General Podcast Thread

Hobo

I have decided that football podcasts are generally awful. They focus way too much on the negatives, and most of them are an hour long, so it's basically just an hour of whining. It's even worse when they let people call in rather than just having someone read them out (which is something I believe @=BK= mentioned elsewhere and has made me realise how much it is something I hate), because it's always "Diamond" Joe Public who knows exactly what the manager and players should have done in the moment as if he's worked hard all his life to earn the spot and is a trained professional.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of being negative about people being negative :P

• Thanks 1

I hate sports outside of wrestling and a bit of MMA but even I know Sports shows are the worst about that. Sports pull fans from every demo so there's a ton of people with opinions.  I got so pissed the other week when I gave Taz's show a shot and he started taking calls. It's even worse when amateur podcasts do it with Skype. They intentionally worked the garbage into their medium.

• Like 1

My audible account has rolled over and I have a credit to use. Looking for a suggestion. Currently only listened to the two X-Files releases,  Ready Player One and Locke & Key so far. @LittleDaniel had suggested His Dark Materials Trilogy and I was curious if the Audible version was correct. Or even if someone else has another suggestion which may have a full cast or just a well read story of a similar vein as above. 

Thanks 

I don't know if it's your thing but I really, really enjoy John Hodgman's audiobooks for his trilogy of almanacs filled with fake facts. Her performs the reading himself and has Jonathan Coulton with him going over every bit of the book - including a section about the "51 United States" complete with JoCo making up a state anthem for each.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skummy said:

Definitely keen to check out the Megafauna and European Starling episodes, sound right up my street. Roughly how long is each? I tend to get put off by any podcast that goes much longer than an hour.

They've not had an episode hit an hour yet. You're looking at 45 minutes on average

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SHAMNADA said:

I don't know if it's your thing but I really, really enjoy John Hodgman's audiobooks for his trilogy of almanacs filled with fake facts. Her performs the reading himself and has Jonathan Coulton with him going over every bit of the book - including a section about the "51 United States" complete with JoCo making up a state anthem for each.

I'll look into that one before deciding. Thanks.

I've just realised that pretty much everything I listen to is on some 'big' network. between MaxFun, Deezer, All Things Comedy, Radiotopia, and Polygon, that covers almost everything I'm subscribed to. What are everyone's favourite small podcasts? Like a couple of people (with decent mics...) recording something for the love of it?

I miss wikishuffle.

Used to all podcasts were small unless it was an actual radio show putting up archives online for download. I still find Podcast Networks strange as fuck. 

Anyway I love Undercooked Analysis. They critically look at Creepypasta and analysing it and breaking it apart.

• Like 1

@K, the Megafauna episode of Omnibus was brilliant - really interesting, yet genuinely funny and warm as well, actually much better and quite different to what I expected. Definitely going to dip into more of their stuff.

My only criticisms was that they kept repeating that the Polar Bear was the largest ever land carnivore - it's not, it's the largest mammalian land carnivore, and I think they meant to clarify that in the first instance but never really did - and I didn't really like their summation of rewilding at the end, in which they kind of conflated it with de-extinction and missed the point a bit; though that's a pet subject of mine, it's two topics that do get lumped together sometimes, and I'm not familiar with the American context, so it may be that the two are more connected there than in Europe, it just didn't feel like they gave the concept a fair hearing. That's a minor niggle, though.

I liked that they briefly discussed Island Gigantism! I co-chaired a talk on that subject once.

I'm keeping up with Omnibus, and it's definitely my new favourite. The episodes on Gadsby and The European Starling are both brilliant, sharing the connection of being based on the whim of one eccentric lunatic. Their inability to correctly pronounce "murmuration" in the latter got on my nerves, though.

The only one that's been a bit patchy so far is "Heil Honey, I'm Home", though I think a large part of that is because they really struggle to contextualise the show - they keep talking about the American context for TV comedy, without much of a grasp on what was going on in British comedy at the time, or other British comedy shows using Nazis, or specifically Hitler, as a figure of fun over the years, so it was just a little frustrating to see them not quite explore that fully. Though the brief bit on The Fugitive being about Tommy Lee Jones as an Irish cop in love with Harrison Ford had me giggling in public, so I'll let them off.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done a hard unsubscribe from The Adventure Zone recently. I got so incredibly bored of the monologues and just general lack of jokes. I've filled that gap with Not Another D&D Podcast. It's an actual play Dungeons and Dragons podcast and it's very funny.

The hosts all have other projects you might have heard of, Drawfee, Headgum, Jake and Amir, Adam Ruins Everything, things like that.

Really enjoying it.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I've ever encountered Me1 vs Me2 Snooker with Richard Herring.

It was described as Herring "outdoing Stewart Lee in his ability to keep a joke going long beyond the punchline". It's the longest running snooker podcast of all time, in which Richard Herring The Comedian commentates a game of snooker played by himself, against himself, with meditations on the mental health crisis that led him to do such a thing in the first place. He claims that he'll only stop when an episode gets exactly zero downloads.

It sounds like the best, worst idea ever.

Completely devoted to Omnibus now. Even in the patchier episodes, there's always something to make me smile, and I now find John Roderick's voice about the most soothing sound in the world. I may branch out into exploring his other projects purely for that.

And, of course, the pinnacle of the podcast form, in which Richard Herring finally gets to "interview" Brian Blessed. It is extraordinary.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris Hardwick's out at Nerdist, after his ex-girlfriend Chloe Dykstra published a story on Medium about an unnamed ex of hers who sexually assaulted and abused her. Nerdist's scrubbed all mentions of him on their website and even scrubbed the mentions of his founding of Nerdist, and clarified in a statement that he hasn't worked in any official capacity for the company since his contract expired last December.