The PS4 thread

9 to 5

Please talk me out of buying a PS4 on credit just for The Show.

Please.

I don't have PS4 so you wont be able to play with me!

Wait, you said talk you out of it...

Glad to know I'm not the only one waiting on the days until The Show. Luckily I'll be done exams much before.

Only really been playing a bit of 2k from time to time, Madden and Fifa are starting to go by the wayside. Probably trade them all in next month.

Stoked for NHL on next gen, jeeez.

Please talk me out of buying a PS4 on credit just for The Show.

Please.

I don't have PS4 so you wont be able to play with me!

Wait, you said talk you out of it...

But you will soon, yes?

Also 925, JOOOOOOOIN US We have pretty baseball games!

• Like 2

Fine, what is so good about The Show aside "it is baseball, YOU GUYS!"? >_>

Fine! I'll take the bait!

It's a game where you can play multiple in-depth modes. If you want to just do a post-season mode where your Mets, through the power of magic and fiction, make the playoffs, you can. If you want to do a whole season and not worry about contracts and running your farm system, you can. If you like the idea of building a whole franchise over seasons with draft picks, trades, arbitration hearings, and other in-depth, but fun things, then Franchise is for you. If you like the idea of playing games that'll last only 5-15 minutes, you can play Road to the Show. You'll play as just your character. You'll start the mode off in an All-Star type game prior to the draft. You'll pick your position, and you'll get drafted to a team. From there you'll move up the ranks in the minors, based on goals your manager will give you.

Think you've got hitting down to perfection? Think again. The AI will notice any tendencies you have while hitting (and pitching too), so if you try to get cute and do the same thing over and over again, it'll find a way to work around it.

Now for the pretty things. The commentators actually sound like they're calling the games. It's as if you're sitting down watching the broadcast. They'll mention when you're nearing a record or talk about what you did in the previous night's game. You'll hear fans yell out things throughout the game. I was playing a RttS game a few years back and when I came to the plate, I heard someone yell, "Come on, Matt, base hit, bud!" The stadiums are basically replicas of their real-life counterparts. And everything is interactive with them. If you hit a home-run at Yankee Stadium, you'll see it bounce off a monument out in Monument Park. The players look so life-like, and jerseys will flap in the wind.

Online play is going to have online franchise, which for me, sells the game in itself. I've waited years to be able to draft and trade with my friends online. If that isn't your jibe, you can also enter online Home Run Derby tournaments, which could possibly be very popular among the EWB-ites for some quick fun.

At the end of the day, yes, it is the only baseball game (aside from RBI which I hear isn't going for realism), but it's also by far the best the sport of baseball has ever offered.

Don't run out and buy a PS4 if it's going to screw you over financially. But if you're looking for a reason to get one, you're not going to be able to find a better reason than The Show. If you want us to talk you out of it, then stop asking about it, because that isn't going to happen. :P

• Like 2

See, this is the detail I wanted. People kept saying "it is good!" without saying why so much, nor did any features I tried to find online about it either.

I could techinally buy a PS4 tomorrow, but, I shouldn't. Stop tempting me you dicks!

Plus if I did all this, Srar will just chew my arse up playing this online for her Fifa revenge and I am not sure I could take that. :(

• Like 2

Fine, what is so good about The Show aside "it is baseball, YOU GUYS!"? >_>

Fine! I'll take the bait!

It's a game where you can play multiple in-depth modes. If you want to just do a post-season mode where your Mets, through the power of magic and fiction, make the playoffs, you can. If you want to do a whole season and not worry about contracts and running your farm system, you can. If you like the idea of building a whole franchise over seasons with draft picks, trades, arbitration hearings, and other in-depth, but fun things, then Franchise is for you. If you like the idea of playing games that'll last only 5-15 minutes, you can play Road to the Show. You'll play as just your character. You'll start the mode off in an All-Star type game prior to the draft. You'll pick your position, and you'll get drafted to a team. From there you'll move up the ranks in the minors, based on goals your manager will give you.

Think you've got hitting down to perfection? Think again. The AI will notice any tendencies you have while hitting (and pitching too), so if you try to get cute and do the same thing over and over again, it'll find a way to work around it.

Now for the pretty things. The commentators actually sound like they're calling the games. It's as if you're sitting down watching the broadcast. They'll mention when you're nearing a record or talk about what you did in the previous night's game. You'll hear fans yell out things throughout the game. I was playing a RttS game a few years back and when I came to the plate, I heard someone yell, "Come on, Matt, base hit, bud!" The stadiums are basically replicas of their real-life counterparts. And everything is interactive with them. If you hit a home-run at Yankee Stadium, you'll see it bounce off a monument out in Monument Park. The players look so life-like, and jerseys will flap in the wind.

Online play is going to have online franchise, which for me, sells the game in itself. I've waited years to be able to draft and trade with my friends online. If that isn't your jibe, you can also enter online Home Run Derby tournaments, which could possibly be very popular among the EWB-ites for some quick fun.

At the end of the day, yes, it is the only baseball game (aside from RBI which I hear isn't going for realism), but it's also by far the best the sport of baseball has ever offered.

Don't run out and buy a PS4 if it's going to screw you over financially. But if you're looking for a reason to get one, you're not going to be able to find a better reason than The Show. If you want us to talk you out of it, then stop asking about it, because that isn't going to happen. :P

Did you get that base hit?

I've never played a baseball game before ... except Wii baseball but that doesn't count.

How accessible are those games for someone unfamiliar with the sport?

It probably wouldn't be a problem either way as I picked up NFL through Madden no problem but I'd like to know.

Did you get that base hit?

Probably. I was pretty good at MLB: The Show 12. :shifty:

I've never played a baseball game before ... except Wii baseball but that doesn't count.

How accessible are those games for someone unfamiliar with the sport?

It probably wouldn't be a problem either way as I picked up NFL through Madden no problem but I'd like to know.

It's very accessible. You can make the game as easy on yourself or as realistic as possible. My buddy plays on the easiest difficulty and finds it fun to hit .500 and have 120 HR's every season in RttS. I play on a harder difficulty, which I wouldn't suggest for a new player, let alone someone new to the sport. The sliders have a bigger impact on the game than any other sports game I remember. It's not like on NBA 2K where the players are less smart from one difficulty to another. The players still play the same, but you make better contact on pitches on the easier difficulties. Like if you move the batting slider to easy, a hit off the end of the bat make go opposite field for a base hit, instead of a pop up to an infielder, which is a more realistic outcome.

• Like 1