Pens and Papers

KONGO

• 3 weeks later...

So, starting nexrt week (maybe?) I'm going to be sitting down for my first "in person" session.

We have a lot of beginners so the DM is going to go with D&D 4E which doesn't really bother me all that much. I've been thinking and looking over stuff all day and I think I'm going to end up making either a Dragonborn or Dwarf Barbarian, although it's likely going to be a Dragonborn going the Thanborn route.

I've been using this as a guide:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2702501

For the most part and I'm really getting into the idea. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember we fought one of those in 3.5, and our dragon shaman was immune to paralysis. Since its too dumb to stop fighting it became a war or patience as the rest of us slowly woke out of paralysis while he tanked it.

In the end it was a very anticlimactic battle.

I am working hard on changing the dragon shaman over to pathfinder. They as the spell thief were two excellent additions to classes.

• 3 weeks later...

We made a draconic fire based sorc that was a seeker (basically can open locks and traps like a rogue) that did pretty well. Adding your level (to the max cap per die) to fire spells was great. So, a sixth level one could add +5 damage to burning hands, since burning hands caps out at 5 dice. When casting fireball (a cap of 10) he would add +6.

Since we were 12 at the time, it was pretty decent. That's like adding an extra couple d6 to damage.

Then we went school focus evocation, and greater. Then elemental focus fire and greater for his feats. Adding +4 DC made it really clear he was going to burn people.

Added in fire spells and divination spells, invisiblity and Knock and had a pretty great sneaky burner.

What do you think you'll do with yours, Ruki?

We were talking about setting up another game that he could play in with some of our other co-workers but nothing came of that - he also buys a lot of board/card games and wants to move on to them. So there's that too I guess.

I would've never thought that I could DM before - but after watching him doing it and learning some of the mechanics, I started thinking about how I'd probably actually like to do it. I seem to thrive in situations where I get to tell a story and have all the attention on me.. and after seeing how most of them were too nervous/shy about roleplaying their characters I figure that I could goad them along easier than our current DM could. Only thing holding me back is lack of knowledge regarding the game as a whole. I think it's something I am for sure going to end up doing at some point though.

Yeah, Apsham! DM! I had little to no experience (and even less in the actual system) but I am doing pretty alright. And lack of knowledge isn't really that big an issue...read the rules, and you're good for the first few levels. In my spare time, I read the Pathfinder reddit board and the Paizo message boards, just to see what people are talking about and get a better understanding of the game.

As for my Sorc....pretty sure I am gonna be getting fire based spells. The feats I took are Elemental Focus and metamagic feat that makes spells deal non-lethal damage.

Interesting combo, Ruki. Going nonlethal is not a common thing I see.

Apsham, I suggest finding a premade adventure. You'll have all the rules set for you, and that leaves you to flush out the conversation with your own flavour. You can pick up any for just a buck or two.

Just read through them and know what's coming up. Players hate when the flow is disrupted because you didn't read ahead to know what's coming up.

Let some writer make the bones, you flesh it out. After your first game, you'll be saying "I can do better" and you'll be right.