Star Trek TV

Your Mom

My suspicion is that these last few episodes have been mainly about manoeuvring the various 'pieces' around to get everything in place for whatever the main second-half-of-season arc is going to be, so I expect it to pick up in a couple of weeks or so.

I love when you get to see more from characters that reside in the background in most episodes. Last nights episode was...

Spoiler

...basically all about Airiam, and it was fantastic to learn more about who she is and what was going on inside her head. And the end of the episode was truly heartbreaking, which is an incredible feat for the show to pull off for a character we only really started to know 45 minutes earlier.

That was a stunningly good episode.

Also, this made me happy:

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling

Basically I love Sci Fi series that manage to at least hint that we're just dipping in on their experiences every few days or weeks and that there is downtime and very normal interaction between crew / characters. It's one of the many reasons why I absolutely adore Farscape (sometimes it really does feel like you've just suddenly been dropped into the middle of something and have no idea what's going on so have to catch up and clearly they've been interacting with each other while we've not "been there") and I always really appreciate it in Star Trek.

For example a couple of other times in this series they've hinted that they're not always just standing around on the bridge, staring off silently as the ship travels. There's clearly got to be some level of bantz and chats going on. They hint at it in a meeting in an earlier episode and there's a bit of it on the bridge early in another episode too. Also, the big dancy party scene when Mudd turns up is a cool vibe too and Detmer's getting it on with a fella.

Image result for keyla detmer

I would have LOVED more Airian, it's a shame we have to lose her in order to truly meet her. I guess the danger might have been that she would have become a little too early series Data.

45 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

That was a stunningly good episode.

Also, this made me happy:

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling

Basically I love Sci Fi series that manage to at least hint that we're just dipping in on their experiences every few days or weeks and that there is downtime and very normal interaction between crew / characters. It's one of the many reasons why I absolutely adore Farscape (sometimes it really does feel like you've just suddenly been dropped into the middle of something and have no idea what's going on so have to catch up and clearly they've been interacting with each other while we've not "been there") and I always really appreciate it in Star Trek.

For example a couple of other times in this series they've hinted that they're not always just standing around on the bridge, staring off silently as the ship travels. There's clearly got to be some level of bantz and chats going on. They hint at it in a meeting in an earlier episode and there's a bit of it on the bridge early in another episode too. Also, the big dancy party scene when Mudd turns up is a cool vibe too and Detmer's getting it on with a fella.

Image result for keyla detmer

Hide contents

I would have LOVED more Airian, it's a shame we have to lose her in order to truly meet her. I guess the danger might have been that she would have become a little too early series Data.

Is Airiam dead, dead? No-one really dies in Star Trek, right? I guess it just never occurred to me that she was gone for good. I'm kinda bummed out if she is.

1 minute ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Hide contents

There's a rumour that she's the red angel.

Rather her than spock, which is the other rumour I've heard.

Mini episodes spoiler

A guy at work thinks it's going to be Craft, from the Mini episode Calypso. It was set 1,000 years in the future, and Craft has this like, winged tattoo thing going on
1000?cb=20181110075452&path-prefix=en

Spoiler

@K Is Airiam dead, dead? No-one really dies in Star Trek, right? I guess it just never occurred to me that she was gone for good. I'm kinda bummed out if she is.

Spoiler

I'm going to say yes based on how the episode ended. Though that probably doesn't mean the thing inside her is...as that would be a suitably Star Trek twist

Really, really enjoyed the last episode. I was very so-so during season 1, though it certainly picked up towards the end of the season. However, season two has been a delight from start to recent.

Edited by SquareRootOfSi

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really bad at remembering stuff that's happened in TV shows I've watched, but when did Tilly first meet Po? We watched half the recap thinking we'd missed an episode and had to check before watching?

51 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm really bad at remembering stuff that's happened in TV shows I've watched, but when did Tilly first meet Po? We watched half the recap thinking we'd missed an episode and had to check before watching?

It was in the first Short Trek, Runaway.

If you're watching on Netflix, they're available under the 'Trailers + More' section,

trek.JPG

10 minutes ago, Colly said:

Ah cheers. Are they all worth watching?

yeah man, although you'll have already seen most of the Saru one because they flashed back to it during that episode when they went to his home planet.

They're only like ten minutes long. they're good.

• Like 1

That penultimate episode was a total banger.

A third series focusing on a smaller crew in the future would be pretty cool as a continuation of this story. Or at least half a series. Frees them up a little. I like the idea of a third captain (Saru preferably) in three seasons. Pike really grew on me.

Enterprise bridge looked really cool. Also I like how they tied into ST stuff by explaining why they won't use hologram communication any more and dilithium crystal evolution etc.

51 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

That penultimate episode was a total banger.

Hide contents

A third series focusing on a smaller crew in the future would be pretty cool as a continuation of this story. Or at least half a series. Frees them up a little. I like the idea of a third captain (Saru preferably) in three seasons. Pike really grew on me.

Enterprise bridge looked really cool. Also I like how they tied into ST stuff by explaining why they won't use hologram communication any more and dilithium crystal evolution etc.

I feel like the third season is going to be in the future, and getting back is going to be the driving force of the season. Did you watch the mini episodes? There's something in there that kind of supports this idea. It's gonna be cool either way, really enjoyed season two.

Left speechless by the finale. Brilliant television. 

It's sooooo cheesy at times but so so so so amazing and that makes the cheese a positive.

Love this Trek so so hard.

THE ONE GOOD ADMIRAL STARFLEET HAS EVER HAD!!!

I LOVED the effects for the Angel jumps. Almost as good as the effects on the film Sunshine when they went into the sun.