The Cycling Thread

Adam

My second favourite One Day Race is this weekend. My favourite being Flanders last week which Cancellara won after a very good last 4 kilometres between the lead group.

Anyway, as usual, I'm really hoping that Boonen can win Paris-Roubaix again this year. He's not been at 100% but has improved each week after taking time off for his wife's tragic miscarriage. If he got the win on Sunday I think I'd end up in tears or something pathetic.

• 2 months later...

It's amusing me that Sagan keeps "missing out" on stage wins.

The truth is, he's not one of the fastest pure sprinters. He's also not one of the very very strongest "rouleurs" or "puncheurs".

What he is, is in the top half dozen at all of them. This means that he'll always win the green jersey because he'll pick up top 10s on any stage other than mountains. Where his success comes is that because he's such an all-rounder he can get over the hills that Kittel, Cavendish, Greipel and the pure sprinters can't, but he can also mix it in the sprints when guys like Gerrans, Trentin, Van Avermaet etc can't.

He can also ride cobbles (albeit not quite as well as Boonen, Cancellara, Boom or a number of the tough Belgian riders). He's probably as close to a legitimate all-rounder that cycling has had in ages.

Maybe a top 20 guy but I don't think he has the right body (even with Wiggins-style dieting) to be one of the very best climbers. His time trialling isn't the best either.

He'll make a better career (and get more wins) by doing what he does. Also means he can mix it in the classics as well as the Tour.

Let's all play "Who's likely to be doping at the 2010 Tour de France" with the help of hindsight.

BsWclOHIgAAC6WW.jpg

I say this because Denis Menchov has just had his Tour results from 2009 onwards stripped from him for doping. Shame, I always quite liked him as a rider. His 2009 Giro d'Italia win (Giro happens before the Tour in the calendar year) has not been stripped.

Some of these from the UCI are utterly ridiculous though. No way Millar would be doping again. Samuel Sanchez (famously clean) and Bernie Eisel as likely as Armstrong (who was later proven to be...well, evil). Mwahaha.

Nothing ever to suggest Geraint Thomas. Tony Martin appears very clean too.

• 2 weeks later...

In no surprise whatsoever, Marianne Vos won the first edition of La Course, the female "tour de france", even though it's just a one stage race.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
Cadel Evans, the only Australian to win the Tour de France, announces he will retire next February.
The 37-year-old, who won the Tour in 2011, said he would quit after the Tour Down Under and the inaugural Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road one-day race on 1 February.
"The chance of winning another Grand Tour is probably past me, something I have to accept. Now is a good time to say stop," said Evans, also twice runner-up on the Tour in 2007 and 2008.
"I knew I'd not be racing at 40, I had it in my mind that I'd never want to race at the high level at 40. I knew that it'd be before 40 years old that I'd stop, and now I'm at that period."

• 7 months later...
  • Admin

Really bad crash in the Giro d'Italia, apparently: Domenico Pozzovivo fell heavily on a descent at the Giro D'Italia and is receiving medical attention.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Admin

British Cycling technical director Shane Sutton has been suspended amid an investigation into discrimination allegations.

It follows a report in the Daily Mail that claimed Sutton made derogatory comments about Para-cyclists.

Cyclist Jess Varnish previously said Sutton made sexist comments towards her and told her to "go and have a baby".

The 25-year-old said she spoke out against Australian Sutton, 58, to change attitudes at British Cycling.