Pens and Papers

KONGO

Decided to go with...the Crit ring, a +1 Vicious dagger (2d6 + 1d4 damage isn't too bad for second level), an Elixer of Love (that's sorta evil...right?), Robe of Needles (no drawback on this one...it's just cool), and Amulet of Tongues (can understand any language...but they become a mute)

Wow, my players had the worst luck rolling dice tonight! The first few battles was just painful, because EVERYTHING was missing. It was against goblins! When people hit, they usually hit hard thankfully.

...and I learned that Goblin Dogs and Bugbears do a lot of damage.

Well, my Avenger died tonight. I had her turn against the party and she died in the lamest way possible. I was going to "retire" her at the end of this campaign in a few weeks anyway (leave the party and fully worship Levistus, who the party was sort of trying to stop in addition to Vecna) to play a new character. Ended up doing it early tonight based on an encounter we had with another follower of Levistus. In hindsight I should have just waited so that my character could have been seen off in a better way. Our Paladin rolled a natural 1 on an attack and I took damage from it, I ended up getting a crit on our Paladin but our Cleric used a power that nullified the crit and made me take half the damage (32), I took damage from a bomb, and then I stabbed myself to -3 HP.

Now I'm trying to decide between Warforged Wizard, Elf Swordmage, or Longtooth Shifter Ranger (melee based). Leaning more towards the first two, since I haven't really played a good controller or a defender.

One of my players is considering cross-classing into Summoner...which means I gotta learn about Eidolons.

At first level, an Eidolon can have a max of three attacks....so, would the Eidolon be able to do, with a full round action, a bite (primary, 1d6), claws (primary, 1d4 and does two attacks)? For a max of 14 damage at level 1? Seems a bit excessive. Am I reading this right?

• 3 weeks later...

One of my players is considering cross-classing into Summoner...which means I gotta learn about Eidolons.

At first level, an Eidolon can have a max of three attacks....so, would the Eidolon be able to do, with a full round action, a bite (primary, 1d6), claws (primary, 1d4 and does two attacks)? For a max of 14 damage at level 1? Seems a bit excessive. Am I reading this right?

It depends on the evolutions that the player chooses, but yes it is possible for a 1st level eidolon to have 3 attacks, but to do so they would have to spend an evolution point in order to do that. The real check on eidolons is that they don't heal naturally, the summoner can heal them with a spell, but it has a drawback in that the summoner has to sacrifice his hit points in order to heal the eidolon.

Would anyone be up for trying d20 Modern?

It's not too much different from standard 3.5 basic mechanics-wise, and a lot of the feats are the same.

I'm trying to get an IRC game started.

If I had the time I'd be up for that IRC, but I don't . Also just got back from a session tonight where I play a tank character. I've never really tried a tank character before this campaign bc i thought it'd be boring. I was wrong, our party of 4 lvl 5 characters just took a CR 10 monster, and it only took me down to about half my hp.

I find damage to be the most boring. Tanking and support to be the most fun.

Damage is like.. Archer what are going to do? I shoot arrows. Yeah. No shit.

Tanking is about getting into the best place to stop them cold and keep your allies options open.

And support is my fav role because every time they hit by just one, and I gave them that one, they know where its coming from, theyaappreciate it, and you know youre a key role.

So yay for tanks!

My D&D group is odd like that. Like...instead of roleplaying characters, all our fun development happens as OOC observations that work their way into the game - like the first thing I did in the first part of the campaign was make a melee attack that Crit'd and insta-gibbed a kobold. Then I have rolled a crapload of 1's ever since. So now my god has abandoned me for my violence.

Our elf missed a couple sessions due to commitments, so she was "out chasing a battle cat". Also she always gets blood on her shoes, much to her chagrin. We turn up to game and have fun together, but honestly it's such a great group of people that nobody feels the need to add the heavier roleplaying into it to have fun. And it is super-great :D

In about two weeks I'll be DMing my Avatar campaign (finalizing characters and powers next week), and I'm looking into getting a blank game mat. I really can't find a large drawing pad that I could use for making custom maps and I also don't feel like having to draw up the 1" squares every time. There are three that I'm looking at and they all seem good; one is a Gamemastery Flipmat by Paizo, another is basically just white laminated paper I believe, and the final one is a Chessex battlemat, which is apparently pretty durable. All three can be drawn on which is a big plus for me. Anyone ever used a game mat that could offer an opinion?

Edited by Vitamin E