The PS4 thread

9 to 5

Watch Dogs is going to be the game I purchase with the system on Friday. I haven't read a lot on it since I don't generally keep up with gaming news (hence my asking in here), is the story of a decent length. My friend compared it to GTA with a more serious storyline. Is this apt?

Watch Dogs is going to be the game I purchase with the system on Friday. I haven't read a lot on it since I don't generally keep up with gaming news (hence my asking in here), is the story of a decent length. My friend compared it to GTA with a more serious storyline. Is this apt?

Do you like Assassin's Creed games? It's just that in present day pretty much. Story was cheesy as fuck. I never finished it but I watched Christopher play it through. Was not a fan at all

Do you like Assassin's Creed games? It's just that in present day pretty much. Story was cheesy as fuck. I never finished it but I watched Christopher play it through. Was not a fan at all

It's weird as I attempted to play the Assassin's Creed games from 1 through. By the time I got halfway through Assassin's Creed 2, I got sick of doing the same thing over and over again. Gather information, assassinate a target, go back to gather more information and assassinate another target. I haven't been able to bring myself to finish the second Assassin's Creed yet.

The Show is on the list. It was actually between The Show and Watchdogs as my opening purchase. Which would anyone reccommend first? Watchdogs or The Show?

The EB in Fredericton is doing a bundle with Watchdogs and a year of Live right now I think? It's a local deal thing so I don't know how long it'll go for or if any other stores are doing it around the place...

If it's the same deal we're doing in BC, it's the PS4, Watch Dogs and 3 months of Plus for the price of the PS4. Great deal. If you don't want Watch Dogs, it should trade in for about $30.

As for games, The Show is far and away my must have pick. I found Watch Dogs to be a good game, but Ubisoft basically made Assassin's Creed in modern day Chicago with a hacker instead of an assassin. The gameplay is almost identical, and I didn't like AC, so I didn't personally enjoy Watch Dogs.

Wolfenstein is reportedly very good, though I haven't had the cash to plop down on it myself.

Do yourself a huge favor though, make sure to get Plus and grab a PSN Gift Card too, because Resogun and Pinball Arcade are the two games I play the most.

The Last of Us comes out at the end of July, Diablo III drops in August... September brings about Destiny (which you can Beta test in July if you pre-order) and NHL 15... Dragon Age: Inquisition and Alien: Isolation both come out in October... Far Cry 4 looks great and comes out in November, along with the new Assassin's Creed: Unity.

There isn't a lot out right now that is MUST PLAY, but there is a lot coming, and it's coming steadily starting soon. Lego Marvel is brilliant if you haven't already played it, Injustice probably doesn't benefit much from the PS4 hardware, but I would still recommend it as a pick up if you like Mortal Kombat styled fighters. UFC also looks like a decent pickup if you're not opposed to spending time learning the new systems.

Have games in general gone up recently because I saw Watch Dogs for €75 for PS4 and then saw new release PS3 games were going for €65. Seems a bit steep, considering they're still giving peanuts for trade-ins.

• Like 1

I worry about games such as Far Cry 4 because I've never played the first 3. I get that way with a lot of Sequels, which I probably shouldn't.

From what I gather with Far Cry games, they're all individual stories with similar themes and aren't connected in any other way. I played 3 not having played the first two (I'm sure I'm not the only one) and had a ton of fun with it.

Have games in general gone up recently because I saw Watch Dogs for €75 for PS4 and then saw new release PS3 games were going for €65. Seems a bit steep, considering they're still giving peanuts for trade-ins.

I haven't seen a price increase for Current Gen but I know it's going to cost me like $650 for the PS4 and two games, which is a hell of a lot for one purchase.

Prices in Canada went up, and the excuse we're given is the exchange rate.

Trade-ins only get you so much because new games are sold very close to, at, or below cost. Because of this, for a video game based retailer to be profitable, they have to rely on used game sales. In short, the mark up on used games is really the only positive margin for the base product in the store.

EB Games in Canada offers a program that is way better than trade ins though. Membership cards get you a Satisfaction Guarantee. Red and Gold cards have a 3 day guarantee, Platinum cards have a 7 day guarantee. Basically means, if you buy a game, you have that period of time to play it. If you don't like it or if you beat it, bring it back to the store for a one-time dollar for dollar games exchange. What you leave with when using that guarantee, you're stuck with, otherwise people would just take advantage of it and cycle games in and out forever... but it's a great way to play through a game or take a chance on something.

I used mine for the first time, took back Stick of Truth after beating it, got two recycled games and put the difference down on a pre-order.

One thing I've always wondered...

When you trade in games, can the company you trade it in with make anything back if they can't re-sell the item?

I mean, I know they're only giving a few quid, but the amount of copies they must have of old games that will collect dust on their shelves is insane.

Continuing with trading news, I am indeed trading in my Infamous this weekend. Another £15 for me!

They're around 70 euros here in Holland.. i'd suggest going to play-asia.com

One thing I've always wondered...

When you trade in games, can the company you trade it in with make anything back if they can't re-sell the item?

I mean, I know they're only giving a few quid, but the amount of copies they must have of old games that will collect dust on their shelves is insane.

At a certain point, we stop taking in specific titles to avoid having too much that won't sell... but I see a lot of older titles just sitting on the shelves. Over time, they drop in price until eventually they're zero'd out and just pulled from the stores.

That's one of those things that I find a lot of customers don't understand when I tell them how much credit we give back on certain games. Every day, I get at least one person who thinks they're walking out with something brand new, only to find out that the 10 older games they brought in are only worth $25 to us... 2 or 3 of which are sports games older than a couple of years, so we either just don't take them anymore, or they're only worth fifteen cents.