The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

I still don't totally understand why they can't be with Shield in the first place. It's almost certainly me being super dumb or missing something and hopefully someone will explain it to me, but being super secret secret agents for a super secret division of a super secret agency that doesn't officially exist any longer seems like the kind of thing that's easy to keep... well secret.

37 minutes ago, Benji said:

I still don't totally understand why they can't be with Shield in the first place. It's almost certainly me being super dumb or missing something and hopefully someone will explain it to me, but being super secret secret agents for a super secret division of a super secret agency that doesn't officially exist any longer seems like the kind of thing that's easy to keep... well secret.

They were caught shooting and killing a high-ranking Russian officer (who granted, was an Inhuman) on Russian soil, and SHIELD disavowed them to prevent the thing from escalating into a diplomatic incident AND to prevent people from knowing SHIELD is still a thing (since officially SHIELD disbanded post TWS, and now the ATCU is the official agency who have their strings pulled by SHIELD).

So if Coulson had broke them out in Russia, the Russians would've known something was fucky and they would've raised hell throwing SHIELD (which everyone thinks was a HYDRA shill) back into the light.

But tl;dr, they needed a way to write two characters off the show without killing them. But even with the whole disavowing they can easily write a story that de-disavows them and brings them back into SHIELD. But with the SHIELD cast being bloated as it is, I am not sure how conducive it would be for the rest of the secondary cast. Like I said, I'd rather see them pop in a few times a season as their freelancer allies who help them out when they need some backup... 

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

They could come back and save the day in the finale, that'd be cool. Or next season they could just have two stories running side by side, maybe even have dedicated 'Bobby and Hunter' episodes to tell the story which would've been in MW, with an eventual reunion. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't object to less centralized stories to be honest. Using the ensemble cast to full effect by having multiple on-going stories could be exactly what the show needs to keep it fresh, and lessen the feeling that the cast is getting a bit bloated.

• Like 1

Just now, Benji said:

I wouldn't object to less centralized stories to be honest. Using the ensemble cast to full effect by having multiple on-going stories could be exactly what the show needs to keep it fresh.

I loved it earlier in the season where Hunter went undercover in HYDRA to get to Ward, but sadly that story was put on turbo and they finished it off in like three episodes... They've also had a few of them in the middle of the season, like Mack's char-dev episode and Lincoln/Daisy trying to find the Inhuman artifact from Drunk Australian.

But in AOS I trust, and they've not given me a reason to doubt the rest of the season and next season won't be any better than this season and the ones prior. They've shook off the early S1 shitness and become an awesome series that deserves to run for as many seasons as they need to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Avenged said:

They have a unique thing in that they exist in an ever changing world, the changes occur externally which means the show doesn't have to waste time altering stuff like that itself.

Not just that, but they're being given reasonable carte blanche to write and rewrite their own MCU canon, for example their retcon of HYDRA's history from and evil organisation that were the true brain behind WW2, to a deathcult that has existed in some form over thousands of years. And it being about Inhumans too.

In case anyone is being cautious, Clark Gregg tweeted this out about watching SHIELD without having seen CA:CW

The tweet he was responding to was if it was safe to watch.  Having watched the episode, I can confirm.  There are some VERY minor things, but nothing that would come off as a huge shock

Minor CA:CW spoilers

There is a line on TV that says something like"The whereabouts of Captain America following his very public dispute with Tony Stark are still unknown", and they reference the death of Peggy Carter.  Other then that, its just general talk about what the Solkovia Accords are

So...they've been hyping all season (well, half-season) that someone is going to die....who do you think it is?

I'm half expecting a cop out of some sort...like, maybe Ward takes control of Hive and sacrifices himself.

If they kill off Hive I'll be dissapointed, because I feel he should be given a bit more time to be his evil self... But mostly because I love James/Hellfire and want to see him in more episodes.

If I were to guess whose gonna get written off, I'd be going with May, Lincoln, or Yo-Yo... Or maybe even at a stretch Daisy, to give a really really big twist. But I doubt they'd kill off the show's #2 character.

They've teased a lot of things, like Yo-Yo giving Mack a necklace which is shown in Daisy's flashback of the ship, but I feel that's a huge red herring. And Mack should be safe after getting destroyed by Daisy a few episodes earlier.
I feel with Andrew killed by Hellfire, May's story has pretty much ran its course over the past three seasons. And I don't really feel she brings much to the team anymore than the designated ass-kicker role.
Lincoln's entire story has been his slight craziness and him being a loose cannon who does everything to protect/be with Daisy, at the risk of himself and the rest of the agents. So he could just so easily give his life to save Daisy's in the finale.
Finally, Daisy is a bit of a curveball, but it makes sense in a way. After all every person that has gotten the flashbacks from McGuffin ended up seeing their own deaths, rather than the deaths of others. The man that got touched first got killed by HYDRA (as he saw in the vision), then Malick got killed (as he saw in his vision), so it would make perfect sense for Daisy to not have seen others die, but instead have seen herself die.

If they write off Daisy though, that'd be a huge twist in terms of story. And I wonder how they would come back from such a thing, because they'd be writing off the biggest character beyond Coulson, you can even argue she's THE character the show revolves around... Then again, it would be extremely interesting.

Also, some rumours connect Sharon Carter/Agent 13 (Emily VanCamp) to be joining the cast next season. The TV-series she was starring in ended in 2015... And
Civil War Spoiler

Sharon has ruined her CIA career by helping Team Cap when she stole back their equipment, so she's a wanted criminal and no longer viable to work for the CIA... Becoming an agent of SHIELD (again) wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benji said:

That's bad.

That's good.

That's bad.

Can I go now?

I really had the sneaking suspicion from the get go that MMW would not make it out of the pilot stage, and I was right. Just a crying shame they had to write off the two main characters out of AOS before those decisions were made, which in turn hurt that show too because they've now lost out on two great characters.

Here's to hoping they somehow find a way to return to AOS, perhaps as allies freelancers that pop up when they need the extra help.
ABC also really needs to get their shit together and don't make this shit hang in the air for the longest of time, it make everyone look really really bad.