2013 MLB Season Thread

The Buscher

Don't want to jinx it but the Cubs are playing pretty great lately

Even the worst teams have hot and cold streaks. I remember the few years where the Orioles would get off to a good start, sometimes they were at or above .500 going into May. In 2005 they were in the playoff hunt until the middle of August, and they still managed to finish 14 games below .500.

On that note, it's both fun and annoying now that the Orioles are good with the way they are treated by fans. People who previously would already have started counting down the days until Ravens training camp are following the games much more closely and being much more critical of the team. This means a lot more celebration when they win games, and when they lose 2 straight people talking about how bad Adam Jones and Jim Johnson are just to name a few. It's like talking to Yankees, Mets, and Phillies fans when I lived in Philadelphia, only they support the team I like. I wonder LNK, have you had the same appearance to your Facebook news feed after Orioles games?

• Like 1

Don't want to jinx it but the Cubs are playing pretty great lately

Even the worst teams have hot and cold streaks. I remember the few years where the Orioles would get off to a good start, sometimes they were at or above .500 going into May. In 2005 they were in the playoff hunt until the middle of August, and they still managed to finish 14 games below .500.

On that note, it's both fun and annoying now that the Orioles are good with the way they are treated by fans. People who previously would already have started counting down the days until Ravens training camp are following the games much more closely and being much more critical of the team. This means a lot more celebration when they win games, and when they lose 2 straight people talking about how bad Adam Jones and Jim Johnson are just to name a few. It's like talking to Yankees, Mets, and Phillies fans when I lived in Philadelphia, only they support the team I like. I wonder LNK, have you had the same appearance to your Facebook news feed after Orioles games?

Most of my friends either don't follow sports or only care about football. Of the ones that do watch the Orioles, they don't take to Facebook with their pitchforks and torches. My friends are pretty boring.

J.A. Happ was taken off the field on a stretcher after he was struck in the face by a Desmond Jennings liner. I've not seen video of it yet, the O's announcers made it sound really scary. Hope he's alright. I still remember when Mussina was hit in the face 15 years ago like it was yesterday. That shook me up so much I was scared of getting hit by the ball when I played for the rest of that season.

Best pitching performance I've seen live. Matt Harvey is just outstanding.

Kinda glad in retrospect that he gave up a hit. Would have been gutting to see him have to leave after 9 perfect innings but it wouldn't count as a perfect game because of lack of run support.

To take off the heaviness of Happ getting hit with a liner, here is Matt Kemp signing a ball, then giving his hat, jersey and cleats to a disabled fan

• Like 2

So Doc Halladay needs to have surgery on his shoulder..bone spurs, a frayed labrum and a partially torn rotator cuff...rehab time of 3 months. It sucks that the last few games I might've seen of him as a Phillie were such bad starts, but it explains his issues with control and location I guess. And with how he played last season and this season, who knows if he'd get resigned anywhere in the off-season. Sucks that a player like Doc might see his career end this way

Let me ask you all a couple of things:

1. What's up with John Buck? He's already got 10 home runs in just a bit over 100 at bats, and the only player in Mets history to get to 10 HRs faster in a season was known more for playing for the A's: Dave Kingman. Buck hit 12 all of last season and 16 the year before that. Has he really improved his skills that much, or is it some kind of fluke? (Not going to bring PEDs into this)

2. Should I hold onto R.A. Dickey on my fantasy team, or dump him? I know he tends to start off bad, but he only lasted 6 innings against Tampa Bay, left the game with a 3.00 ERA and 5 Ks. He's only got 2 wins so far, and a 5.36 ERA with 33 Ks. I'm seriously considering dumping him and taking a risk on Zack Greinke, who is returning and is currently available in the league I'm playing in. (I'm also considering releasing Alex Cobb to pick up Greinke)

Edited by GhostMachine

You should be picking up Grienke immediately.

Thought so. Just wanted a second opinion. Thanks. :)

I kept Dickey and dumped Alex Cobb to grab Greinke. Cobb starts for the Rays tonight, and will count as being on my team, since the transaction won't go through until tomorrow. I have Mariano Rivera and Aroldis Chapman for my closers, so I'm doing good when it comes to getting saves. But my starting pitching.....not so much. I probably should have dumped Tim Hudson instead of Alex Cobb (Hudson has 1 less K and an ERA over a point higher), but something told me to hold onto Hudson for now.