. I remember watching Next Generation but never really giving a damn about anyone other than Data, and DS9 eventually wore me down too much. Having said that I've never really tried to rewatch any series, and I strongly suspect TOS doesn't hold up anymore.

They did have those uniforms in Star Trek Generations (although I can't find a confirmed screenshot of Beverly to save my life)...

20130105143057_90734.jpg

Yes, I know they had them (Patrick Stewart and Brent Spinner's were custom made, while Jonathan Frakes and Levar Burton got handoffs from DS9), however, neither of the women appeared in them.

I always liked the DS9/Voyager uniforms most..particularly the grey ones DS9 started to use when the Dominion War started