Pens and Papers

KONGO

Which feats would you suggest? I assume Improved Disarm.

And Improved Trip, and Combat Reflexes.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Youll find most players know their rules. Keep a note what applies to them and make sure it applies to baddies too.

Theres a set of cards Paizo makes that have all the status effects like stunned and bleed on them. You get the card if you get the effect. I suggest those to help know and keep track of things.

So far, Kong, I'm liking hobgoblin for the whips. Bonus to dex and con, (youll need at least 13 str for power attack feat which I'll explain)

It also means you can trade in their +4 sneak to know whips and get +1 to trip and disarm with them.

Then get a fighter. His high attack, feats, armour and specialized whip damage will make this a great combo. Then get a +1 "cruel" while and a high intimidate. Cruel allows you to sicken people that are scared, and gain HP when they die.

I'm still working it out but basically by 6th level I could get you a guy that could rip chunks of flesh out, intimidate them, and sicken them, and disarm them. All in a single attack and still allowing you to move away from them. You'd get to hit one and still disarm and do all the stuff to another. By the end of the round two people would be weaponless, shaken and sickened. No weapons, -4 to attack and skill checks and saves and -2 damage.

I'll get back to this but end result is yes. I do think you could make a whip guy scary.

Feats so far:

Power attack

Weapon finesse

Weapon focus

Cornugan smash

Demoralizing lash

Whip mastery

Serpents lash

• 2 months later...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/hirelings-servants-services

In Pathfinder, how much is it to get a healing spell from an NPC? I couldn't find it...so just charged 10gp per level 1.

If the spell was level one and so was the caster? You were dead on. Otherwise its caster level * spell level * 10 plus any expensive components. So asking for a level four scrying spell from a level 8 caster would be 320 plus materials if any.

All in the link.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/hirelings-servants-services

In Pathfinder, how much is it to get a healing spell from an NPC? I couldn't find it...so just charged 10gp per level 1.

If the spell was level one and so was the caster? You were dead on. Otherwise its caster level * spell level * 10 plus any expensive components. So asking for a level four scrying spell from a level 8 caster would be 320 plus materials if any.

All in the link.

Neato! I was using a level 5 caster (just to buff up the 'Cure Light Wounds' to a +5 instead of a +1)...but it was a church, and they were low level/poor. So I can justify the 10 gold per cast.

Quick! Get a diamond and someone with Raise Dead!

(Or is that a ritual in 4th ed?)

Speaking of critical fails, how do you treat them? I usually just pick something random (falling prone, getting a weapon stuck)....but I feel I could use some more consistency.

I wouldn't know. Ive only played bards in 4e. Healers, and con based to help give bonuses to shift around.

We got all the way to 24 I think before game ended. By the end I was giving someone 6 free attacks at +10 to hit and +15 to damage. Notbad given it wwasn't even their turn.

I think the only time I had to deal with a critical fail when I was DM was me just having the person's weapon slip out of their hand and land X squares away. Kind of nullified by another playing mentioning that magic weapons just go right back to the user or something. Other than hitting allies with the attack instead, I'd imagine it's not easy to be creative with critical fails.

Our DM usually damages allies as is appropriate for the attack, so when a ranged weapon fails anyone in LOS could potentially receive the attack - whereas a melee fail would be self-wound.

As for what i'm making next, i'm not really sure. I've rolled a Paladin that makes RP sense as my Cleric's brother but we did get my body back to town so maybe there's hope for revival.

Thrown off balance - fall prone.

Fumbled toss - shaken status for lost confidence

Leave an opening - defense reduction

Hail Mary - lose all other attacks

Sprained wrist - lessened attack for fight

Wrenched shoulder - lessened damage for fight

Glancing blow - weapon is damaged

Clutz - hit self

Sweaty palms - weapon falls behind you

Stumble - move back 10 feet

Helmet slips - blind for a turn

Just came up with these as I typed them. There ya go. A small list.

Shut up with your... ideas <_< I'll actually have to keep some of those in mind when I start my Avatar campaign (though having the elements to my advantage should actually prove to be useful for critical fail ideas). I don't make someone suffer for their first critical fail, but on the second one and on in a night I would try to come up with something.

As for "next characters", I think I'm going to talk to my DM about having my current Avenger either take a break or leave for good. Considering she's a follower of Levistus, leaving for good probably wouldn't be too hard. I ended up making a Longtooth Shifter Ranger the other day and I've wanted to try out a melee Ranger for a while now, among a Swordmage and Warlord. Ended up giving him two gauntlet handaxes and I'm just playing around with the idea of giving him a beast companion or not.

Making a critical hit/fumble table for this weeks coming game....what do you think? Too dangerous? Too safe? I don't want to be cutting off party member's body parts all willy nilly.

Critical Hit (roll a nat 20, then roll again, must match/beat AC)

1-20: Normal critical damage

21-40: Critical multiplier increased by 1

41-50: Normal crit damage, knock enemy’s weapon away 1d6 squares

51-60: Normal crit damage, knock enemy’s shield away 1d6 squares (or weapon, if no shield)

61-68: Normal crit damage, enemy speed reduced by half

69: Extra critical damage, enemy loses genitals (damaged beyond usability or cut off) (-1d4 CHA)

70-80: Normal crit damage, enemy is knocked prone

81-90: Normal crit damage, hit an artery (enemy takes 1 damage per turn until they receive magical healing or succeed a 15 DC Heal check)

91-92: Extra critical damage, enemy loses ear (damaged beyond usability or cut off) (-4 on perception for listen checks)

93-94: Extra critical damage, enemy loses fingers (damaged beyond usability or cut off) (-2 on attack roll)

95-96: Extra critical damage, enemy loses hand (damaged beyond usability or cut off) (-2 on damage roll, no duel wielding or shield holding)

97: Extra critical damage, enemy loses eye (damaged beyond usability or cut off) (-half perception skill, for search/spot and other such checks)

98: Extra critical damage, enemy loses arm (damaged beyond usability or cut off) (-4 on attack, -4 on damage, -half on all skills that require hands/arms)

99: Extra critical damage, enemy loses leg (damaged beyond usability or cut off) (knocked prone, speed reduced to 1 square per turn, -4 Dex, -half on all skills that require legs)

100: Extra critical damage, enemy suffers major brain damage (knocked unconscious, falls into a coma, can only be awoken with a restoration spell)

Critical Fumble (roll a nat 1, then roll again, missing AC)

1-20: Miss

21-30: Stumble and miss, -1 AC for a turn

31-35: Stub toe and miss, half speed until end of next turn

36-40: Bash fingers and miss, -2 to attack and damage until end of next turn

41-45: Miss, trip and fall prone

46-50: Mishandle weapon, falls to the ground (use a move action to pick it up, provokes AoO)

51-60: Weapon gets stuck, DC 15 STR to free it

61-68: Lose grip of weapon, flies 1d6 spaces in random direction

69: Hit self in crotch (half damage + nauseated)

70-75: Weapon damaged (-1 to attack/damage rolls)

76-80: Weapon broken (-2 to attack/damage rolls, costs 1/10th to fix, or a DC 20 craft check)

81-85: Poked self in the eye (blinded until end of next turn)

86-90: Fall prone and hit head (dazed until end of next turn)

91-95: Weapon is destroyed (unusable, can be repaired for 3/4th the cost)

96-97: Hit self

98-99: Hit ally

100: Hit self for critical damage