Pens and Papers

KONGO

KFC: We made a dating sim!

Wendys: Hold my frosty.

https://www.feastoflegends.com/

• Like 1

They call 4d4s "Four for Four" and the end boss is basically a cross between The Night King and Ronald McDonald. They also call the Burger King's domain "Creepvale".

And you get (stackable) bonuses for eating Wendy's at the table and debuffs for eating anything but Wendy's.

This is greatest thing.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have experience playing in the D&D Adventurer's League? Since I'm always the DM for my group, I decided to give this a go so I could play. So far, it's been fun. A few of the other players are a bit annoying (bullying other players or not allowing the less experienced players to have their moments), but I've tried to help keep the games going and give the younger players a chance to shine. 

• 1 month later...

Towards the end of 2019 (aka the less bad year) four of us (three players and one gm) started playing classic Traveller. As much as I can enjoy a fantasy setting as much as the next person I've always preferred cyberpunk and hard sci-fi (Traveller is hard sci-fi). It was always going to be a trial play before switching up to Mongoose Traveller 2nd Ed which has far more cool stuff going on. This Saturday is when we create characters (Traveller character creation is the best). Sadly we have to do it over Teams rather than around a table, but so be it.

We're going to create two characters each so we have a back-up as and when needed. Traveller creation follows a story of four year chunks where you can stay in your chosen profession, or be forced to drop out, change career paths, get injured, develop skills etc as you go along.....so I can't guarantee anything BUT, playing to my usual style of play I'm hoping that my first character will be an artist with plenty of talky skills, electronics, carouse and some sneaky bits. My back-up will be a space scout explorer.

I also tend to play female, mostly because I think it gives my crewmates something to play off as I know they'll both be guys. Pretty certain one is looking into being a medic with weapon skills and the other being more heavy weapons but joining the military from the upper class.

In dnd parlance I guess that gives us a bard/rogue, a warrior character and a magicy-shooty-druid. But I love sci-fi more, so I'm just extremely excited to kick things off again.

Traveler's always intrigued me, mostly because the first thing I heard about it was that your character can actually die during chargen.

• Haha 1

On 26/03/2020 at 02:57, OctoberRaven said:

Traveler's always intrigued me, mostly because the first thing I heard about it was that your character can actually die during chargen.

Sadly they can't in the new Mongoose edition, but they could back in the day!

We completed character gen using the Teams video app last Saturday. We play slow and banter a lot as we play but, to get two characters each (6 in total) we went about 6 hours or so. Loads of fun too. I got my artist-drifter character to a decent standard in the end which I was very pleased about. My scout was pretty good too. Funtimes were had and we're starting the new adventure next Saturday.

• 4 weeks later...

So over the last couple weeks, my partner has been running some 5e over Zoom for some friends and I. And while I honestly enjoy playing a character, I really miss DMing. So I've set up a one shot this Sunday for some coworkers and random online folks we know through Zoom. I know a lot of people complain about being "the DM friend" but I can't be the only one who prefers running games to playing in them, right?

I see it as flexing different muscles, and get different benefits from both. I run one campaign and play in another, and while I do definitely enjoy building the world and having it react to my players in the one where I'm the DM, I also enjoy not having to worry about preparing dozens of possible NPCs that may have to react to what's going on, and just focusing on how one character will respond.

• 4 weeks later...

I love doing both. World building is one of my favorite things to do and I enjoy creating the various places, factions and history of a world as a DM. Also I'm easily bored so getting to essentially "play" as basically as many characters as I want is a lot of fun for me.

That said it is nice to be a PC and get to really develop a character more than you really will as a DM. Also not having to really prep a whole lot of stuff as a PC doesn't hurt. I'd say I probably prefer to DM than to play, but at this point I'd be happy to get to do either <_<

I've been thinking of doing an online game with voice chat or whatever here on the board but have no idea where to post such an idea, who would be interested and with time zones and such I have no idea how it'd even be organized. Still even a one shot would be fun if anyone here is interested.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So with the hopes of this lockdown ending as soon as, I’m preparing to DM a campaign. They wanted a city based intrigue one, so I built a city and may have went a little overboard! Here’s what I’ve got so far if anyone wants to steal stuff. It’s the social, political, military, religious etc stuff about the city, as well as loads of factions and major NPCs. 

Word Document

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rukaru Shida said:

How easy is it to use Roll20? Or does Tabletop Simulator have a decent Tabletop experience?

I used roll20 as a player for the first time about a month or so ago.and it worked fine for me, easy enough 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rukaru Shida said:

How easy is it to use Roll20? Or does Tabletop Simulator have a decent Tabletop experience?

Roll20 is easy easy. We use it every Friday for our D&D. Our DM likes it and he's DM'd a few games. All of us players are newbs, but you've got video chat, a chat-chat where you roll your die, you can have music playing or background noise when in a dungeon or city. It's absolutely fine and free. 

• Like 1

What I don't like about online: Its a lot more satisfying rolling a natural 20 with your own dice than doing it electronically. And even more satisfying ending a game and messing up the DMs plans, plus the looks on the other players' faces when the way to defeat the final boss is way too obvious and you one-shot said boss with a natural 20.

D&D game at a con, using pre-gen characters and Players Options rules. I was using a Elf Ranger with Longbow Grandmaster and the end boss was a Lich. I called a shot on its phylactery, which stood out like a sore thumb. Natural 20. Longbow Grandmaster means quadruple damage, not double, on a crit. Instant kill. The ONLY time I've ever rolled a natural 20 at a convention, but i haven't been to one in over a decade and I played Shadowrun, which doesn't use 20 sided dice, more often than D&D. My only other D&D moment of glory at a con (different game) was being the only player to realize a trap involved a Black Pudding and using Oil of Acid Resistance to disarm it. That was a Living City game. (I still have my RPGA Network membership card, despite it being shut down years ago. For sentimental reasons. No clue where my membership pin is.)

• Like 1