Your latest "discovery"

livid

Dubstep in general. And here I am not talking about the wild electro-babblings of Skrillex, Nick Thayer and who else, but actual British dubstep that hit the mainstream ten or so years ago; artists like Caspa, Rusko, Skream, The Others and so on and so forth. Also more experimental guys like Joy Orbison and his strange fusion of UK Garage and dubstep. Same goes for Kassem Mosse and Mix Mop. What I don't like is that I think I might be the only fan here because the word "dubstep" has been sort of bastardized by American producers so whenever it is mentioned people think blender-noises and fax machines being molested.

Also, in a sort of re-discovery, Tuvan throat singing! Which is amazing and very impressive and blew my god damn mind when I heard it the first time. And still does, now that I am listening to it again.

This is blindingly obvious perhaps, but you haven't mentioned it so I just need to make sure: have you listened to Burial yet?

Actually, I have only listened to a few tracks. I think I sort of stayed clear of them because they are so hyped and, from what I've heard, they aren't much use for the kind of dubstep I tend to DJ. With my new-found personal interest in the genre though, I might check them out more thoroughly.

Well, yes, that's true. It's nothing like Caspa or Rusko. However, there is a little bit of crossover with Skream, so it's worth a listen. It's not at all the kind of stuff you would DJ though!

I think he deserves the hype. You could listen to anything really, but I'd recommend the self-titled or Kindred.

Well, yes, that's true. It's nothing like Caspa or Rusko. However, there is a little bit of crossover with Skream, so it's worth a listen. It's not at all the kind of stuff you would DJ though!

I think he deserves the hype. You could listen to anything really, but I'd recommend the self-titled or Kindred.

Little bit of crossover with Skream? Cool. That I will have to check out.

So I guess I found my latest one in the form of Junip. I love Jose Gonzalez and had been aware of the band and what little I had heard of it left me pretty indifferent but I decided to give them a chance last night and have been mildly obsessed (as much as one can be in 24 hours at least) with them.

Biggest problem I have is stuff on Spotify like

"We noticed you like Bad Religion! Why not give Social Distortion a try?"

Well thanks...if I didn't already have like 30 Social D songs in my playlist, I might just do that...

So I guess I found my latest one in the form of Junip. I love Jose Gonzalez and had been aware of the band and what little I had heard of it left me pretty indifferent but I decided to give them a chance last night and have been mildly obsessed (as much as one can be in 24 hours at least) with them.

Junip are awesome. God, I love the video serial for "Line of Fire" and "Your Life, Your Call".

Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie for me even though I've known of them for years. I looked into both of their catalogs and have really enjoyed both of them considerably.

After years I've re-discovered Cock Sparrer, been about 8 years since i last bothered with them and i regret not giving them more of a chance. Shock Troops and Running Riot are fucking great albums.

Justin Warfield thanks to Kong, he's pretty much exactly what i like about hip hop.

Amon Duul II, a German psychedelic band that began in the 60s and remained active for years. They're very cool, i saw a video of them doing Soap Shop Rock live, and its one of those things that makes you feel nostalgic for an era you didn't even live in.

I dont really do that anymore. I used to be way into music and discovering the next great thing. No time anymore just to try out new things

Same here. Music was the quickest of media stuff for me to fall by the wayside. I still get the occasional new artist to listen to, but struggle.

Most recently discovered bands would be Hands Like Houses, War of Ages or Misery Signals.

Heh, when I was into metal, I was super into Misery Signals at one point.

Purity Ring this year. Definitely.

I don't know how I could forget them - I've listened to Shrines probably two dozen times at this point. Love 'em.

I like them but I got kinda tired of them pretty quickly.

The duality of Chance the Rapper and Chief Keef (actually two of my other discoveries this year/tail end of last year) is really interesting. Both from the same neighborhood/high school in Chicago, and both are world's different.

Axel Rudi Pell. I never heard his music until I ordered a 5CD box set a month ago. I had heard OF him, and figured his music would be right up my alley. One of those great classic heavy metal guitarists. I saw that box set for little money and how some of the lead vocalists featured were none other than Rob Rock (one of my absolute favourites ever) and Jeff Scott Soto.

I quite liked the music. Actually I think my favourite CD turned out to be the debut, Wild Obsession, that features the current Foghat lead singer Charlie Huhn.

• 2 weeks later...

ELOQ. God damn ELOQ. He is primarily the producer for Danish grime artist Kidd but has also worked a track with Suspekt, one of the biggest hip-hop groups in Denmark. But on the side he makes all these weird trap, dubstep and instrumental grime production that are fucking dope. The more stuff of his I listen to, the more I love his music.

• Like 1