What bands do you hate?

METALMAN

I can't stand that Bastille lot that you hear all the time at the moment. It's bland humourless pap for people with bland humourless lives. They make Coldplay seem exciting.

I really tried racking my brains for something a bit more substantial to talk about, and it's hard. There are a lot of bands I dislike, but I can still think of the odd song I like, so I don't really hate them.

I guess Radiohead come close. I loathe Thom Yorke. He is like a petulant, self-obsessed 15 year old boy. He makes unironic references to "the man". But despite that, he's knocked out a couple of decent tunes. Not many, mind you, but In Rainbows is decent.

Even Beyonce, the devil incarnate, has her Sweet Dreams.

Eminem is dreadfully shit - but even he has had a couple of good songs.

I might just have to stick to Bastille here. Help me!

We listened to some Eminem at a recent TGIF thing with Maxx. It is hilariously dated. My grandkids are going to have all kinds of questions that I am not prepared to answer, like "Grandawesome (which is what they will call me), why does this man insist that 'radio won't even play his jams' despite the fact that his songs were frequently on the top of radio airplay charts, and also what's a radio and what's airplay?"

Also, fuck Muse.

• Like 4

There aren't a lot that I flat-out hate but Muse after 2003 is definitely one of them. Nickelback, of course. Other than that, a lot of Top 40 like Pitbull, etc. (though pop music has been pretty damn good the past few years, all things considered).

Other than that, I pretty much kind of roll my eyes whenever one of my high school friends continue to post about shit like Trivium and stuff like that but I wouldn't say I hate those bands because that's what I used to listen to when I was an angsty teen.

Radiohead come really, really close for me. I hate Thom Yorke's voice, and I hate that he seems to have absolutely no fucking sense of humour whatsoever, and I hate that his band produce "experimental" music for people who have never heard experimental music before.

I also hate The Killers. They're absolute fucking bollocks.

• Like 4

After having finally listened to most of Radiohead's discography I think my opinion boils down to "The Bends was really good and then every album after that is progressively less good," which seems to directly correlate to the frequency of Thom Yorke just squealing instead of actually singing words.

I do fucking love their "Nobody Does It Better" cover, though. That's the one time that I think his style of singing really hits the mark.

I'm pretty indifferent towards Radiohead. There's a few songs of their's that I like but for the most part, they don't interest me. I wouldn't say I hate them, though.

Thom Yorke definitely comes across like a douche, though.

"Nobody Does It Better" is genuinely great. And his mock-Bryan Ferry vocals on the Venus In Furs stuff from the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack is great, though possibly coloured by my love of that soundtrack through proxy of kind of knowing people involved, but it's ten times more fun than anything Radiohead ever did.

That said, their pre-Radiohead cover of "Rhinestone Cowboy" is fucking hilarious, as is the video for "Pop Is Dead", particularly when played to po-faced "best band ever" Radiohead fans.

The Gaslight Anthem are so fucking boring.

This so much. I saw them once, only because I was there for Murder By Death. Murder By Death plays this fucking amazing set, one of the best performances I've ever seen and then Gaslight Anthem comes out and just stinks the joint up. Blech.

I agree with Radiohead and Metallica.

Phish is a big one for me, and seriously, all of my friends back home love them. Like, they are the type of hippies that will drive hundreds of miles to see them. I just can't stand Phish, it's just such banal jam band shit. They're all great musicians but to hell with them. I think for some reason I dislike them because of a picture of them I saw on a calender...they just looked like these smarmy aging hippie fucks.

And U2.

• Like 1