Pens and Papers

KONGO

The plus of that is that if you take scribe scroll, you can use it with spells of your allies. Then you can cast them if they are on your list. If they aren't, use magic device will work and is a charisma based skill!

Your allies will appreciate craft wondorous item, it is a huge boost to upgrades.

Pretty easy. You put everything into the scroll, including extra costs. For instance, something that requires 500 gold to cast would make the scroll cost 500 more. Making it uses the spell up for a day. (So you have to cast it to make it)

Basically a scroll is a spell that's complete except for the "last step". A wave or word or whatever.

Knowing what spell is on it is a simple spell craft roll. Knowing how to trigger it is either having the spell on your list, even if you can't cast it yourself (such as a fireball throwing wizard finding lighting bolt) or having a use magic device check (like a rogue finding a scroll and using cleverness to use it)

Once cast, its done. Paper.

Now, here's the thing. A scroll is NOT a spell page. You can't find one and draw it into your book. A spell book is a series of steps, a scroll is an almost finished product. Its the difference between a recipe book and a dessert missing a strawberry on top.

As for wands? They are like scrolls but have up to 50 uses. But pretty much same thing.

Long story short it's a one time use object that you can cast if you either COULD know it (even if you don't its on your list) or guess howto with use magic device skill.

The costs to make it and the diff to activate it are all in book. I can help you there too if you need it.

• Like 1

Just did my first ever paper session yesterday. I revived the character name Bem Axis (DAMN YOU RUKI. He knows what he did. Or stopped doing.) as a Deva Cleric. Our party involved a Warlord, a Fighter, a Ranger, a Rogue and a late-arriving member that I never found out the class of. He was a hammer-wielding tank type though.

We're doing the Winterhaven campaign and we made bloody hard work of the Kobold Lair. The boss, Irontooth, knocked down our hammer-tank and our fighter who was doing mass AOE damage with some sort of sword-spinning attack. Which left myself, the Warlord, and two archers left against him, and I was out of heals. (I did have Astral Seal which would have helped but I had to close to melee range to protect the unconscious characters, so I couldn't expose myself like that.)

We were really struggling and it looekd like we might all go down, but then our Rogue realised she should start backstabbing, unleashed her daily power, rolled critical for maximum damage which really helped. Then just as it looked like he might kill myself and the Warlord in the same swing, Irontooth critical failed and killed itself. Glorious.

• Like 1

Death by fumbles? Get your bard to tell the story differently. Don't worry you still get all the money from inept deaths. Makes it all the more glorious. Grate on first game!

In pathfinder news.

I've learned that a bomb throwing alchemist can make an archer really jealous.

Would anybody be interested in an adventure writing "contest"/workshop? Basically just "write an adventure with at least X encounters for Y level characters." Could even do it to coincide with NaNoWriMo, if people would rather do this instead or alongside.

The plus of that is that if you take scribe scroll, you can use it with spells of your allies. Then you can cast them if they are on your list. If they aren't, use magic device will work and is a charisma based skill!

Your allies will appreciate craft wondorous item, it is a huge boost to upgrades

I didnt know I could use other party members spells, thats cool. Unfortunately I wont be crafting items, the wizard will be doing that for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should ask that I've been looking at a whip man for a while now as a bard character.

But in all honesty, unless you have a few of the right feats? Whips suck.

They won't injury people with armour or natural armour over the most basic amounts, they do crap damage and act like range weapons. This means they can't be used to attack without provoking attacks of opportunity.

With a few of the right feats though? I could make you a character that could swing and disarm everyone in a 20 foot radius, fearing them.

Second session in my most recent game. I feel like I played a lot better, but I contributed less by way of rolling no fewer than four critical fails, and having to use an encounter power just to stand up (well, I didn't *have* to, but I wanted to make sure my heals weren't affected by aim rolls and I never use Memory of 1000 Lifetimes aside from that).

There's been talk and rumblings of people around my work starting up a Pathfinder game, and for all intents and purposes I am in - but we just need a DM at this point.

I wasn't going to do it, I don't think I have a great imagination or the ability to learn systems all that quickly - but everyone encouraged me, including a guy who DM'd before by saying they think that having a guy like me play (HIGH CHARISMA STATS~!) would be good, since I'd keep the game moving and everyone entertained. So yay?