Benji

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I couldn't agree more. I really wish I could just stop watching, but there's this tiny part of my brain that goes 'Naaaaah, it'll be good this week! They have to have some kind of awesome end-game in mind, right?!', and then I watch, and then I hate myself for having wasted an hour.

• Like 1

I gave up weeks ago, Episode 12 with Felicity's father was my breaking point, it was absolutely painful to watch. I'm literally only watching now because I like to see a season out if I went in hopeful (which I mostly did this season), but outside of the death of Felicity, I'm done and will probably just marathon the show down the line if I hear it got good again. Genuinely might be the biggest drop in quality for a show I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Without a doubt, I can't think of a greater fall from grace.

To be honest, I don't even need the death of Felicity. Just return her character closer to how she was; smart, funny, nerdy, but NOT The Most Important Person In The Room. We don't need that. The show is called Arrow. Oliver should be the main thrust, followed by anyone else that immediately impacts battles with villians. It's a fucking comic book show. Thea, Diggle, sure. But not someone who somehow can Hack The World. It's not exciting visually, so knock it off.

• Like 1

Arrow has always been plagued by terrible writing. The writers aren’t particularly imaginative, they’re woefully limited, they don’t know how to balance putting steam on the bad guys without killing hope or maintain your incentive in watching the good guys fight back, and they don’t seem to have any grasp of logic, with their ideas often being completely ridiculous. Case in point is that after all this time of Team Arrow trying to find out a way to counter the magic of Damian Darhk, after totally screwing up the plot of having to get the idol and destroy it, which would make sense given the rules they’ve established and the some of the flashbacks they’ve shown, after apparently dropping the idea that something to do with Thea being brought back can help, what do they come up with? What’s their big idea for what the Oliver needs to do in order to beat Darhk? He needs to think good thoughts. That was stupid enough that I considered cutting my losses there and then and not even bother with seeing the episode out, let alone the rest of the season. As it is, I’m with those who are going to see the season out simply because we’ve somehow stuck with it this far, and we may as well stay for the final few episodes to see how this absurdity plays out. After that, I’m done, because, despite some of the strengths it does have, Arrow is just too poorly written and put together to waste any more time on.

I’m also in agreement with the sentiment of @GoGo Yubari , over having a functional adult relationship, especially for Oliver and for the main hero in general. Yes, it's not overly dramatic that the hero has a normal relationship with someone else, but that's what bad guys are for, adding drama, and not only that, it's nice to have something consistently positive to hold on to whilst the rest of the drama is going on.

• Like 3

The only way I watch again is if Barry turning back time or Earth 3 getting merged into the universe undoes pretty much everything from this season.

Edited by Kirkland

I think I still hate season 3 more than this one because this is at least a trainwreck instead of a slow, thudding march to inevitability. They're just throwing more and more shit at the wall; it's like they divided the writer's room up into teams and gave them each a segment of the season and forbade them from ever talking to the other teams about where the season's going or what's going to happen next. The arc of that campaign manager character in particular is the biggest offender. I guess he's dead now? I guess Anarky killed him? I guess he got drugged like those soldiers earlier in the season or something? I mean. Okay. Sure. Bye!

Felicity basically has the same nightmare state that Kurt had in Glee where a supporting character becomes the most popular one and in being shunted into the center of the show, the writers ultimately overreach and forget what made the character popular in the first place. I think killing her off is mad lazy but they should find a way to write her out and just have her guest on The Flash, sans baggage, sometimes. Ollie and his increasingly convoluted backstory is just as bad, though. They'd be best off declaring that season 5 of Arrow will be the last one, making sure Stephen Amell is down to appear from time to time on other shows in that universe, and just figure out something to replace it with.

What I liked the most about Arrow in season 1 was that I didn't have to stretch my imagination too much to believe what was going on.  I understand it's a super hero show, but I liked that it was realistic.

Now, the amount of people that have died and came back to life, I just don't believe anything that they do they will commit to.  I still don't believe Laurel is dead.

I'm like everyone else, I'm probably dropping this after the season is over.

Last night episode had the lowest rating of the series so far

• Like 3

I got around to the Legends episode with future Green Arrow and man I can not stop watching that last fight scene over and over.

God I hope next season of Arrow is better. I wanna like you, show! You have one of my favorite heroes!

• Like 1

What they’ve apparently got planned for next seasons comes off as an idea born out of either desperation or a ridiculous level infatuation with their own perceived success. It’s the ultimate hotshot idea and it’s what you’d expect from people who lack either the ability or willingness to reign themselves in.

The bringing people back to life idea isn’t necessarily a bad one, but like every idea these people have had, they’ve run it into the ground and then some, by going to it over and over and over and over and over again. Raising someone from the dead has lost all meaning because it’s not something special; it’s almost expected at this point. And once you’ve reached that point, when you do kill someone off for good, you get one of two reactions. You get people who were fans of the character angry, and not in a good way, because you’ve killed off their favourite whilst letting so many others come back. Or you get people not giving a shit because it’s painfully obvious the writers are trying to pull their strings and they’re not going to play ball. Yes, we know that’s what they’re meant to be doing because that’s the point of writing any show, but we don’t it rubbed in our faces that you’re trying to get a reaction out of us.

They’ve rendered death completely meaningless. It’s lost all power as a story telling tool because they’ve killed off and then brought back so many people that it doesn’t feel special anymore. It doesn’t hit you like a death is supposed to.

So, after all that, let’s move on to the latest episode of one of the worst written shows in television today.

Spoiler

What a pile of absolute dog shit. As always, they made the bad guys so ultra fucking powerful that you couldn’t possibly have any faith that the good guys will come through in the end. When the good guys did get a break, it wasn’t because of anything they did; it was either because someone else screwed up or because some other bad guy came along and fucked up the plans of the main bad guy. Not only that, this other bad guy, without breaking a sweat and with virtual ease, does what the good guys have spent weeks trying to do, which is have Damian Darhk over a barrel. Mrs. Darhk goes from hated villain to someone we’re meant to feel empathy with in the blink of an eye, without so much as any kind of build up, which is pretty much essential when you’re taking a character from one end of the spectrum to the other. They take Mrs. Smoake, one of the good guys, and do what they usually do with good guys, or least female good guys, and make her come across as a complete tool because she’s not getting her own way. They’ve taken Malcolm Merlyn and turned him from one of the most interesting characters in the whole series, someone with real depth, into an over-the-top, run-of-the-mill TV bad guy dad, and he’s now just another clown in a veritable cavalcade of clowns and goofballs.

I’m trying to think of some way these writers could fuck up even more, but I think they’ve done just about everything you could do if you wanted to take a well written show that had characters with depth and turn it into a walking, talking ball of suck.

Edited by Vince Russo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vince Russo said:

What they’ve apparently got planned for next seasons comes off as an idea born out of either desperation or a ridiculous level infatuation with their own perceived success. It’s the ultimate hotshot idea and it’s what you’d expect from people who lack either the ability or willingness to reign themselves in.

What have they got planned?

19 minutes ago, Benji said:

What have they got planned?

Spoiler

The four way crossover with Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

I generally like crossover episodes, and I usually look forward to them because they give you something different. The Arrow/Flash and Arrow/Legends crossovers, especially the latter one, are examples of good crossovers. And if it was just two of the shows, ideally one of the newer ones along one of the established shows, then it could be good and probably would be, and it would actually help the newer show because that sort of thing doesn’t really work if you’re not subtle about.

But using all four shows, with two of them having only just completed their first season when it all goes down, feels like a desperation attempt to kickstart the newer shows into life. And even if all four shows were established, it would take even the best people to be at the top of their game to stop this from turning into a convoluted mess, and as we’ve seen time and time again in recent months, these people are not up to that task.

I basically burst out laughing every single time one of the flashbacks ended this week so that's not a good sign.

They would be best served to have the showrunners loudly and repeatedly make clear that Laurel is dead and dead for good, because I think that was a good decision that's been completely undermined by the Lazarus Pit shenanigans.

Spoilers for this week's Flash behind the cut:

Spoiler

and if they want to use Katie Cassidy, they've got an evil doppelganger of Laurel trapped in a cell at S.T.A.R. Labs.