**SPOILERS!** A Thread of Ice And Fire: A Game of Thrones book discussion thread **SPOILERS**

Something that has always bugged me is the planet itself. How is it that seasons can last years?

An elliptical orbit around the sun that means the planet is further away during the winter than the summer.

• Like 3

Man, is it even possible to pick a true side? It's not clear who is good, who is bad (in the grand scheme of things). Even the best characters could be fighting on the wrong side of this war. Personally, I think I want to see Aegon (if it is him..) on the throne, with Connington by his side. Not sure why. Could see it end up being Dany & Jon, though. Fire & Ice.

I have characters I root for over others, though.. Jon Snow an obvious favourite, the Blackfish is brilliant. I like/d the Hound, too. Beric was one of my favourites.

Pretty sure there's only two people who are playing the Game of Thrones, Varys and Littlefinger.

I'm starting to read the books now so I can join this crowd. I prefer it to what I was going to do, read articles on A Wiki of Ice and Fire and piece the story together myself.

I really hope it ends up being Jon and Dany on the throne, it'd be nice for something that people actually want to happen for once, and the climax is a good a time as any to give it to them. Even though it kind of goes against the spirit of the books, I guess.

Also, this is nothing to do with the war, but Tyrion ending up with Casterly Rock in the end would be aces.

• Like 1

Tyrion would get Casterly Rock if Dany wins the war. Jaime doesn't want them it would seem, and no Targaryen would ever give him anything anyway.

I've been trying to deduce whether the Ice & Fire is to be Jon vs. Dany or Jon and Dany.

Also, I'm pretty sure Aegon is not really Aegon and that will get revealed at some point. But more important than anything in book 6 will be the impending invasion of the White Walkers. Get ready folks!

Yeah, the White Walkers invasion, while is going to be a major part (GRMM has stated that we'll be going further North than we've ever been before), is probably the least interesting thing that I want to read about. What's going to happen to Daenerys and Drogon, Sansa's future berothal to Harrold Hardyng, Arya's apprenticeship and well, Jon Snow's situation is about a 100 times more interesting. To tell you the truth, I'd rather we go further east, past Qarth, than go North. The North's boring, guys.

I just came to to this realization. Jorah Mormont was banished by Eddard Stark. Jeor passed the Mormont family sword Longclaw to his protege, Jon Snow. Jon Snow and Dany are going to end up meeting at some point, and I don't think Jorah is going to take to kindly to Jon.

I just came to to this realization. Jorah Mormont was banished by Eddard Stark. Jeor passed the Mormont family sword Longclaw to his protege, Jon Snow. Jon Snow and Dany are going to end up meeting at some point, and I don't think Jorah is going to take to kindly to Jon.

Could happen. Jorah would have to get back in Dany's good graces first. There are some characters that should meet but don't, at least not yet.

Lol, that's the first thing that came to my mind when Jon got Longclaw.

Does anyone have any theory why Brienne was kept alive by the Brotherhood? Mine's that when she shouted "Sword!" Stoneheart realized it was Ice (well, a part of it) and kept her alive because of it. Although most say it's because she chose sword over noose.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking that somehow, Brienne dies somehow and Arya somehow ends up with Oathkeeper, therefore getting a piece of Ice back. I'd like that, at least. Ice being melted down really sucked for me.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

• 2 months later...

Just finished the books the other day. Totally never caught on to the idea of Aegon not actually being Aegon (though, if that's true, why would Varys lie to Kevan in his last moments? I get that he's Mr. Secret Keeper, but it seems like he wouldn't need to keep up the charade at that point).

At this point, it's hard to say who I vote for. I feel kind of bad for Tommen, no way does he keep the throne. He's either being killed or jailed, if not discovered as a pretender and locked away. I was pretty strongly behind Stannis until it became totally obvious that he's not Azor Ahai. I'm not buying that he got slaughtered by the Bolton army, though. What the fuck actually happened, I have no idea, but I just don't see his army being crushed quite like that. If anyone I'd like to see Jon rise up and become some kind of leader, but seeing as he's very possibly dead, it seems unlikely. It wouldn't be the first time a character has appeared totally murdered and then turned out to not be, though (Tyrion). I do think that Dany is going to end up dying rather than taking the throne. Probably in some sacrifice, I imagine.

I was super bored with Bran's storyline, but fuck, does anyone else think that the guys he's with are totally the bad guys? I get the feeling he's being tricked into something fucking horrible. Like, harnessing his powers is going to result in waking up the Champion of the Night or whatever.

Ser Robert Strong is totally FrankenGregor. It didn't occur to me until reading the theories that Sandor isn't dead that he could be the one to kill him, but I kinda doubt it. Sandor's death IS kind of unclear enough that it's possible, but at the same time, I'm not sure I really see it. More likely FrankenGregor cuts down Lancel Lannister and Cersei, judged well by The Faith, gets some power back. Then she goes fucking crazier and we see her set about a slow destruction of the realm whilst shit starts to hit the fan everywhere else, with The Others attacking with no Nights Watch to hold them back, Aegon coming down on them, Dorne rebelling, maybe even Tyrell's going for a power play.

Lastly, I seriously hope that Dany gets the fuck back to Westeros before the end of Winds of Winter. It's been such a huge build to her going, it'll suck it we only even see her there for one book, if she even makes it. I'm hoping what we see is her somehow bringing the Khalasar of Jhaqo under her control, fucking wrecking what forces are left of Yunkai and then leaving Mereen, maybe just flat out destroying the city. She seems much less forgiving in the last chapter and I wouldn't put it past her, after her previous experiences in Mereen (doesn't she say something like, you can't make bad men good or something to that effect?), to just decide it's beyond saving. Just think: she rides down on Drogon, leading a Khalasar down on the remaining sellswords. I'd be shocked if they didn't turn to her side there and then. Then hopefully she makes her way to Westeros by about midway through the book, just as everything starts to kick off elsewhere. Hopefully with Tyrion as one of her commanders and Jorah alongside her. She marches through Volantis, sails to Dorne and god knows where from then.

That totally leaves out what the fuck happens with Euron Greyjoy. I have no idea where that's going. Seems to big a plot piece to just die trying to take Dany, but I don't see him playing a large part in everything unless he's satisfied with Dany letting him take whatever he wants of The Free Cities and The Reach in exchange for becoming a vassal of hers. I was reading the wiki about Krakens in the lore and it occurred to me that there were reports of them pulling under ships in the books. I wonder if we'll see one? Kind of seems a fun way to kill of Victarion Greyjoy.

• 4 months later...

Spoilers ahoy!

Talk of a "controversial" chapter in Winds of Winter.

There's sooo much to speculate about there. I just hope it's controversial in a good way, not controversial in a "Red Wedding" way.

Yeah, I heard about that. I'm starting to wonder if she's going to use Littlefinger as a means to her own end. He's already teaching her everything she knows. I kind of figured the controversial thing would be her fucking him, but that seems kind of tame thinking about it. Killing off Robin Arryn is a good guess, getting some blood on her hands to take back The North. It's hard to think of something controversial for Ice and Fire, though. It's like It's Always Sunny - they'd have to try really hard to shock me now. Especially post-Jon's potential end.

Also, any new word on Winds of Winter release? Last I heard it was this year. I mean I doubted it at the time, but the doubt grows even larger the longer we go without word. :P