Your latest "discovery"

livid

So, as I was skipping through my music trying to find something that I really wanted to listen to, I began wondering when the last time I got that feeling that you get (you've all had it) when you discover a band you love (or just obsess over for a length of time) for the first time.

To be honest, I can't really come up with a recent example outside of Porcelain Raft or Youth Lagoon last year.

So does anybody have any recent discoveries? Or any vivid ones from the past?

My music taste is pretty different from most people here, as I'm a big EDM fan, but recently discovered Zardonic when I was looking for Venezuelan DJ's (my ex and daughter are Venezuelan), and listened to his music alot in the last 2 months or so. Finding out he's touring Europe soon and coming to Rotterdam is a huge bonus. :D

Dubstep in general. And here I am not talking about the wild electro-babblings of Skrillex, Nick Thayer and who else, but actual British dubstep that hit the mainstream ten or so years ago; artists like Caspa, Rusko, Skream, The Others and so on and so forth. Also more experimental guys like Joy Orbison and his strange fusion of UK Garage and dubstep. Same goes for Kassem Mosse and Mix Mop. What I don't like is that I think I might be the only fan here because the word "dubstep" has been sort of bastardized by American producers so whenever it is mentioned people think blender-noises and fax machines being molested.

Also, in a sort of re-discovery, Tuvan throat singing! Which is amazing and very impressive and blew my god damn mind when I heard it the first time. And still does, now that I am listening to it again.

Through my music app I can listen to "radio stations" that plays music similar to any band I pick, often I end up hearing songs this way and think "ooh this is cool, I'll have to check this band out" but I never get around to it and end up forgetting the band's name.

I dont really do that anymore. I used to be way into music and discovering the next great thing. No time anymore just to try out new things

Get Spotify or do allmusic.com related searches. I'm kind of like you in that I've largely stopped checking out new stuff, but it's always good to keep up here and there, and there's a lot of good out there.

You discovered How to Dress Well from me, though, right? You should go discover more of them. As in just listen to Love Remains, his newest one is not as good.

Dubstep in general. And here I am not talking about the wild electro-babblings of Skrillex, Nick Thayer and who else, but actual British dubstep that hit the mainstream ten or so years ago; artists like Caspa, Rusko, Skream, The Others and so on and so forth. Also more experimental guys like Joy Orbison and his strange fusion of UK Garage and dubstep. Same goes for Kassem Mosse and Mix Mop. What I don't like is that I think I might be the only fan here because the word "dubstep" has been sort of bastardized by American producers so whenever it is mentioned people think blender-noises and fax machines being molested.

Also, in a sort of re-discovery, Tuvan throat singing! Which is amazing and very impressive and blew my god damn mind when I heard it the first time. And still does, now that I am listening to it again.

This is blindingly obvious perhaps, but you haven't mentioned it so I just need to make sure: have you listened to Burial yet?

Burial is very very very good.

Spotify Premium has really helped me in discovering new music. It's awesome.

My latest discoveries are Television, Yo La Tengo, and most importantly this album right here

tumblr_mak5u9En4G1r3owlzo1_500.jpg

"From the makers of 'It's My Life' comes one the most fucking amazing albums ever."

Otherwise there have been a couple of bands I've found out about due to the EWB Eurovision competitions that Katsuya was running in the Cube. Someone entered a song by the French group Oh La La! which I gave high points to, researched on youtube and then found the album on Amazon and bought it. Brilliant album it is too.

I found out about Sleigh Bells through the Eurovision game too and got their "Treats" album.

Oh another old one I remember was when I was living in Birmingham. On the bus home I was reading the Metro newspaper and they said that night a Japanese band called Polysics were going to be playing at Bar Academy - upstairs in the small room. The reviewer mentioned a few genre words that sounded interesting so my wife and I went. There was about 20-30 of us there as we got through the three support acts before 90 minutes or so of unbelievably wonderful music and everyone there with permanent grins on their faces. I've seen them live a couple of times since (once in a bigger venue in Birmingham and once in Japan) but the first gig was one of those special moments.

First song they came out to play. Straight after three useless local acts.

I dont really do that anymore. I used to be way into music and discovering the next great thing. No time anymore just to try out new things

Get Spotify or do allmusic.com related searches. I'm kind of like you in that I've largely stopped checking out new stuff, but it's always good to keep up here and there, and there's a lot of good out there.

You discovered How to Dress Well from me, though, right? You should go discover more of them. As in just listen to Love Remains, his newest one is not as good.

Why did I ignore Spotify for so long? Listening to Florence and the Machine right now and not even spending money! :D You're the best sir