Football Manager 2014

Dan

I managed it with a 4-1DM-2-2AM-1 with wide attacking mid, but the variance in the Championship style makes it hard to gauge from match to match. Oddly, they seem most susceptible to a basic 4-4-2 formation if the former doesn't work (in fact, about 75% of my scout reports suggested using it, but I scored more using my own formation).

I managed it with a 4-1DM-2-2AM-1 with wide attacking mid, but the variance in the Championship style makes it hard to gauge from match to match. Oddly, they seem most susceptible to a basic 4-4-2 formation if the former doesn't work (in fact, about 75% of my scout reports suggested using it, but I scored more using my own formation).

I always try to play without wingers but whenever I do, I get trounced.

I spent a season at Leeds, won the Championship, left for AC Milan, they got relegated straight away (Leeds, not Milan, we won the league), spent a season at Milan, went back to relegated Leeds, won the title again, left for Feyenoord, and Leeds went straight back down. (Albeit in 19th instead of 20th place this time).

I've set myself a challenge on FM12. I took over Bristol City who were bottom in January 2012 and I am aiming to get them safe by the end of the season. If I don't do it I will resign. As part of my plan I have signed Hernan Crespo.

So far I've managed to get them from 24th in January and about 6 points off of 23rd to 22nd in March and 3 points off of safety.

How many goals by Crespo?

Whereas I have decided to start a game with Liverpool, as Robbie Fowler, signing the old boys with Carragher, Beardsley, Owen, Danny Murphy and Dietmar Hamann.

I'm suffering from the old "opposing keepers having a blinder" syndrome. Lost away at Southampton and West Ham after missing at least 6 clear chances in each game.

Opposition keepers at least 9 rated in both games. Frustrating.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Tried Forest again.

Tried 4-1-2-1-2, 4-4-2 and 4-5-1. 10 games played, lost every single match. This is bullshit.

You've switched formation three times in ten matches.

What do you expect Pardew?

• Like 1

How many goals by Crespo?

Averaging about a goal a game. Getting injured a lot though. 40 games played and still four points from safety.

• Like 1

I really wish I could get into a non-league game. I've started at Stockport way too many times (they're the only club without a manager), and just find myself steamrolling 90% of teams, but I just can't seem to care. Also, my board never gives me a parent team, which would massively help with budgets and expanding the small squads.

I went up as champions in my first season with Rovers, and I didn't tinker much at all.

Okay, sure, I won it on goal differance but still I did it. >_>

That's not exactly hard, Rovers are waaaay OP in FM 2014 :P

Tried Forest again.

Tried 4-1-2-1-2, 4-4-2 and 4-5-1. 10 games played, lost every single match. This is bullshit.

Stop changing formation, start tinkering with tactics. Opposition running straight through middle of your defence? Play deeper. Players constantly giving away the ball in passes? Try playing shorter passing. Can't seem to get close range shots? Pump the ball into the box. Most of the time the issue isn't the formation - it's what you're doing with it (though it doesn't hurt to have a "back up" tactic ready). Think about it - how often do you watch a football match where your team is struggling and think "I wish they'd change formation"? Answer - you don't. What you think is "they need to keep to the wings", or "their passing isn't working", or "man, if they don't try going full force on some tackles they'll never gain posession".

Also, if you aren't playing people to specific roles and just keeping their standard roles, (IE: Central Mid, Full Back, Advanced Forward etc) then go with higher fluidity, it allows players to move about the pitch more (and obviously, if you have specific roles then switch to a more rigid style, but I find teams often get found out too fast the more rigid you play).