What bands do you hate?

METALMAN

I'm allowed to hate John Lennon, right?

The only Beatle you're not allowed to hate is Ringo Starr.

Although that's only because of Thomas the Tank Engine.

I remember seeing Slipknot at Leeds festival about ten years ago in the afternoon on the main stage. We were wandering so were way back up the old hill, and you could see this visible line where the first fifteen to twenty rows were going mental, and the other 80% of the crowd were just bemused by watching a clown hit a bin with a baseball bat.

Only just now saw this.

I hate 80's music, mostly because of The Cure and The Smiths.

This is the worst post.

Actually, it's...

XYs64gw.png

In fairness, I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't like either the Smiths or the Cure. I mean, I'm 18 years old and I've never had a girlfriend, of course the Smiths are my favourite band, but when you consider the mixture of misery and offbeat humour in the lyrics, and what an abrasive personality Morrissey is, and just how relentless the critical acclaim for them is, they're going to let some people down. And the Cure are arguably even worse for misery and weirdness.

Nickelback, One Direction, Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, Hedley, A Day To Remeber, Black Veil Brides, Of Mice And Men, basically all Metalcore, emo, post-hardcore shit that's popular with the girls I follow on Twitter. It's all a load of garbage. Oh, I hate Blood on the Dance Floor too.

Edited by I_Like_EWR

Nickelback, One Direction, Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, Hedley, A Day To Remeber, Black Veil Brides, Of Mice And Men, basically all Metalcore, emo, post-hardcore shit that's popular with the girls I follow on Twitter. It's all a load of garbage. Oh, I hate Blood on the Dance Floor too.

And why do you follow these girls? :P

And why do you follow these girls? :P

They're all friends of friends, and I follow back, so yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

ABBA, Good Charlotte, Slipknot, System Of A Down, One Direction (funny, because I like Zayn's solo stuff), Pearl Jam, and Kings of Leon. But most of all, I ABSOFUCKINGGODDAMNEDLUTELY hate Insane Clown Posse. I've actually met a few Juggalos online that were tolerable, but I've yet to meet one in real life that I didn't want to punch in the mouth within 5 minutes.

And for the record, I may hate Slipknot, but I somewhat like Stone Sour. Not enough to go buy their albums, but enough to listen to some of their songs. Mushroomhead gets compared to Slipknot a lot because of the whole masks thing, but I don't see it. Mushroomhead is actually a decent band. Even moreso since J-Mann rejoined and Waylon is gone.

Technically, I also hate Type O Negative, except I do like the cover they did of Cinnamon Girl. Go figure. 

Add Saliva without Josey Scott, and current Drowning Pool. I've liked their other singers, but they just don't sound right with Jasen Moreno.

How did I forgot to mention Tool? I don't like Tool. It's not them so much, they're not bad. The fanbase acting as if they are musical geniuses and one of the most important bands of the last twenty years. They're not. 

Kings of Leon are silly. 

Five Finger Death Punch and their phoney commando tough guy shit can get flushed down the toilet.

But what do I know? I like Afroman.

• Like 1

I'll admit I used to like Kid Rock, but once he started doing mainstream and pseudo-country songs, I stopped caring about him. Him being a Trump lover doesn't help his (devil without a) cause.

Tool isn't even Maynard James Keenan's best band. A Perfect Circle is.

Forgot to mention that the Grateful Dead were the most overrated band of all time. Other than Truckin', I can't think of a single song by them I ever heard that I thought was any good. I absolutely hate Touch of Grey, which was their most popular song. 

• 2 weeks later...

Arctic Monkeys. There seems to have been some weird cult-like obsession with them amongst a good proportion of university-aged males for the last 5 years at least, and they serve as the flagship band promoted by the "indie/alternative/pop punk" night at the only club in Norwich I've ever really enjoyed. Over the last year its made being there go from "I'll be ok if I avoid the main room" to "I can't stand it anywhere here now" and haven't been on a Friday for a month; probably my longest voluntary break since I started going out regularly.

• Like 3

Likewise. One or two good songs, both of them on the first EP/album. Were bearable as a rough-around-the-edges Northern pub rock act, but then seemed to get delusions that they were Scott fucking Walker or something and tried to do meaningful arty shit and it's invariably awful.

I've spoken at length before about my disdain for certain heavy metal fans and bands, largely from my years working as a rock and metal DJ - I've been to a few "rock nights" lately, and might start DJing the odd one again, so it's kind of brought all that rushing back recently. I don't know of another genre where people so fervently define their identity by the genre - calling themselves "metallers" and so on - yet where the extent to which you define yourself by it seems to be in inverse correlation to the amount of knowledge you actually have of the genre. It's depressing being at one of these nights and seeing the dancefloor all but empty for anything from Soundgarden to Cathedral to Black Sabbath to fucking Slayer to Mastodon, yet immediately fill up when they play Slipknot or Papa Roach or Soil, or Tenacious Fucking D, or Limp Bizkit or anything else from 2000-2002. I get that most of the people there will be around my age or younger, and it's music they remember from their teenage years, and nostalgia's a massive driving force in music, but it's shit. It's one thing to think, "oh man, remember this?" and enjoy it on a night out, but these people won't budge for anything else, and they still listen to the shit.

I cringe if I hear nu-metal, it's not something anyone should be actively seeking out to listen to!

• Like 2