Pens and Papers

KONGO

Yeah, I want to go non-killy for RP reasons. I think it will be fun! I am going to Burning Hands people into unconsciousness.

(I WANTED to play a Witch who would use the Sleep Hex on everyone...but we were limited to the core rules/races)

Tragic, my mains a witch right now. Level 13 and having a blast. Some of the best buffing/debuffing.

There's a paladin that really goes for mercy damage, some rogues are insane at knocking people out (double sneak attack damage). Monks too.

If they want to follow your lead point out "merciful" weapons. +1d6 damage and all damage is nonlethal. Add in "vicious" does 2d6 but 1d6 to you... Basically 3d6 nonlethal for 1d6 nonlethal back.

Would be interesting to see that play out.

So, I was playing out a scenario in my head and I just wanted to make sure that this was rule legal.

Let's say I have a person using a long spear and he readies his action (condition being he unleashes his attack once someone steps into range). If his enemy were to get into melee range (5 feet), would the spear wielder get two attacks (ready action + AoO due to the enemy entering/exiting threatened range)?

ALSO! Moving through threatened squares....

1 2 3

4 C 5

6 7 8

Let's say C is the character, and the numbers are the spaces that it threatens. If an enemy were to move from 3 to 5 (not using a 5 foot step), that would provoke an attack, correct?

Yes and Yes.

He would get an attack the moment the person entered his area (and indeed do extra damage if he braced the weapon vs a charge) and again once the person tried to leave that square,

and in the second example, the person is moving through a threatened square and not making a full retreat action or 5 foot move (in your example it isn't a five foot move, so I am assuming he is just moving along a person) he gets an attack for free.

However, as you can guess, in your second example, if the person was holding a reach weapon like a long spear and the person moved like that, he woudnt get an attack with it as it is a reach weapon. He could still punch the guy, with sets off its own set of wackiness.

Cool, thanks!

Thinking of being mean to my players and throwing a fighter at them who uses a spear, gets the ready attack + AoO, and when they are in range, drop the spear and draw a long sword.

• 4 weeks later...

Played Pathfinder twice this weekend...and wow.

First, I almost killed my first player (decided to throw an ogre and two ogrekin at 5 level 3s....the ninja took 21 damage, had 20HP).

Second, holy shit....they literally blew up the plot. Rather than confront a suspicious group in a now-ghost town, the party blew up the entire town. Did 27 damage to the Barbarian with that explosion.

• Like 1

I hate having to decide on times to have a session sometimes. I prefer having all three players around, but it's tough when one of them isn't able to and it means postponing when it would mean not having another session for a couple weeks. Doesn't help that when I tried postponing again last week, another player made a comment about how "oh it's up to them then?" despite the fact I also postpone game if he's not available. Thankfully I only have a couple more sessions planned before taking a short break with my campaign.

• Like 1

Second, holy shit....they literally blew up the plot. Rather than confront a suspicious group in a now-ghost town, the party blew up the entire town. Did 27 damage to the Barbarian with that explosion.

That's always an efficient way to deal with problems :shifty: .

I've been running a D&D game for a little while, just thought I would share a few moments that have happened and see if any of you can think of any improvements I can make. This may be a little lengthy.

Party: Human Paladin, Dwarf Fighter, Tiefling Wizard. Playing 4E

The players started off stumbling upon a town called Melford (they decided their backstory was that they got blackout drunk and this was the next town they found) whereupon they got pretty settled and then a murder occurred and they were recruited to deal with finding the culprit. This would have been SUPER easy, had they checked the murdered guys room. No, they went around a backwards ass way, chased a supernatural person down and nearly got themselves killed a bunch of times. After finally convicting the murderer, they inherited a bee shop and became beekeepers for a short while. They also cleared a whole nest of spiders and battled with some zombies in a creepy building within this town.

Feeling their time at the town was up, I sent a plot device in the form of a letter to a former NPC turned PC guard the others had collected for a new player who was just used a meatshield for hire previously. The letter beckoned them to Fallcrest through the swampy marshland, where they spotted the supernatural person from before. A players arm was torn out by the wildlife in the swamp, then they found a new arm (Vecna's Hand) and used this as a replacement. The person they were chasing was consumed by a living wall. From another living wall, the group freed a few Kobolds.

One of the Kobolds claimed to be of nobility, after a 20 roll to attempt some diplomacy and my players have started to factor peace talks between Kobolds and other races. The players believed his story and were led to Kobold Hall Mansion, which belonged to the Lord Kobold. He tasked them with clearing it as it had become filled with cultists in his absence. They found the dragon, and murdered it using Vecna's Hand, but this also triggered something that started flooding the place, so they hastily left.

Upon reaching Fallcrest, they then went to see one of the player's family, which was where the letter came from and found his house to be enchanted. They went to seek out the ghost of the family members wife, who had been spotted. They climbed a rickety tower, which was set on fire, flung sharks around and generally fucked the place up. They erased some ritual circles, freeing the ghost's spirit and lifting some enchantments. The tower mysteriously reconstructed itself after collapsing in to the river.

Upon returning to the main town, they were jumped upon by thugs, who ripped out Vecna's Hand/Arm from the player with it. Later, this was replaced with a normal arm by the Kobold Lord, when he rushed to their aid at a battle against a zombie dragon (being the same one from the Mansion, zombified).

Now they've had to head back off to the Mansion and the floor crumbled beneath them, submerging them in deep water. Fortunately they had a water breathing spell. They've battled a few things, but the most interesting thing was when I threw a Gelatinous Cube in there. It stunned and attempted to dissolve a new player, Tiefling Rogue. Things looked pretty bad, then the Tiefling Wizard pulled off an amazing feat, with a natural 20 of reaching in with his staff, rescuing the player and blasting it back and almost killing it. They've seen some odd messages, which will lead them to one of the Vecna cult leaders and they'll get a better idea about what's going on in the campaign.

tl;dr Lots of stuff happened in D&D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I finally had an encounter that was just too OP, or designed to take far too long.

Basically, I wanted the encounter to be in a darkened room (they had a Firebender, so I had planned on taking him out to keep it dark after that), against one guy who not only surrounded himself in rock to look like a statue, but also created three other statues as well. I wanted it to be a battle slash puzzle of trying to figure out which was the real one (by having the real guy make a free attack if he wasn't attacked during an entire round, and having the statues charge and deal massive damage and immediately crumble).

Problem I think ended up being that I had each statue not be a minion, and I gave the actual guy way too many hit points (it didn't help that they really only attacked the other three to begin with). I thought it would end up being an interesting encounter, but it ended up being executed poorly on my part. The potential little side plot to keep them busy probably won't go through because I just don't think one of the players even cares about doing side stuff and just wants to not interact with NPC's at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an offer to join a 5e campaign on Sundays, sadly, I am busy :(

Also, posted a Deck Of Minor things I made on the Pathfinder reddit page, people seemed positive about it! Only criticism was that most of the negative results were permanent, while most of the positives were temporary.

Because I don't have enough gaming in my life, I am going to be DMing a second, regular (hopefully bi-weekly) Pathfinder game. Same world as my first, just a few hundreds years in the past.

Have a Cavalier (woo mounted combat?), sorcerer, cleric, and a Oread monk named Balboa....because he punches, and his skin is a little rocky....

• 3 weeks later...