The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

1 hour ago, GoGoya the Destroyer said:

I still have two episodes left. I've refused to let myself watch even the Defenders trailer until I finish it and even still that's not enough to spur me on.

Also, they've announced the cast of New Warriors. Most significantly, Milana Vayntraub is Squirrel Girl.

I also still have two episodes left. I have seen the Defenders trailer, though. I am okay with not finishing those two episodes.

Also yay about Milana! Though how did I not realize that Couger Town creator Kevin Biegel was running it!?

Edited by livid
  • Like 1

I thought Iron Fist was middling rather than bad. I agree with the sentiment that changing the showrunner (rather than the cast) would be a better solution for any future seasons. 

• Like 1

I thought Iron Fist totally reversed the normal Netflix Marvel series formula...the first half was a chore to get through, but the second half really picked up.  At most, they need to give him a mask, just to hide the fact that Finn doesn't know kung-fu and they can have a stunt double film the fight scenes

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lint said:

I thought Iron Fist totally reversed the normal Netflix Marvel series formula...the first half was a chore to get through, but the second half really picked up.  At most, they need to give him a mask, just to hide the fact that Finn doesn't know kung-fu and they can have a stunt double film the fight scenes

I don't get the claim that the second half picked up the action that the first half left, as I just finished episode 9 and I swear to god it must have been the most boring hour of television I've watched this year. The Son was more entertaining than this tripe.

I'd say Iron Fist was a massive letdown compared to what came before it. And I think most of the issues was just focusing too much on certain topics for too long. E.g. (I'm Danny, no you're not, i'm Danny, no you're not, I'm Danny, ok you're danny.)

That whole 'Is this really Danny' stuff dragged on for way too fucking long, and nobody really cares about corporation drama. Once they finally really got going with the Kung Fu parts, people had mostly checked out, and even then they often segued into boring trite that many people couldn't care less about. 

I loved the Harold stuff mostly because he chewed the shit out of the scenery whenever he was on screen, but at the same time I didn't care much about Ward's addiction and subsequent madness. 

Then there's the Rosario Dawson stuff, who has her moments but ultimately feels like the writers had been told to put her in so she gets to be that 'hook' that will put the team together in The Defenders. 

The show had good ideas, some very good episodes and great set pieces. But it didn't have enough of it, and it focused too much on the boring rather than the exciting. Having to be 6 hours into the show before it finally grows some legs is brutal for anyone not utterly dedicated to the MCU.

I'd say Iron Fist more than any other suffered from being too long. Just about all the Netflix Marvel shows have had the crticism that 13 eps is too much for the stories they are telling, and Iron Fist got exposed moreso than the others. 

Personally, I think about 8 episodes would probably do. 

On a platform like Netflix, length of a season should not even be a consideration. Plot out what you want to accomplish, figure out how to get there, start writing and see how many hour-ish blocks you end up with. That's how many episodes are necessary.

I really enjoyed Iron Fist, but I do understand the criticisms, and I am fully on board with people saying that certain shows still have unnecessary episodes or drag things out too long to extend a season. If the show isn't on traditional television, there's no reason to handcuff it by trying to stick to exactly the same formula. Netflix is ad-free, so you don't need to come in at 42 minutes, give or take a bit, for an hour long show. You can go anywhere from 40 minutes to 90, depending on what you need to tell the story in that specific episode.

• Like 1

I just finished Iron Fist and pretty solidly disagree that it picked up in the home stretch. It peaked in the middle, where there was a brief run of really good fight scenes (karaoke guy! Bug lady! Drunken boxer who should have been Iron Fist!) and a brief run of Finn Jones managing a potentially fun take on Danny (basically Kung-Fu Kimmy Schmidt). Then it just devolved into a bunch of conflicts I didn't care about. Bakuto was awful and pulling "oh, see, there are multiple subfactions of The Hand" was pretty weak considering that's already the excuse for bringing Hydra back repeatedly, and the Shocking Revelation in the final episode was something that it feels like anyone and everyone should have put together within two episodes. The Meachum family was just a big mess of whatever.

Spoiler

Ultimately, I think it was probably the right decision to sideline Gao because she's so good that you want her in play for multiple seasons, but Bakuto was painfully bland and Harold never came off like a credible threat in the slightest. Bakuto would have probably been my vote for worst Big Bad in MCU history, but since it was actually Harold he's probably just above Nobu/Nondescript Ninjas and probably Malekith the Accursed.

• Like 2

Finished Iron Fist as well. Absolutely fucking terrible. What was supposed to be good about the finale? The only part I enjoyed about it was Colleen putting an exclamation mark on the absolute absurdity of the season by going "Guns. Shit" at the realization that she had literally brought a sword to a gun fight.

Colleen was my favorite part of the show I think. I also really liked Harold but that was more David Wenham (Faramir!!) than Harold.

I loved Wenham because he was absolutely off the fucking charts. He went full insane Disney Villain meets Gary Busey, and he pulled it off without every flustering or breaking immersion. His insanity and just irredeemable dickery was one of the fun parts of otherwise dull plots.

• Like 2

I didn't really enjoy any of that, personally, but on the other hand that's also basically what I liked about Diamondback so I have no room to judge.

Netflix Korea with The Defenders trailer!

• Like 2