Pens and Papers

KONGO

Me and my friends restarted playing D&D a couple of weeks ago. By yesterday, one guy had already managed to basically trash the campaign through playing a lawful stupid paladin who turned an entire town against us by trying to intervene in the execution of a criminal because, he claimed, in medieval times no one got hanged for attempted murder, just murder. :shifty:

Medieval times in our world, not in that world!

And it seems like most people aren't equipped to play a paladin.

There is a way to play a paladin right, but it is really hard to find someone who plays one right. Currently I'm in a campaign with someone who doesn't do it right. Pretty much every session includes me the CN vampire-lady, the CN drug-selling Magus, and the CN blood-thirsty Fighter trying to plan around the stubbornness of the Paladin. Like one time we had to get info out of a guy and we were just about to beat the info out of him, but the Paladin says "no that is evil we can't do that." And we say in response "If we don't do it, the entire town dies. What's more evil, beating this guy and not killing him to get info to save the town, or not beating this guy, getting no info and the town dies?" And still he wouldn't budge.

I want to try playing a Paladin to see how it is. My first class was an Invoker and I couldn't get into it, but I also want to try that again now that I have more of an idea what I'm doing.

But I also want to play a Dragonborn Warlord... I need to find a good group on that Roll20 site for an online campaign <_<

Well, they DID just start a kick starter for "caverns" version of their sets. As of two days ago. Having a group of players chip in 40 each would get you three sets.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dwarven-forges-caverns-dwarvenite-game-tiles-mini?ref=banner

Burni.. I'll be honest. ALL archers are OP.

Because they dont have to move to get all attacks in, they can start shooting large amounts of arrows at anytime.

In fact with rapid shot and multi shot, they go even more. At even lowest levels they are blasting massive amounts of arrows down range, killing things before they move.

You want to limit him? Look at his sheet, look at the amount of arrows, then mark them off on your own. When he runs out, ignore him.

Because the only downside to an Archer is that they spend about 25 arrows a combat, and only buy 50 of them in the first place.

Medieval times in our world, not in that world!

And it seems like most people aren't equipped to play a paladin.

Pretty sure even medieval times in our world saw people getting strung up for looking at the wrong dude funny.

Is there anyone who plays D&D and also watches The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra?

For my Avatar campaign I want to have the Pro Bending from Korra be something the players can participate in in a way, but I'm not too sure how to actually have the mechanics work. I was originally thinking of having the attacking creature and the defending creature roll 5d6 and having it work similar to Shadowrun, where the difference between successes is the number of squares that the defending creature is pushed (assuming the attacking creature rolls more successes). Then I was thinking of adding in a d20 attack roll to see if they actually hit first.

Any suggestions?

Because they dont have to move to get all attacks in, they can start shooting large amounts of arrows at anytime.

In fact with rapid shot and multi shot, they go even more. At even lowest levels they are blasting massive amounts of arrows down range, killing things before they move.

You want to limit him? Look at his sheet, look at the amount of arrows, then mark them off on your own. When he runs out, ignore him.

Because the only downside to an Archer is that they spend about 25 arrows a combat, and only buy 50 of them in the first place.

Hmm I should put more context in my first post. As a DM yes there are ways to check and counter someone running the zen archer. I'm talking more about balancing with the rest of the party. My friend plays a zen archer monk archetype and it usually just boils down to him vs the DM, the other players don't see any point in participating in the fight (especially if it's a boss fight with only one enemy) because the zen archer will usually take them all down by himself, most of the time without support from other players.

Hmm I should put more context in my first post. As a DM yes there are ways to check and counter someone running the zen archer. I'm talking more about balancing with the rest of the party. My friend plays a zen archer monk archetype and it usually just boils down to him vs the DM, the other players don't see any point in participating in the fight (especially if it's a boss fight with only one enemy) because the zen archer will usually take them all down by himself, most of the time without support from other players.

Snatch Arrow feat, Wind Wall spell, fog, have enemies with total concealment, etc...

Snatch Arrow feat, Wind Wall spell, fog, have enemies with total concealment, etc.

That really doesn't help the problem. Zen Archers are also monks so they have no problems going into melee either. Once again it's a player balancing issue, and I know most of my players would not want to play with this archetype in the group.

Snatch Arrow feat, Wind Wall spell, fog, have enemies with total concealment, etc.

That really doesn't help the problem. Zen Archers are also monks so they have no problems going into melee either. Once again it's a player balancing issue, and I know most of my players would not want to play with this archetype in the group.

Well, if they are going Zen Archer, odds are they won't be putting much into their strength stat, and they can't use Flurry Of Blows, so they won't be great in melee.

And if the other players are having issues with it, talk with the player, sit him down and let him know that his character is creating a problem.

Having some first session jitters, so are there any tips anyone could give on running the first session as a "new" DM? I say new as my first time as DM was with a prewritten module, so this will be my first time on my own.

I think it's just the amount of openness without a module is a bit daunting; once the first session concludes I think I'll be more confident/have a better idea of what to do. I'm just worrying about having the first session and not knowing where to have things go or what to do.

I've probably already posted something similar in the past, but for the sake of more current advice.