Pens and Papers

KONGO

So, I'm making two players go off on a little duo adventure to do some team building (and to get one of the characters doing things....because just sitting around not interacting with things is stupid and makes me hate your character).....what are some ideas you guys have for duo-based puzzles/combat and such? Something to make them really work together.

• 1 month later...

So the group I was in kind of ended. We hadn't done anything at all since my Avatar campaign ended several months ago, and since I moved to a new state I don't see anything happening.

Has anyone on here thought of doing a 5e campaign? I've wanted to try 5e but have nobody to really do that with. Or has anyone actually played 5e and have any thoughts?

5th ed is simplified 3rd ed essentially. They try to remove the math of 3rd but distance themselves from what 4th ed was doing.

Myself I'm sticking with pathfinder. We have our 4th session coming up. Last session was hilarious as they are whipped if they fail a task and the one player got like...12 coming to him. At one point I realize he needs to tell me his hp total so I say "please keep a note on the" and he interrupted me and screams "No! You keep a record how much you need to whip me! I'm not going to wake up and remind them they still gotta beat my ass!"

We all laughed. The fact we were playing at a comic shop with 30 other people there made it awesome.

• Like 1

I need brainstorming! Copy and pasted an e-mail I sent to my friend:

The major thing that happened in the last game? The party got this magic item to The Duke: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/suzerain-scepter . So, basically making him a ‘better’ leader. Also, the monk is in the process of woo’ing the Duke’s daughter.

Now, what I want to happen…either the party helps the Duke gain complete, and utter control over the city (which isn’t too far off, since the rebel group leaders were just murdered….maybe the remaining lower members put together enough money to hire a necromancer to help them out…but the necromancer ends up just unleashing a huge undead horde on the city? But either way, I want to bring back a character, Julian Quickfoot…was a messenger for the alliance who met the party)……………..or somehow overthrow/kill him. Perhaps have the Duke attempt to kill the monk for making advances on his daughter? Either way, here is the important people around the Duke (bolded is who the party has befriended/put into the position of power)

-Two sons and a daughter (Ramum (optimistic + naïve), Razo (bold loyal, noble district), Roslyn (cheerful, considerate))

-Wife (Helena) (boring) and a mistress (Fiora) (Violent and foolish)

-Guard chief (Dynar the Drow) (domineering) + 5 guard captains (Baga (unkind, the warden)), Catlyn (loyal, friendly, docks), Arthund (cowardly, residential), Sybel (devious, ambitious, market district)), Razo (bold loyal, noble district)

-Head chef (Bowman McLongsword) (humble)

-Food tester (Hinik) (Dull-witted, rebellious, innocent)

-Historian (Drulia) (weak willed, narrow minded, humorless)

-Personal Assistant (Camllar) (cruel, dishonest) (secretly an assassin for the duke)

Nevermind! It took a few hours, but I've put something together, sorta.

In the last game, I had given the party three letters (bloody with three names crossed out)...and the monk went and took them out. I was originally gonna have these letters be from someone under the Duke, but I've decided to have it come from a third party! A succubus who is looking to create as much ruin and destruction as possible in town. Gonna have her give the monk the profane gift, and have the party kidnap the Duke's daughter and hold her ransom (but end up killing her anyways). I also want to have the Succubus give each individual party members a special job, ideally something to help spread chaos...and I'm looking for ideas on that.

I have a martial artist who likes to flip tables and punch things (and has taken on an assassin type role), a cavalier who likes to fight and is all about honor and money (maybe have her rob a nobleman to help fund the 'cause'?), an arcanist who is a goody-goody, and a diplomatic heal-bot Cleric (who should receive a SUPER dangerous job that may or may not end up in death).

Also, totally still gonna have the necromancer show up.

Ended up ordering the 5e player's handbook, a DM screen, and the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure because fuck it. From the sounds of it, 5e is a lot more simplified which I like (having to calculate bonuses and penalties in the middle of combat so much ended up becoming a time waster, so the new advantage/disadvantage mechanic I look forward to seeing in action).

Mainly want to run through it would a couple people I know, but once I get more comfortable I may want to try DMing it on Roll20 or something. And then I can see about trying to make an Avatar campaign work in 5e somehow.

So I just got the stuff I ordered today (Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Players Handbook, and DM Screen) and first impressions are:

1) The DM Screen is beautiful. I love the artwork on the outside (typical party fighting a dragon), but the inside is really nice. Compared to the one we had in 4e, it's just nicely laid out. The little artwork is a great touch (especially the artwork next to the condition descriptions), but also the NPC generator panel + random event table I think can be quite handy for some DMs.

and 2) thus far the classes look good. I really like that feats are a lot less now and are optional in place of the ability score improvement, because there were just way too many feats by the end of 4e (and ones that shouldn't have been feats what with some of the things in 5e, like just being able to draw a weapon for free). I've only skimmed through Barbarian, Bard, and Cleric, but they look neat. I'm sure it would take some getting used to no powers like in 4e, but I'm looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't really a pen and paper game, but it is a TABLETOP game, so I figure this is the best place to post about it.

Has anyone else tried/discovered Dice Masters? There are currently sets for Marvel, D&D and Yu-Gi-Oh, with a DC set coming out sometime this month. The girlfriend and I have been playing a ton, and we're having a blast. Closest thing to HeroClix I have found without having to spend hundreds and hundreds just to have the best units. In Dice Masters, many of the best units are common/uncommon.

Anyway, you try it?

• 2 weeks later...

So....last night I killed my first player ever.

The party was hired to do a job for a succubus (in disguise, of course), gave the party monk the profane gift. Once the job was complete, she took it away and applied the 2d6 Cha drain....it left him with exactly 1 Charisma. He couldn't communicate to the party and ran off to fight the succubus alone while the rest of the party scattered.

A level 5 monk vs one succubus? Combat lasted exactly one round. Dominate person. Poor guy :(

• 3 weeks later...