The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

6 hours ago, TMM said:

My concern about Iron Fist all stems from the "should've had an Asian lead" thing, but not in the way everyone has. I had the feeling the show had zero chance with critics because the general consensus was that this was the chance to give an Asian actor a lead in a big show but they didn't.  
The Iron Fist story isn't especially great and my understanding is that it kinda follows the Batman/Arrow trope that has already been done in film and TV, so it may potentially feel like a retread and was always going to have a hard time. But you can't write a show off after 6 episodes in the same way you can't declare it awesome after 6. I'm looking forward to it and each of the other four seasons of Netflix Marvel have been excellent, so they've kind of earned my faith here.

EWB literally did this for The Flash :shifty:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TMM said:

My concern about Iron Fist all stems from the "should've had an Asian lead" thing, but not in the way everyone has. I had the feeling the show had zero chance with critics because the general consensus was that this was the chance to give an Asian actor a lead in a big show but they didn't.  
The Iron Fist story isn't especially great and my understanding is that it kinda follows the Batman/Arrow trope that has already been done in film and TV, so it may potentially feel like a retread and was always going to have a hard time. But you can't write a show off after 6 episodes in the same way you can't declare it awesome after 6. I'm looking forward to it and each of the other four seasons of Netflix Marvel have been excellent, so they've kind of earned my faith here.

Yes you can. Especially if it's one of these TV Shows that has 12-13 episodes per season. That is half the season right there. There are so many interesting TV shows out there these days that I'm simply not willing to waste time with a mediocre TV show on the off chance that it might get better after X episodes or that it might get better with Season 2. That is the reason why I never bothered to watch Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D..

I mean, to each their own, it's just not unheard for a show to not have its legs under it right away. Once everybody gets in the groove of things and the writers realize what works and what doesn't, a lot of good can come from that.

That said, it doesn't always happen so you don't have to keep with it if you don't want to, just be open about going back to it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Benkid Cratchit said:

I don't know why you think saying this would help your point :huh:

Watched a couple of episode of Season 1. Thought it was boring as hell. Judging from reviews it doesn't get better until Season 2. I'm not willing to sit through 22 episode of mediocrity to get to the good stuff. I know I'm missing out on some good TV that way but there are so many TV shows out there that managed grabbed my attention right away that I don't really care if I might miss out on the few ones that take some time to get good. Also IIRC Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since the runners of the MCU have decided to ignore it.

Edited by Hellraiser

I kind of get what he's saying.

True, some shows don't hit their stride until later. (Lots of people aren't fond of the entire first season of Parks & Rec, but love the series overall) However, not everyone's willing to invest 3-6 hours of time to get to "where it gets good." It's all a matter of how you want to invest your time.

Personally, I'll give Iron Fist a shot. It does seem it will be the weakest series of that world so far, but as long as it's at least an okay/decent show I'll go all the way through. I'm pretty dedicated to the Marvel Netflix world - and I sense that once we get to Defenders, every series will have plenty of room to keep it interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

Watched a couple of episode of Season 1. Thought it was boring as hell. Judging from reviews it doesn't get better until Season 2. I'm not willing to sit through 22 episode of mediocrity to get to the good stuff. I know I'm missing out on some good TV that way but there are so many TV shows out there that managed grabbed my attention right away that I don't really care if I might miss out on the few ones that take some time to get good. Also IIRC Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since the runners of the MCU have decided to ignore it.

Ep 14,16-22 if you really wanna abridge the first season to the ones that matter. Read up recaps on the other episodes to see the things you've missed.

Or follow this guide.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Some additional more spoilery thoughts now I've finished episode four:

Spoiler

Hogarth! :w00t:

Colleen Wing seems like a bad ass so far, she's absolutely battering people twice her size, her and Danny are gonna kick some serious ass in the later parts of the season. As a non-comic reader, does she have a hero alias she could become?

I like the amount of intrigue around Harold, but it seems really obvious that he's going to end up being a villain of some kind. Hoping they go a different way with it. Wade, on the other hand, is an asshole, and I'd rather he ended up the main antagonist for the series.

Madame Gao and The Hand :o I never thought back in Daredevil that Gao would end up being a 'big bad', but the way she's got Harold on strings is great so far.

Whilst I like that they're establishing links between Rand and the other Defenders already, I want to know more about Danny's past than his future :P

• 3 weeks later...

So, to get caught up if you missed anything..

S1- OMG WARD IS HYDRA!

S2- OMG WARD IS THE LEADER OF HYDRA!

S3- OMG WARD IS HYDRA!

S4- OMG WARD IS SHIELD!

• Like 1