The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

13 hours ago, Benji said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The finale? They left the Framework so they're back in the real world now. Am I forgetting something?

Also:

Spoiler

Im pretty sure S.H.I.E.L.D is completely gone now.

Oh hey, I finished the Defenders! It was okay, I guess! Like, it wasn't actively bad most of the time. Better than Iron Fist and maybe the second half of Daredevil S2 but not anything else. There were a couple of really fun fights, a couple good performances. Getting more into that stuff behind the cut.

Spoiler

The highlight by far was Alexandra being killed off mid-monologue. I love Sigourney Weaver but that absolutely had to happen.

also credit where credit is due; it was the right decision to bring back Bakuto, if just because he actually makes sense as a character when he's framed as Colleen's archnemesis instead of Danny's. Watching him get killed off was very satisfying, much more than if they had just left it where they did in Iron Fist. It was honestly the best part of a kind of bad finale; the lighting in the big group battle scene was fucking awful and that was before there was suddenly lens flare, and the bit where they kept cutting between a forlorn Foggy and Karen and an empty door frame ended up making me burst out laughing when they did it one time too many, which... is not how you're meant to respond to that scene.

I'm looking forward to, like... being done with the Hand in general for a good while, hopefully. Like, shit, if they want to bring Gao back since it's a comic book show and we never saw a body, I wouldn't mind. Wai Ching Ho is a delight and sold the "we've been around forever" monologuing in a way no one else really could. I also liked Murakami, who's sort of in the same situation but I have to imagine he's gone for good. But The Hand itself just runs in opposition to what I think has made the Marvel Netflix villains/antagonists that have worked actually work. There's no real humanity to them, whereas Kingpin, Punisher (for half a season), Cottonmouth/Black Mariah, and even Kilgrave all felt like real types of people that circumstances/power have turned into monsters. Hopefully The Punisher puts this corner of the MCU back on track.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ruki said:

I think the first episode of Inhumans released. Anyone watch it? Worth It?

I have never read inhumans comics except during big crossovers,so I don't know hot It compares to the source material.

As a standalone show is a decent effort in sci-fi, the first episode is mostly set up the main plot but is not utterly boring, the second episode is mos characther development than anything. There are a couple of main characters that are supossed to be good guys that come as unlikeable as any. The effects looks bad sometimes but not too much.

All in all, You can give It a chance if you have a couple of hours free.....not too bad but not awesome either.

Haven't watched it yet, but I did read a review that the headline said "The Inhumans makes Iron Fist look like Citizen Kane"

5 hours ago, Lint said:

Haven't watched it yet, but I did read a review that the headline said "The Inhumans makes Iron Fist look like Citizen Kane"

Well, it's the same director who did Iron Fist (and the late shit seasons of Dexter), so he's probably aiming to find how badly he can fuck shit up before he's blacklisted from ever directing again.

Either way, I know a lot of Marvel fanboys/girls (me included), and even the biggest apologists go 'This is pretty shit' at what Inhumans has become. People will still try to watch it, in the hope that they can salvage it with more quality later on, but christ this show isn't a good look at all. And really makes you wonder if there was any sort of quality control going on when they made this happen.

Another thing that the MCU films have proven is that you don't always need to be 100% super serial, or completely sane to bring a working product. Guardians has proved that you can be silly and ridiculous, and add some out of this world camp to the proceedings. And Thor: Ragnarok seems to be following that trend with easily more hype than both previous Thor's combined.

Inhumans have such a funky backstory, it would've behooved them to be a little lighter on their tone and generally show more cheek. Television is saturated with serious action-dramas in every sort of flavor, and they're trying to bring Game of Thrones-ian drama with a cast that clearly can't carry that weight (apart from Iwan Rheon, but he's really just a less vile Ramsay Bolton with shades of Littlefinger).

Not saying it should become 60s Batman's silliness, they can keep their serious edge. But at this point this show's only redeemable point is a CGI dog and Iwan Rheon being a scumbag, but I doubt either of those two can carry the rest of the terribleness.

I'm loving how they're refusing to drop a release date for Punisher, because it pisses everyone off on twitter, and then the punisher twitter account replies in character to wind them up even more.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

Do we need a separate thread for GIFTED, since it's tied into FOX's X-Men movies?

Its probably fallen far, but there is a thread for the Fox X-men Universe