EWB's Favourite Stand-Up Comedian 2013 Voting Thread.

Skummy

This was hard so don't be surprised if I make some edits.

1. Kyle Kinane
2. Jim Gaffigan
3. Louis CK
4. Hannibal Buress
5. Doug Benson
6. Amy Schumer
7. Kumail Nanjiani
8. Adam Cayton-Holland
9. John Mulaney
10. Daniel Tosh

It appears that I don't really care much for stand up but Frank Skinner just gets better and better, smarter and less smutty as he gets older. I've always preferred Richard Herring to Stewart Lee. There's something about the honesty and open-eyed approach. The guy recorded a series of podcasts commentating a snooker match between "Me1 and Me2". I never liked Amstell on Buzzcocks but his stand up is smart, almost delicate. He also uses swearing sparingly, for effect, rather than as punctuation - something I'm a big fan of.

1. Frank Skinner

2. Richard Herring

3. Simon Amstell

1. George Carlin - The funniest man I'll ever see in my lifetime. Inspired by Lenny Bruce, but managed to step above all of the others who were by being observant, frank, but passionate. Everything Carlin picked on, he cared about. He was the mirror that allowed people to look at society and think "...that's messed up."
2. Richard Pryor - Without Pryor, there is no Dave Chappelle, no Chris Rock, arguably no Sam Kinison or Bill Hicks. The quintessential '70s comedian.
3. Norm MacDonald - Nobody is in more control of the chaos than Norm MacDonald. He and Dave Attell are the absolute greatest at completely eviscerating a heckler while keeping everyone else in stitches. I don't even particularly care for his brand of humor, but technically speaking, he is in a totally different league on stage.
4. Bill Hicks - "He's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy." The real reincarnation of Lenny Bruce. If Lewis Black is angry, Carlin was livid and Hicks was completely red-eyed. Though people paint him as a visionary, he's not. He just understood human behavior in a similar manner to any good comedian. Kinison, Black, Bruce & Hicks all let the anger control their act.
5. Louis C.K. - Taking up the torch that Lewis Black dropped, Louis C.K. successfully reflects on the world at large. There's no better analogy for Louis C.K.'s stand-up than this.
6. Dave Chappelle - What Pryor was unable to do, Chappelle did in having a wildly successful television show. Curiously, though, Chappelle's quite happy going back under the radar. Great comedian so long as he's able to go through his set his way. Fitting that he was just on tour with Fiona Apple.
7. Dave Attell - A comedian's comedian. He can handle any situation, any room, anywhere. Tremendously funny.
8. Lewis Black - I wish he was as good now as he was just a few short years ago. Peaked too soon, though I'd argue he may have just gotten tired of arguing the same points over and over. A great combination of absurdity and observational humor.
9. Mitch Hedberg - What Chevy Chase & Steve Martin did with one-liners and wordplay, Hedberg took to a completely different level. Sometimes completely random, sometimes absolutely laser-like timing. Turns out one of his jokes describes him perfectly: "...one eye was over here, the other was right the fuck on."
10. Tig Notaro - Seriously promising. Less like Hedberg's deadpan, more like a female Steven Wright. Also may have the best set opener of all time.

1. David Cross

2. John Hodgman

3. Lewis Black

4. Louis CK

5. Sarah Silverman

6. Patton Oswalt

7. Kristen Schaal

8. Eugene Mirman

From there on, it pretty much feels like I'm throwing points on people that I acknowledge as good stand-ups, but I don't have all that active an interest in. David Cross is fucking amazing, and a lot of people haven't heard his stand-up - it's an absolute shame.

A lot of people might question me putting Hodgman on the list too - as his show isn't exactly standard stand-up for the most part, but he seems to be leaning towards that after his Ragnarok show.. and he's touring right now with Schaal and Mirman.. so.. he counts to me!

• 2 weeks later...

1. Louis C.K.

2. Tony Law

3. Tim Vine

4. Stewart Lee

5. Daniel Kitson

6. Chris Rock

7. Johnny Vegas

8. Eddie Izzard

9. Harry Hill

10. Kyle Kinane

There's a few people I love but it feels like a waste of time to vote for, so honourable mentions to Bec Hill, Jonny & The Baptists, Foil Arms & Hog, Martin Mor, Micky Bartlett, Paul Currie, George Quinn/Firehorse, Lewis Schaffer, Tom Binns, David Trent and Peacock & Gamble. Also deserving of a mention is Billy Connolly, who's the first comedian to make me love stand-up.