Your latest "discovery"

livid

Dubstep in general. And here I am not talking about the wild electro-babblings of Skrillex, Nick Thayer and who else, but actual British dubstep that hit the mainstream ten or so years ago; artists like Caspa, Rusko, Skream, The Others and so on and so forth. Also more experimental guys like Joy Orbison and his strange fusion of UK Garage and dubstep. Same goes for Kassem Mosse and Mix Mop. What I don't like is that I think I might be the only fan here because the word "dubstep" has been sort of bastardized by American producers so whenever it is mentioned people think blender-noises and fax machines being molested.

Also, in a sort of re-discovery, Tuvan throat singing! Which is amazing and very impressive and blew my god damn mind when I heard it the first time. And still does, now that I am listening to it again.

We must have spoken about this before, but I fucking love throat singing. Who have you been listening to?

Amon Duul II, a German psychedelic band that began in the 60s and remained active for years. They're very cool, i saw a video of them doing Soap Shop Rock live, and its one of those things that makes you feel nostalgic for an era you didn't even live in.

Adore them. Have you listened to much else of the "Krautrock" bands? There's a lot of Faust's stuff I think you'd like.

Dubstep in general. And here I am not talking about the wild electro-babblings of Skrillex, Nick Thayer and who else, but actual British dubstep that hit the mainstream ten or so years ago; artists like Caspa, Rusko, Skream, The Others and so on and so forth. Also more experimental guys like Joy Orbison and his strange fusion of UK Garage and dubstep. Same goes for Kassem Mosse and Mix Mop. What I don't like is that I think I might be the only fan here because the word "dubstep" has been sort of bastardized by American producers so whenever it is mentioned people think blender-noises and fax machines being molested.

Also, in a sort of re-discovery, Tuvan throat singing! Which is amazing and very impressive and blew my god damn mind when I heard it the first time. And still does, now that I am listening to it again.

We must have spoken about this before, but I fucking love throat singing. Who have you been listening to?

Mostly Kongar-ol Ondar and Altan Urag, who both make fantastic stuff. I also got a hold of the soundtrack to the film Mongol, which features a lot of traditional Mongolian folk music, including throat singing.

Do you know Sainkho Namtchylak? I expect you probably do, but she's absolutely incredible. Does a better job of marrying Tuvan folk music to more modern forms than anyone else I've heard.

Do you know Sainkho Namtchylak? I expect you probably do, but she's absolutely incredible. Does a better job of marrying Tuvan folk music to more modern forms than anyone else I've heard.

Actually, no, I don't know her. But I will certainly check her out. She sounds interesting. Any recommendations? I had quick glance over her discography and it looks absolutely massive.

Amon Duul II, a German psychedelic band that began in the 60s and remained active for years. They're very cool, i saw a video of them doing Soap Shop Rock live, and its one of those things that makes you feel nostalgic for an era you didn't even live in.

Adore them. Have you listened to much else of the "Krautrock" bands? There's a lot of Faust's stuff I think you'd like.

I don't know much Krautrock honestly, or I don't realize that I have listened to some of it. There is this group German Oak from the early 70s, they're instrumental and use WW2/Nazi Germany era titles for their music. I'm not sure if they're actually Nazi's in the way Skrewdriver were a bunch of dumb fuck racists, or if it's just them using nazi imagery in the way Ron Asheton or Sid Vicious would have (for shock value, or because they actually like the uniform).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After years I've re-discovered Cock Sparrer, been about 8 years since i last bothered with them and i regret not giving them more of a chance. Shock Troops and Running Riot are fucking great albums.

Cock Sparrer is fucking great--Shock Troops is a classic for sure.

VP: Check out the newer Darkthrone stuff, they do a punky black n' roll thing that's pretty awesome.

Agreed on the newer Darkthrone records. I feel like any honest fan of punk or black metal will dig it.

Lately I've been revisiting a lot of old school death metal--Brutality, Morta Skuld, Disincarnate.

Also I've been listening to Cold as Life, Detroit's infamous '90s hardcore band:

I'll look into it Kong. How new should I be going? I've sampled a bit of The Cult is Alive and The Underground Resistance, should I stay between them or go further back then 2005? I am sort of familiar with their first few albums, it reminds me of Mayhem's early stuff and I like some that to an extent.

I'm originally from Detroit, but have never heard of that Cold as Life. I should ask my wife, she's a bit older and might remember them.

Edit - So far I dig The Cult Is Alive from Darkthrone. I actually like these guys as they get older, their music matures (if metal ever matures). I like black metal, but the problem I have with a lot of the early stuff is that it sounds disjointed, like they are all just playing the same two beats or rhythms over and over again really fucking fast. I know that might sound hypocritical given some of the punk I listen to, but the stuff I'm hearing from Darkthrone now is still fast and hard as fuck, but it absolutely has a much more appealing sound. I like it so far.

No, it totally makes sense--mid-era Darkthrone in particular is really repetitive (even though I personally love it). Punk on the other hand almost always fits organically, even with noisy bands like Disorder.

Another unrelated band I've been listening to lately is Terrible Feelings from Sweden. They're super catchy:

And in that same vein, Arctic Flowers from Portland who are also amazing live: