The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

I really thought this episode flowed much, much better than the pilot. This was way more of an action based episode, but I liked it much better than the CSI-esque approach that the pilot took. The newbies are shaping up quite nicely too. I'm not overly attached to them yet, but they have all piqued my interest so kudos on that front.

Major episode two spoiler!

NICK F'N FURY!?! I wonder how much we should read into this? I'm sure the likelihood is kind of low, but I'd love to see some of the Avengers show up on here; Black Widow especially.

Problem I had with this episode was that the villain was pretty low-wattage. No real presence on screen. But the characters are breathing a bit more which is good! I came out of this really wanting more focus on Melinda May. Also waaaaaaaaaaay less "THIS IS A COMIC BOOK TV SHOW GUYS HOW ABOUT IT" stuff than last week which is wonderful.

But fuck, Nick Fury showing up is such a great adrenaline jolt.

Yeah, I kind of wished I hadn't read about the post-credits scene, that would have been a wonderful surprise. Coulson is so damn awesome, though, and I'm beginning to really understand the team. I still feel that May is going to die in a season finale, though

:(

Also, I know this sounds dumb, but what does it mean exactly that the Rising Tide is going dark? Does it mean underground or something? Or that they're taking a hiatus?

I find it a little weird but Coulson reminds me more of Nick Fury from the comics than cinematic Fury does. I know Jackson is portraying the Ultimate version that is based on him, but he still just comes across as Sam Jackson as Sam Jackson to me. We never really see him do all that much. I get that Fury works in large part from the shadows but the great Steranko stories that made him famous and made him into the super spy of Marvel are way more instep with Coulson.

Coulson is the one who is a badass in the field, Coulson is the one who has romantic exploits with Peruvian lady warriors, and Coulson is the man gallivanting the globe with a flying car!

Much better than last week.

I'm wondering what's going on with Skye. She had the, "I infiltrated a government agency for my rogue terrorist group, but now I kind of like everybody and don't want to go through with it" look on her face when she sent off the text message.

Also, next week I'm hoping to see something more in line with a typical villain. The action picked up with Reyes and her team, but they could have been fighting over oil and it wouldn't have made a huge difference. I want some more punch to the situation, with the SHIELD agents having to face threats that are extraordinary in nature.

In regards to the ratings, all shows take a hit after the debut. People tune in to see if they like it, and the week after is usually a good indication of who is going to continue watching. I'd say a 3.1 rating, beaten out only by established shows that cater to a mass demographic, is pretty fucking good.

A drop from 4.7 to 3.1 in one week is drastic and certainly something to be concerned about going forward. Another drop like that and it becomes a major issue.

Not really when you're comparing pilot numbers to retaining numbers. Seeing a drop like this again would be bad, but there's no way it drops so drastically again. What's left will be the people interested enough to stick with it, those that would've abandoned it probably already have.

• Like 1

Also worth keeping in mind is what the DVR bump will be. Entirely possible that some people saw the premiere as appointment TV and will be watching it on DVR from here on out.

Much better than last week.

I'm wondering what's going on with Skye. She had the, "I infiltrated a government agency for my rogue terrorist group, but now I kind of like everybody and don't want to go through with it" look on her face when she sent off the text message.

I saw that coming, but felt they threw that out there way too soon.