(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

Toronto is fucked this year. Our division got bolstered, and we haven't really done much. We need another big name.

The big difference for the Leafs is going to be that all of their young guys have the playoff experience and the hunger for it now. You really can't underestimate how much of a difference that makes. It's huge. Bigger than any free agent that was available.

On top of that, they now have more size and grit on the wing, while still providing a scoring touch in David Clarkson.

They got rid of a guy that didn't want to be there, and locked up one that does.

The Leafs are a better team than they finished the season as. I think they're a contender for a 2/3 spot in their conference.

Yeah, I agree with your points there. Our guys do now have playoff experience, and they proved that for the most part, they could hang in there. I never liked Grabovski, so I'm happy he's gone. but Clarkson, I think Grabo outperforms him in terms of numbers. I'm hoping they make the playoffs again, I want to see it. But with Ottawa/Detroit getting better, and Boston being the powerhouse they always have been, I'm not sure it can be done. We'll easily finish ahead of the Sabres/Lightning/Panthers though. The Habs got better too, with Briere. I don't know, we'll have to see where the season goes. I'm still a die hard Leafs fan, though. No matter what.

The Canadiens didn't address any real issues of need. They plugged a hole with George Parros. They signed ANOTHER small forward in Briere. There are still too many holes to consider the Habs a threat.

You can argue that Ottawa is about where they were. Sure, they got more skill, but they lost their leader. That's going to have an affect on the team. More than that, they leaned very heavily on Craig Anderson last season. Can he keep it up?

Detroit is in a position where they are still a very good team, but they relied too heavily on a core group of older players. When they started retiring, you could really see just what they meant to the team. I don't think they're the same team. I think they're good, no doubt, but there's something that they just haven't been able to replace.

I think the top 3 is made up of Toronto, Detroit and Boston. The Sabres and Panthers are going to make up the bottom pairing in that conference. So Montreal, Tampa Bay and Ottawa are where I see the real battle, with there being only one playoff spot for the three of them to fight over.

Of course, that's all barring any major injuries, signings or trades that happen between now and the end of the year... but I believe strongly that a playoff spot is Toronto's to lose next year.

My only concern is goaltending. Hopefully Reimer continues not to let the constant attempts to bring in a "legitimate" "number 1" get to him, and continues to improve. Barring that, hopefully Bernier is the goalie that all the people who are high on him think he is. I also don't think the Leafs are done.

My only concern is goaltending. Hopefully Reimer continues not to let the constant attempts to bring in a "legitimate" "number 1" get to him, and continues to improve. Barring that, hopefully Bernier is the goalie that all the people who are high on him think he is. I also don't think the Leafs are done signing.

Jonathan Bernier signed a 2 year deal with the Leafs for $2.9 per season.

I feel like, if he takes the reigns from Reimer, that's going to open up the market at the deadline for the Leafs to move Reimer to fill any holes they may have going into the post-season. If Reimer holds his ground, then they have a really good backup in Bernier for 2 years before he moves on.