Pens and Papers

KONGO

Depending on just how much of a challenge you want to make it, I wouldn't give the bad guys much healing, unless the players have a lot of ranged combatants and spell casters.

And what environment is the fight going to take place in? Indoors or outdoors? (Yes, there's a reason I ask)

Question for DMs. I will have ten level 11 adventurers, would it be too much for them to have a boss fight against a level 15 Orc Barbarian and two level seven Warriors?

TEN level 11?

A level 15 dude will be nothing. Action economy. The PC's will get 10 turns (with multiple attacks each, I imagine) to the baddies 1.

• Like 1

I asked about location because I was thinking of defensive positioning options plus the always popular "Run like hell!" tactic if things go sour.

With 8 Level 11s, I'd leave the Orc Barbarian alone but bump the # and level of Warriors up to 3 Level 9s, minimum. If things go too easy, have a Level 11 that can cast healing spells on standby, that you can toss into the fight if necessary.

(If the PCs have a lot of ranged attacks, make sure the Warriors have shields, not 2handed weapons)

Fun little trick my GM threw at us during last week's session, where a group of bandits tried the old "pretend to be guards to rob you guys" trick and failed, miserably.

The bandits were actually part of a cult trying to sow political chaos by pretending to kidnap a noble (my character). We hadn't figured out why they were looking to kidnap someone after we beat them, however. Our plan was to Charm Person the not-dead bandits, including the leader who was a cleric or something (whatever he was, he sucked at combat enough that he couldn't grapple a 110 pound wizard with strength 9).

Paladin uses his Divine Sense, and finds a weird bit of magic in his skull.

Which was basically a suicide Fireball.

Thanks to a successful Arcana check and even the wacky Marxist ranger (no, really) who bickers with everyone deciding not to argue with my suggestion to get away from the cleric nobody got killed. But it was a pretty cool trap to spring on us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I just ran my third session. The party finally got to the climactic battle against the big bad and...they all died. One of them made a huge mistake that drew in a bunch of extra creatures into what was supposed to be a the party vs 1 fight. It was a massacre.

Sweet. Now make a new group and have them at the Inn and overhear a rumour that the first groups missing. Too bad since they spent a lot of gold at the town before they left. Anyone finding them would likely get all the gold they had on them.

Then have the new group go in. Add a few wandering monsters to shake things up. And move on.

As for me, just finished a two and half year campaign this last Thursday. My witch retired at level 15.

At the end I beat the end guy with a level one and two spell. He couldn't do anything and the group cleaned house.

Which edition?

Also...had my party take down a cult group yesterday that ended in a climatic hydra fight. It lasted 3 rounds (AFTER pumping up it's HP a bit more)....apparently a level 4 party is too strong from a 6 headed Hydra (only one party member went down, and I wasn't able to hit the monk).

What's the best way to hit a monk with 21 AC at level 4?

What's the best way to hit a monk with 21 AC at level 4?

Excellent question. Monks have strong saves, and a great touch AC. Usually the more armored something is the easier it is to touch it. (Really most dragons have like an 8.) Because the bonus is Dex and wisdom added in they are fast.

However, here's some things you can do.

One, flank them. This will work and adds +2 to hit. Doesn't sound like a lot? That's 10% of their AC.

Two. Bluff checks. When you bluff check to feint, (even better with improved feint) you kill that massive AC bonus. He will keep the class AC boost and the wisdom boost but the Dex bonus will go poof.

three. Grapple. Use if larger than the monk only. Monks have strong defenses but being bigger means a gap in modifiers. If he's playing a small monk you'll steam roll him with a large sized creature. Once pinned he has no defense at all.

Four, wait it out. Monks can boost their AC each run with some ki use. But it's a limited pool.

Five. Remember he can only use ONE ki per turn. So if he flurry of blows he CAN'T increase AC.

And lastly Six. Remember you lose AC if you charge. Watch for players that charge into Combat for the bonus to hit as you gain a huge bonus to hit back.

flat-footed (acting first) also drops Dex to AC. That wisdom boost remains, though. But so long as you ambush or get a strong initiative, Dex bonuses are history and you can drop his AC to a 16 or so for the first round.

after that he will act, get his AC back and help the party out. All these will hurt him and not kill him, which is a good challenge for any player. To feel the threat of danger.