The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

What is AJ Lee doing hacking into SHIELD computers? YOU HAVE A DIVAS TITLE TO DEFEND, AJ LEE.

I liked it. Didn't love it, but it's a network pilot and they rarely come out fully formed.

• Like 2

I thought it was damn good for a first episode. Action was fun and the characters are all pretty entertaining.

Melinda May and Coulson look to be pretty damn interesting, especially.

Will be fun as

Extremis looks like it might be main plot of this season, plus I eagerly
looking forward as to what 0-8-4 is for next episode. Also, Mike Peterson is
just some regular guy, right? He's not going to be in the show anymore?

The only thing that I didn't like about the show is that it felt too much like CSI and related shows, which I abhor.

That said, they did a really good job of tying in film-related sub-plots while maintaining a stand-alone show. I expect that next week's episode will see a jump in quality based on the fact that it isn't a pilot episode.

A friend of mine from Ozland saw it and really liked it a lot but his one criticism was that he felt it needed to be feature length because there were too many characters to be fleshed out in the time that they had and he felt that more time would have helped establish said characters better. I should note that he did say he knows there was only so much we'd learn this early but that it was still below the character development what we'd expect from a premiere.

Seeing as I'm waiting until it actually premieres on tv and am not going to chase it up on the net like he did, I'm asking you guys, is there any merit to his point?

A friend of mine from Ozland saw it and really liked it a lot but his one criticism was that he felt it needed to be feature length because there were too many characters to be fleshed out in the time that they had and he felt that more time would have helped establish said characters better. I should note that he did say he knows there was only so much we'd learn this early but that it was still below what we'd expect from a premiere.

Seeing as I'm waiting until it actually premieres on tv and am not going to chase it up on the net like he did, I'm asking you guys, is there any merit to his point?

Sort of, but there's going to be plenty of time to flesh out characters later. The show established character traits well enough in the pilot I thought.

Yeah, it's a pilot. Your only going to get a brief picture of the people and what's happening around them. The show has twenty one episodes left in the season, I'm sure the characters will be much more fleshed out as time goes on.

That being said, a feature length premiere might have gotten more people on board at the start. The CSI feeling is there, no doubt about it, but if your even half way interested in the show, give the pilot a go.

I liked it, but not without complaints:

- There were definitely moments that felt too much like a CBS procedural. Some clunky, cheesy dialogue here and there, the uber-cheesy "We did it, team!" slow motion montage, and some "Hey, don'tpayattentiontothedetails" stuff when explaining technology or the like. Given that we're in a world of gods and superheroes, I find the technology bit somewhat forgivable, but clunky dialogue is clunky no matter what the world is.

- Coulson is indeed going to anchor this show and do a dandy job of it, but they do have to eventually pay off on the mystery of why he's around. When they do, it can't be a cop-out. They're gonna need a damn good explanation. It's not so much a problem now as it's a potential problem down the road.

- Man, I nearly lost track of the Pretty White Girls. Christ and fuck, diversify.

In the end though, it's still a show I'll stick with for the time being.

Man, I nearly lost track of the Pretty White Girls. Christ and fuck, diversify.

Chloe Bennet (Skye) is half-Chinese. Of the three female characters in the main cast (Cobie Smulders isn't), one is white.

• Like 3

Chloe Bennet (Skye) is half-Chinese. Of the three female characters in the main cast (Cobie Smulders isn't), one is white.
Not to mention that the thick British/Scottish/Irish/whatever accent from the one didn't make it even more obvious?
  • Like 1

Strictly something I didn't pick up on. There still seems to be too much similarity in appearance. As I said, I nearly lost track. More to the point, I'm gonna need more than "speaks with a Scottish accent" (especially when that's a shared trait with another character) to make these characters stand out on their own.

Granted, it's just the pilot, so there's plenty of time to delve into each character, but the casting could have been more visually arresting.