The PS4 thread

9 to 5

Reviews are coming in for the system and are largely underwhelming. Once it gets some games, it seems like it will be the safe, traditional, status quo machine, the box you go to when you just want to play video games, and that's fine... I just don't see the point in buying one right now.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/13/review-playstation-4-f2c91e51/

http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-review/

• Like 1

I'm not sure I see the point in reviewing a console with numbers.

It plays games! 10/10!

It doesn't! 0/10!

So far the complaints seem to be a small launch line up and the controller feels different. The heating thing going around is a little worrying, especially seeing as my PS3 ended up sounding like a vacuum after a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmXDqH26EMo

Killzone seems to have been pretty well received! I only really got it for something to play, but a non-linear FPS sounds like fun! We don't get many of those lately. (like, at all) Considering the complaints I've heard about Dead Rising 3, Ryse and Knack, seems like this could end up being the winner of the extremely not competitive best launch title competition.

Still kind of bummed that they went with Killzone and didn't get the Resistance guys to make another entry into that franchise. It never really gets talked about, but the Resistance games were a fucking ton of fun. They were never system sellers, but I played all three of them and enjoyed them a ton. The online was cool, too. We need more online mission based, co-op, PvE FPS'. It was all the more fun because the weapons were entertaining and the enemies were pretty tough.

Every review I've read is very positive about the controller, some even calling it the best ever made.

Giving it a numerical score like Polygon did is a little silly, but I do think a console's overall "launch" is worthy of critique. The bottom line is, they're both launching with extremely weak lineups, completely devoid of system-sellers, just as the Wii U did last year. That will obviously get fixed eventually, but right now it seems to be that Sony and Microsoft are asking for $400-$500 for a status symbol. "Hey, I got the new thing!" works well for Apple and I'm sure it will here too, but it's extremely disappointing. There had to be something to sell me on these new systems, but there's no "hook" like in generations of the past. PS2 to PS3 was a massive leap with HD graphics and widespread online play, but I don't really see anything to justify PS3 to PS4.

And there are other issues with the console, the interface still seems to be a giant mess of menus, much like the PS3. Sony seems to have completely abandoned the idea of a console as an entertainment hub, ceding that ground entirely to Microsoft. And, this is a gripe that can be leveled at the One as well, hard drives are going to fill up really quick, leaving us with another $50-$100 purchase for additional storage.

Not trying to be negative nancy and rain on everyone's PSParade, just trying to get a conversation going.

No, I agree entirely with the criticism regarding the way that the user interface of pretty much all Sony products works. It's abysmal and slowly started to get better - but from what I've seen of the PS4 a big meh to that. Believe it or not that's a big thing to me.

And yeah - I don't really see all that much on either side that has me interested as far as launch titles go - though I do lean in the direction of the One in general.

I've never seen the problem with the default hard drive space, I know a lot of people replaced their default ones with bigger ones, but I never felt like I had to. I'm all for going digital, but I've never seen the need for having every game installed all the time. My steam list has like 100+ games on it, I think I keep about six installed at any time.

Overall, yeah, it's a shitty launch line up. I complained about that on the Wii U and it's the same case here. But ultimately, I've got the money to spend and I'd rather have it now, already purchased, so next year when great releases start dropping, I don't have to put down £350 on top of the additional £50-100 for when something interesting comes out.

I'd also point out that the last few generations haven't really had many system sellers on launch, either.

I don't disagree that they've not given an incentive to pick up on launch, but I mean, I want it. Why not get it now? Problems can be fixed and I don't see either console dropping in price for a while yet. Definitely too long for me to wait.

Also, because I didn't mention it last time, man I can't wait to play PS4 games on my Vita. The way I've got my PC and TV set up makes it a pain to play whilst watching stuff or browsing the net, so I'm psyched to have a way of playing sat in front of my PC, or if Mrs. TKz wants to watch something on TV. So glad they stole this from the Wii U. >_>

As for launch titles, I'm more interested in the PS4 side. It sucks that Knack is apparently crappy, but given the bad taste left in my mouth by Ghosts, I'm all for a decent FPS. As someone that never cared for Dead Rising, it's an easy choice. Especially when you consider that Rising 3 is 720p and 30fps max. Hardly next generation. :P

As far as launch line-ups go, I'd actually say that the Vita's initial catalogue might have been the strongest of any system I can think of. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Super Stardust Delta, Lumines: Electronic Symphony, Rayman Origins, Wipeout 2048, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Touch My Katamari, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Virtua Tennis 4 and Escape Plan are all well-regarded titles that were available from day one, yet the Vita apparently has no games. With any luck, Sony has learned a bit more about marketing since then, because the PS4 will need to be pushed more on the brand name than its software line-up in the first few months of its release.